Baby Showers
Options

Hostess gift

Is it common for the MTB to give a thank you present to the person who hosted the shower?  Ran across this on my BMB but had never heard of it before... 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Always Sunny's back b-tches!

Re: Hostess gift

• Options

I think it's common on The Bump, but not so much in real life.  I think older generations have probably never heard of it, and FWIW, I've hosted lots of baby showers over the past 5 years, and have never received or expected one.  I got one for my hostesses, and they thought I was nuts!

I think it's important to give your host a heartfelt thank you in person at the shower and to follow-up with a handwritten card.  If you can afford to and are so inclined, a small gift is a nice gesture, but not required.  A shower is a gift to you, and you don't usually give a gift as a thank you for a gift. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have grown up knowing if you get birthday money in a card from a relative, you send a thank you card. You send a thank you for any gift not at a birthday party in most cases. At a party normally thank them as you open the gifts. You do send cards at showers of all types due to wanting to thank them for the thoughtfulness and their time to show. Some showers are not as fun as birthdays lol. However, every time someone throws me a party or hosts a dinner party I take either a nice box of chocolates or get them a bottle of one of the wines we love to share together. I did this for the bridal shower and Bachelorette party last year I will do it again for a shower. Manners now days are so thrown to the wind it really shows you appreciate someone to go above and beyond, plus a small gift to thank them for all the money they spent never hurts you. 
    Nichole Tampa, FL
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    image1026pumpkin:

I think it's common on The Bump, but not so much in real life.  I think older generations have probably never heard of it, and FWIW, I've hosted lots of baby showers over the past 5 years, and have never received or expected one.  I got one for my hostesses, and they thought I was nuts!

I think it's important to give your host a heartfelt thank you in person at the shower and to follow-up with a handwritten card.  If you can afford to and are so inclined, a small gift is a nice gesture, but not required.  A shower is a gift to you, and you don't usually give a gift as a thank you for a gift. 

This.

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • Options
    I was raised to give host and hostess gifts. So, in my world, yes, it's polite, and just what we do.

I'm Southern. Do you think it's a regional thing???
  • Options
    I always bring something to a party as a thank you (dinner party, shower, etc.).  I gave my shower hostesses a nice bottle of wine and a gift card for a pedicure at the local spa.  I know how hard they worked to throw me a nice party and I wanted to treat them in return.  
  • Options

imageLaineyPaney:
    I was raised to give host and hostess gifts. So, in my world, yes, it's polite, and just what we do. I'm Southern. Do you think it's a regional thing???

Nope.  

I gave my hostesses gifts, but it was more like flowers or a bottle of wine and a nice thank you card.  Same as I would do if I was invited to dinner at someone's house.  Some of the thank you gift ideas I've seen on here are way overboard, IMO, but yes I think hostess gifts are pretty standard.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We are giving our hostesses framed ultrasound pictures in nice frames with a request that they switch the picture out once their grandson/nephew arrives. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I can't speak for the masses but I always give a hostess gift.  I gave gifts to all the hostesses of my bridal showers and will do the same for any baby showers.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"