Military Families

Any Ft. Riley Mommas?

We will be PCSing to Ft. Riley at the end of this month...Any tips, advice, etc?

Also, how is the hospital/L&D on post? 

Re: Any Ft. Riley Mommas?

• I had DS2 there. My L&D and aftercare was just fine.We aren't there anymore though.

Are you looking to live on base or off base? If off base, are you looking more at Manhattan or Junction City?

• L&D here at Riley was AWESOME!  I delivered here in December.  I had the best labor nurse!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been here a little over a year. I live on post in ellis. Most people have found that BAH doesn't cover enough house for their family size so they live on post. But it all depends on where you want to live. But its in the middle of no where, and I can't wait to leave. As for hospital/L&D I don't know. I have standard and go off post. I love my dr in Manhattan. I've taken DD to the ER a couple times and I was NOT impressed. They were rude, and a nurse poked her 3 times trying to get an IV line, and was hurting her so bad the DH had to step in and get her to stop. The next nurse got it in on the first shot. Anyways gl

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!
  • thanks, ladies!

We are actually looking at buying in Junction City. I've noticed the rentals out there are OUTRAGEOUSLY priced and we can buy and our mortgage would be much lower than what rent would be in the area..We will only be there for 2 years, but the way the rental market is, we could rent out the house and charge an arm and a leg when we PCS again lol

• MiahTMiahT member
    It's a bit of a drive (maybe an hour from base?) but if you're looking for a small town feel and much cheaper rental prices, check out Wamego.  I will admit it's been nearly nine years since DH and I lived there, but we spent our last two years pre-Army living in Wamego and working in Manhattan.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A LOT of people find it much cheaper to buy than rent out here.  We live on post in Historic Main and LOVE IT.  We weren't ready to buy a home yet, and couldn't find affordable rentals, or rent we were willing to pay I suppose, so we moved on post.

• How long was the wait list for you guys? It's 9months right now! Ugh! That's another reason we're looking into buying!
  • Just left there after 3 1/2 years. I hated it there. You have to drive to do anything and the hospital just received a huge complaint in the junction city paper about their maternity care. I am expecting and I called the OB for bleeding at 14 weeks. They brought me in for an appointment where I waited 2 hours to be seen but never got seen. The best they could offer was to go to the ER where I later found I had placenta previa. There were 3 girls in my unit that delivered there and said the care wasn't that great at all. 
    imageimageimageimage

• The wait list was pretty short when we moved here, prime moving in and out season perks I guess.  They offered us a house before we moved there, I guess I annoyed housing by calling to make sure all our paperwork got in (we applied online and it kept saying I hadn't submitted anything, so I wanted to know if I needed to fax them...).

The actual OB clinic really depends on your provider, I saw 3 different providers at first, all total crap, I filed an ICE because on called me fat, and ended up seeing the head doc for the rest of my pregnancy.  I didn't go off post because I was told I'd have to drive to Topeka for all my appointments and such because I was high risk (I guess the local hospital didn't have room for new high risk patients at that point?  That's what they told me when I considered switching to standard).

L&D is amazing though, and well woman for my six week pp was great as well.  No matter where you go with the military, some people are going to love a hospital, and some people are going to hate it.  It just depends.

• Hooray for Ft. Riley! We've been here a year, had DD here 6 months ago on post. Have no complaints about LD, it was a great experience. DDs pediatrician, that's a whole different story. We live on post in Ellis as well and find that the commute time and the fact that DH has time to come home for lunch because of close distance to work makes living on post totally worth while. And they're supposedly building new houses until 2015. Double win!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCGorgz:
    Hooray for Ft. Riley! We've been here a year, had DD here 6 months ago on post. Have no complaints about LD, it was a great experience. DDs pediatrician, that's a whole different story. We live on post in Ellis as well and find that the commute time and the fact that DH has time to come home for lunch because of close distance to work makes living on post totally worth while. And they're supposedly building new houses until 2015. Double win!

Does she see one of the "peds" at Farrley?  We got lucky I switched my PCM before we got here, so DS and I are at the hospital, and I LOVE his PCM Meng, but I've heard some bad things about Farrley... 

• Dr. Meng (or is it Ming) is the pediatrician to see there IMO; however, good luck getting him as the PCM. He is very popular. I have him to thank for getting things going in regards to DS2 who is SN. His previous pedi, whom I think retired and I can't think of his name, I don't have much nice to say about (although I felt he was fine for my typical DS1).
  • imageMaxandRuby:
    Dr. Meng (or is it Ming) is the pediatrician to see there IMO; however, good luck getting him as the PCM. He is very popular. I have him to thank for getting things going in regards to DS2 who is SN. His previous pedi, whom I think retired and I can't think of his name, I don't have much nice to say about (although I felt he was fine for my typical DS1).

The letter we got from tricare said Meng, but everyone pronounces it Ming so I'm not really sure... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"