Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Huge 18 month old?

How much does your 18 month old weigh?

Colin just went for his well check today and he weighs 32 pounds! I feel like that's so much for his age! He's always been big...he was 11 pounds when he was born. And he's tall too.

Our pedi doesn't seem worried but I can't help but worry a little...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Huge 18 month old?

• 26 pounds. And like 33 inches. So she's right on avg/a bit above.

I'd say if he was 11 pounds to start with, he's probably going to be huge.

My nephew was born at 10 pounds almost, and 9 months weighs 25 pounds..1 less than my almost two year old..he's still happy/healthy..his brother was the same way and then leveled big time. He was off the charts big as a baby but by 3 he was right back to avg.

• LO was 30 lbs at 18 months.  He's 31 lbs at 21 months, so not much fluctuating.  He's in the 95% for weight and 50th for height.  He's always been pretty big from what we're told (we're his foster parents).  We feed him a very healthy diet (rarely fast food, lots of balanced meals, etc).  Our pedi isn't concerned either.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• Loading the player...
  • imageLalaMama81:
    imagedairygirl19:

26 pounds. And like 33 inches. So she's right on avg/a bit above.

My nephew was born at 10 pounds almost, and 9 months weighs 25 pounds..1 less than my almost two year old..he's still happy/healthy..his brother was the same way and then leveled big time. He was off the charts big as a baby but by 3 he was right back to avg.

Was that at her 18 month visit, Dairy?

DD had hers today and she was 26.25 lbs and 33.5" and she was 77th for weight and 93rd for height. Wonder if that's 2 different growth charts?  Just found it interesting.  

I really have no idea what growth chart he was using. He doesn't get too wrapped up in statistics and considers anything between 50-80 percentish to be avg. so I guess I use the term loosely as well. She was also closer to 19 months by the time we got around to it. My grandmother was sick,. she was sick, I was sick, dr. had an unexpected OOT. Her well visit was delayed like 4 times. I guess I also consider her avg. becuase when I look around her playgroup...half the kids are bigger than her, half are smaller and some are right where she is.

• I think as long as they stay on their growth curve, the doctor usually doesn't get worried.

DS has always been 90-95% for height and head circumference, and a little lower for weight. We go this week for his 18 month appt, so I don't know his exact stats.

The only thing I'd be worried about with a toddler that big is what my grocery bill is going to look like in a few years Wink

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• She was 22.5 lbs at her 18 months--definitely on the small side. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Sounds pretty big, but somebody has to be the big kid. DD was about 24 lbs I think at 18 months. Here are the WHO growth charts https://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• imageKimbus22:
    imageLalaMama81:
    imagedairygirl19:

26 pounds. And like 33 inches. So she's right on avg/a bit above.

Was that at her 18 month visit, Dairy?

DD had hers today and she was 26.25 lbs and 33.5" and she was 77th for weight and 93rd for height. Wonder if that's 2 different growth charts?  Just found it interesting.  

Could be. I just read an article the other day about how people get confused because some doctors use the CDC chart, which is based on the US where apparently FFing is more prevalent so it tends to be a steadier chart and the WHO chart, which is based on 5 or 6 counties and has larger fluctuations due to BFing being more prominent and resulting in different time periods of more growth.

Some people say the WHO charts reflect what kids should be and the CDC charts reflect what they actually are in the US, which is overweight.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Our 18 month appointment isn't until midMarch, but S is huge. At her 15 month appt. she was 30 lbs and 34 inches tall. I just had to go out and buy her all 3T clothes and they fit her perfectly in length and width. She is also about to grow out of her size 6 shoes.

She has always been big and over the 100th percentile for both length and weight. She takes after my husband who is 6'2'' and reached his full height by 8th grade.

We're not worried about her at all since she is perfectly proportional. I'm only concerned that I won't be able to carry her soon :
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He was a big boy at birth, so the stats seem accurate for what he should be now. 

FWIW my DD was 7lb 15oz and 20.75in at birth- at 18m she was 28lbs and 35.25in. She started as a very average sized baby, and grew pretty quickly into an Amazon.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We'll be lucky to see DD2 pass 20lbs at 18 months. Her appt isn't for a few weeks, but if I had to guess I'd say she's maybe 19-19.5lbs right now. Someone has to make up the top and bottom of the charts, sounds like your guy has the top covered and we're holding onto the bottom. As long as he's growing well and eating healthy and your pedi isn't worried, I don't think you need to be either.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My LO was 32lbs and 34in at his 18m appointment which were both high in the percentiles (I don't remember what they were but 90s).

That is a big size for that age, but so long as the weight/height are proportional then I'm sure LO is fine. Unless there's some other reason or the Dr has expressed concern I wouldn't think much about it.  Some kids are big, some kids are small and most kids are average.

imageimage
  • DD doesn't go for her 18 month appt for another week, but at her allergist appt earlier this month she was 22lbs 4oz. She's always been on the small side but her dr doesn't worry about it since she's always been around 10-20th percentile for both height and weight.
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If your pedi isn't worried about it, then don't! As long as the child is following their growth curve, you don't have to stress.

My DD is small for her age. At her 15 month appointment she was 20lbs 4 ounces and 30.5" tall. She is small but the doctor said she is healthy and doing great!

After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• My pedi always looks at the growth curve. As long as a child stays on their own curve then that is what matters. My DD has always been on the small side- that's just her. Sounds like that's how your son is, just on the other side of the chart. He's following his own curve and that's is what is healthy and normal for him.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Z was 24lbs 1.5oz yesterday at the pedi and she'll be 21 months in two days. She's 32 inches long. She's always been my little peanut though. If your pedi isn't concerned I wouldn't be either! He's just healthy :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 24 lbs.. Don't worry if your Pedi isn't.. If he's tall, then he's proportioned. She was 8.1 lbs at birth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"