Health & Exercise
Options

Any Mom's to be swimming out there?

If so whats your work out like. I want to get back in the water but I am unsure of what a healthy routine would be with being pregnant. 

Could you give a basic work? 

10 weeks 3 days. "I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!" photo e491e466-5111-42f8-9aff-bb214351cd00.jpg Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: Any Mom's to be swimming out there?

• Options
    I'm not a regular swimmer so I can't comment on actual workouts but I did take about 8 weeks of intermediate swim classes while in my second trimester because I was told swimming was a good workout and most of my normal workouts were high intensity.  GENERAL rule of thumb is if you were doing it before pregnancy, you can do it during (although I do note you said you want to "get back into the water").  If you haven't been given any restrictions, I say do what you feel capable of doing.  Believe me, your body will give you clues as to what's too much.  Listen to it.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

My LO is almost 6 months, but I did swim during pregnancy and highly recommend it.  It felt wonderful when I got to my third trimester, especially since it was the summer. 

I like to swim distance, so I would generally swim as long as I could without stopping.  And then I would do sets with kick boards, fins, hand paddles, buoys, etc.  That helped to break up the workout. You could also mix in other strokes like backstroke and breaststroke.  I would do what you can at first and try to gradually increase the number of laps you do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I swam regular workouts for a while. When I got slower, I would swim for time, and added more kick board sets. In the third tri when it was 100 degrees outside, I added aquajog at the end because I was walking less. I would just do what you normally do to comfort, and then adjust as needed. I swam the day I delivered.
    In the very end, the heartburn made it painful to do laps.
  • Options
    I am a distance swimmer, so I swim 1 mile every Saturday morning and 1.5 miles on Sunday afternoon.  During the week I run or lift weights instead.  The only thing I changed now that I'm pregnant is that I increased from one long swim per week to two.  I only did that because I'm training for a 2.5 mile swim at the end of March.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options

I started swimming back in November (before I was pregnant) as a way to rehab my ankle and start getting some cardio back in my life. I broke my ankle at the end of August and then had ortho surgery at the end of September, so when I started swimming I was only just starting to walk (and with a limp at that).

I have kept up my routine from pre-pregnancy through till now (at 14 weeks).

Tuesdays and Thursdays I swim laps for 30 minutes and then am in an aqua fit (aerobics) class for an hour. The laps are great for some cardio, but I'm able to keep my heart rate in a good place easily and the aqua fit has been awesome at helping me build flexibility, balance and strength throughout my body (especially my back/core). I also try and swim laps for 40 minutes 1 weekend day if I can.

I know come summertime when it's hot I'm going to be so glad I kept it up and will love swimming that much more.

Definitely look into aqua fit classes in your town - a lot of fun, challenging and easy on your joints. I always feel amazing as soon as I'm in the pool.

• Options
    Thank you all for your comments this helps a lot. :)
    10 weeks 3 days. "I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!" photo e491e466-5111-42f8-9aff-bb214351cd00.jpg Pregnancy Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"