Philadelphia Babies

Lankenau or Pennsylvania Hospital? Obgyn Recommendations? First Time Mom

Hi.  I am pregnant (4 weeks) with my first.  Can you recommend any obgyns?  Anyone deliver at Lankenau or Penn Hospital?  How was your experience?  Need some help as I need to make my first appointment.  I am looking for a smaller practice who is no C-section happy.  Thank you!!  :)

Re: Lankenau or Pennsylvania Hospital? Obgyn Recommendations? First Time Mom

• I am delivering at Lankenau in July (my other two were born at TJUH).  I see Dr. Ufberg and he is awesome.  He does 90% of his deliveries, and shares on-call duties with Belden, Peden and McConnell, which is another highly recommended practice.

So far I am thrilled with him and with Lankenau 

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I delivered at Lankenau back in July with my 1st. My OB is Dr. Peden and I LOVE her and she did happen to be on call when my water broke. I DID have a C-Section but they are NOT C-Section happy there, Peden especially. They just couldn't figure out why my little guy wouldn't drop and it turned out he was wrapped in the cord like 7 times. All the Dr's at the practice are great, I would've been comfortable with any of them. The nurses were wonderful, and the food was too! Great experience. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm 30 weeks pregant and just switched to a Women for Women, which delivers at Lankenau to avoid delivering at Pennsylvania Hospital. I was stressing over the fact that Pennsylvania Hospital does not guarantee a private postpartum room. If someone is in the room with you, they will not let your husband stay overnight. I took a tour of Lankenau and decided that's where I wanted to deliver. If you're debating between the two hospitals, I recommend taking a tour of both before you pick your practice.
  • I've delivered twice at lankenau. Two unplanned sections. Had great experiences both times.
    I work at penn and chose lankenau because
    1 easier to travel to for me when I'm at home,
    2 guaranteed private rooms.

The nursing staff is awesome at lankenau. I also go to McConnell, Belden, Peden, and Finnegan. Peden and Finnegan are my favorites and did my surgeries. McConnell has a pretty lousy bed side manner IMO.
  • I delivered at Lankenau and was under McConnell and Assoc. but Dr. Belden was the primary OB I saw. He is wonderful. I almost can't wait to get preggers again to see them. Dr. Peden was great but didn't see her that often.  The night I delivered Dr. Ufberg was on call and delivered my daughter. He was defintately no non-sense, or at least I felt b/c I didn't have a relationship with him and my labor/delivery progressed so fast (checkin at 4:30, baby here at 7).  But I'd have to tell you to request Dr. Belden

imageeaglesfan700:

I am delivering at Lankenau in July (my other two were born at TJUH).  I see Dr. Ufberg and he is awesome.  He does 90% of his deliveries, and shares on-call duties with Belden, Peden and McConnell, which is another highly recommended practice.

So far I am thrilled with him and with Lankenau 

• I am 22 weeks pregnant I plan on delivering at Lankenau Hospital I love my doctor that's there Dr. Bailey he delivers all of his babies also, I was at Abington but I switched the doctors or nurses weren't nice and I just didn't feel comfortable...but if you choose pick Lankenau it's the best :
  • I also had Ufberg and delivered at Lankenau... I can't say enough good things about my experience!!! I had to deliver via csection bc my son never flipped but I wouldn't trade my dr or the hospital for anything in the world! I took zero pain meds except ibuprofen and was up walking around the very next day!! My son is beautiful, happy, healthy!
  • I'd highly recommend dr Scott bailey at lankenau although lankenau does have 40 csection rate but he is much less csection happy.
  • imageAlizy15:
    I'd highly recommend dr Scott bailey at lankenau although lankenau does have 40 csection rate but he is much less csection happy.

I picked Dr.Bailey too my mom had him when she had my little sister loved him so I figured I would give him a try, I'm not due till July so hopefully everything goes well :
  • I delivered at 26 weeks at Lankenau in February. My OB was Dr. Katy Doroshow. She is located in the same practice at Dr. Ufberg. They are both incredible! They take pride in the care they provide their patients. In my case, Dr. Doroshow went as far as to visit my daughter weekly in the NICU. The staff at Lankenau care for you as they would want someone to care for their family. You will have an extremely positive experience at Lankenau!
  • I had an unmedicated birth at Lankenau and was very happy with L&D there. Dr. Carlson was my delivering-OB, he's "high risk" but takes on normal patients if you haven't been to any MLH docs in the past. 
  • I had 2 deliveries at Lankenau and had wonderful experiences.  With my first, I was induced because my son was refusing to make his entrance at 42 weeks.  It went exceptionally well except that after several hours of active labor my son was having trouble.  I was given a "3 more pushes before we are going to have to take him because we can't risk it" warning and for some reason he heard it and came out. 

Because of that experience, my OB decided to induce my daughter at 41 weeks.  I went in the night before just as we had planned and in the middle of the night they woke me up (I was being monitored) and told me that the induction was off because I was in active labor.  I had no clue.  But regardless, the nursing staff and the "bringers of the drugs" were wonderful, quick, and very kind to me and my husband.  I loved it.  I had severe PPD with my son and mild with my daughter.  I really don't think I would have survived without my charge nurses.  They were amazing. 

Funny note about my OB( Dr. Heinzel Lawrence park OB/GYN)- after the severity of my PPD with my son, my OB walked my medication in to me personally immediately after I gave birth.  (I went off of my meds with both pregnancies and could not breast feed so being 40 weeks without them combined with the hormones during pregnancies and delivery put me into a severe spiral.) He wanted to personally make sure that I started my meds immediately.  After my son was born, Dr Laveran (my OB's partner) set me up with an amazing therapist that did not take insurance and cost a good bit more than I could afford and arranged for her to only charge me what we could afford.  I think i will forever be in their debt for that.

Point of my long story....the doctors involved all care.  A LOT.
  • I used to see Dr. Langan (as a GYN before I had kids), who's with Lankenau and Paoli, and some other women in my family have used him as well. He's very good, kind of old school, not C-section happy.

• I second Drs. Heinzel and Laveran at Lankenau.  I had two high risk pregnancies and they were fantastic with both!  I joke I wanted a  third just so I could see them again!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Dr. Shawl at Pennsylvania hospital. He is amazing!! They are making pp suites now. I had my own room and it was amazing. My nurses were great too!!
  • haven't delivered at either (am going to Paoli) but have some perspective as a Penn med student.

-have heard good things about Pennsy, itself, as well as the clinicians. however, seems that the office (on curtis st) is very poorly run, ie receptionists mostly. lots of patients have trouble with it and complain about how rude and unaccommodating they are.

-as for Lankenau, the only experience i have is a few weeks spent there shadowing. the nurses i encountered were really awful. not sure how they are to patients directly, but they said some pretty nasty things about them behind their backs. one mocked a patient for wasting $ on a doula and i have heard several instances were women were mocked for wanting a natural birth. they made snide comments about another because of her weight. 

i'm sure people have had great experiences at each, just sharing some info from an alternate perspective :)
  • I am delivering at Lankenau in Oct. this is my 2nd child. Lankenau is a great place to have your baby. I had my first child 9 yrs ago at Pennsylvania Hospital, all though I loved my care I was upset that I had to share a room with someone after my delivery which wasnt a good experience at all. At Lankenau; all of the mainline health hospitals u will have your own and not to mention room service. Enjoy & good luck
  • I know this is old.  But I also delivered at Lankenau with Dr. Ufberg.  He is amazing!!! 

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"