April 2013 Moms

Okay - who's tried it? Fess up.

Who's tried to check their own cervix?

A friend of mine said that she did during her last pregnancy after her midwife told her what to check for. She never knew the exact measurements like a doctor or midwife would, but knew that things were progressing.

Anyone ever try this? I checked cervical position when we were TTC, but I didn't have a huge bump in my way then!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

Re: Okay - who's tried it? Fess up.

• imageknitfaced:
    I can hardly wipe my own bum at this point. There is no way I could reach my cervix even if I wanted to try this!

This!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageknitfaced:
    I can hardly wipe my own bum at this point. There is no way I could reach my cervix even if I wanted to try this!

LOL That was my thought when she told me this!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

• Loading the player...
  • imageknitfaced:

Hah so true! I wouldn't even know what to look for either. 

• imageknitfaced:

This exactly.   

image BabyFetus Ticker
  • As much fun as that sounds. I am all good!
    Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
  • I thought about it..  but decided against it i wouldn't know what to check for i've never felt for my cervix and i'm pretty darn sure even if i did know what to look/feel for I wouldn't be able to reach it anyway  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageknitfaced:

Yup this exactly!! I think I'm good waiting till 35 weeks to let my OB check it out. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not me.
    A. Why bother.
    B. My vag hurts enough as it is, why would i go poking up in there.
    C. I won't know what I'm feeling anyway.
    D. I have long nails, and i like them. I'm not going to cut them to reach up my vag.
    E. Again, why bother? Haha
  • Haha I love these responses. Its pretty much what I thought when I heard it. I can't even tie my own shoes or put on a seat belt without feeling like I'm crushing something.

• Yeah.. I'm all good.. I don't plan on fishing around up there. I'll leave up to the doc. I plan on asking them to check me at my appt this week if they don't offer anyways.
    "You get in the bowl." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • During our birth class yesterday, I wondered if this was possible. However, I'm not one to go reaching up there to investigate. 
  • Ok so I googled how to check myself and I tried it. I thought that if a nurse could do it, so could I and I might get a sense of how far along I am. As long as you wash your hands very thoroughly and don't do it after your water breaks, it is fine.

I couldn't reach anything that felt the way it is described. FYI your cervix should feel like pursed lips. If there is space in the middle, you are dilated. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • No, for two reasons.

I can't reach, for one, even on a good day when I'm not pregnant (yes, I've tried) (no, don't ask).

I don't even like the sensation of touching my own belly button. Tie in: any time someone has bumped/touched my cervix (again, don't ask), it gives me a similar sensation. I know it's weird. :)

So, there it is. No. No matter how many women's studies classes I've taken, no matter how many times I've read Inga Muscio's book C%nt .... No.

• imageknitfaced:

This. For reals.

Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • I have not tried, I really doubt I'd be able to reach... but I would if I could because I cannot do a worse job at it than my OB...

To the PP who spoke of possibly breaking your water while checking your cervix... I don't believe anyone could accidentally do that to themselves because my OB jammed her fingers up there with such force I wanted to cry... and no one would be that rough with their own body and my water didn't break even after my OB man handled me like an ape with anger issues.

I am half tempted to tell her she cannot do it again... though she wants to do it every week now. The way I see it... if she cannot be a little more gentle, then screw how dilated I am, my baby will come whenever he does, whether she knows how dilated, thinned and effaced I am or not!

Thursday
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I tried about a week ago and failed laughably.  I feel like my fingers are too short!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Okay, I'll admit...I tried today in the shower. I had no idea what I was feeling for though so it was a fail. I don't think I'll be doing it again.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• imageThursdaysAngel:
    I have not tried, I really doubt I'd be able to reach... but I would if I could because I cannot do a worse job at it than my OB...

To the PP who spoke of possibly breaking your water while checking your cervix... I don't believe anyone could accidentally do that to themselves because my OB jammed her fingers up there with such force I wanted to cry... and no one would be that rough with their own body and my water didn't break even after my OB man handled me like an ape with anger issues.

I am half tempted to tell her she cannot do it again... though she wants to do it every week now. The way I see it... if she cannot be a little more gentle, then screw how dilated I am, my baby will come whenever he does, whether she knows how dilated, thinned and effaced I am or not!

Thursday

Yikes that sounds awful. I would turn it down too 

• imageold_time_girl:
    Not me.
    A. Why bother.
    B. My vag hurts enough as it is, why would i go poking up in there.
    C. I won't know what I'm feeling anyway.
    D. I have long nails, and i like them. I'm not going to cut them to reach up my vag.
    E. Again, why bother? Haha

Lmfao at D.
    DD 4/3/04 & #2 EDD April 21, 2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Not during pregnancy, no.

I have tried before (long before I got married though) because cervical position can help better determine fertile and infertile periods for FAM, but I couldn't figure it out. Too complicated!

Anniversary  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was curious if I could feel something so in general, so yes, I recently tried but couldn't because I guess my lack of long Kermie fingers prevented that.

I was reading a board somewhere else and quite a few women have done cervix checks. Some have even felt baby's head. I can't imagine how that would be!
    DD 4/3/04 & #2 EDD April 21, 2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Definitely not. I can barely shave my legs.
  • imageknitfaced:

Haha, this!

BabyFetus Ticker
    Anniversary

BFP #1: 5/10/12; 5/22/12: pregnancy deemed not viable (probably CP)
    BFP #2: 8/2/12; Due date: 4/14/13, DD born 4/5/2013
    BFP #3: 11/2/14, Due date: 7/7/15
  • If I thought I could actually reach it, I might try it. Like PP said, it's hard enough to wipe my own arse, let alone get to my cervix! LOL
  • I tried once when we were TTC but I couldn't reach it with my stubby sausage fingers.

I found out later i have a tilted uterus, so maybe that is why?
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• imagerandomosity:
    imageThursdaysAngel:

It may be hard to accidentally break it yourself but my OB definitely accidentally broke mine with my daughter! It was already bulging though so it would have broken soon anyway.

Wow, I can believe it though... with as rough as my OB was, I'd buy that she could've done any kind of damage. Hmph, where do these doctors get off?! We're humans, treat us humanely by not being so darn rough for no reason. How did everything go? Did labor start soon after? How far along were you? Only share if you are comfortable. 

Thursday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"