1st Trimester

Dollar store pregnancy tests

Did you use any with success? I remember swearing with previous pregnancies that I would never use them again and would just spend the extra money on a First Response test, but I bought 3 since I figured I'd be okay with testing early and wasting just $1 each day. I just can't remember what the problem was before. I wish I had written on my charts which tests I used. For one of my pregnancies, I got a negative result on 14 dpo and a definite positive on 16 dpo. I kind of thing the first test might have been one of these dollar store ones. I can't remember what they are called, other than "Pregnancy test," but I know it says to compare them to E.P.T. on the box. If you used any sort of dollar store test, what was your experience with them?
Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
Currently TTC Baby #3

Re: Dollar store pregnancy tests

• AjoydAjoyd member

At 11 DPO I got a suuuuuper faint positive on a Dollar Tree Test (New Choice maybe? Something like that). That afternoon I got a clear positive on a FRER.

Two days later I freaked myself out by testing in the evening with a Dollar Tree test. It was negative. A FRER using the same urine was clearly positive.

Bottom line, I wouldn't test too early with a Dollar Tree test and would always use FMU with them.

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • They worked for me! Got a positive at 3w4d. I've actually heard they test for a lower amount of HCG than the more expensive brands. I threw away SO much money on pregnancy tests the first time around, this time, I ONLY used the dollar store/dollar tree tests and they all worked just as they should. I know a lot of women who have used them and gotten the correct results. No complaints whatsoever here!
  • Loading the player...
  • I used a Dollar Tree brand the first time and it came out invalid. No lines anywhere. So the next time I went to Walmart and got the $4 test and it came out clearly positive with FMU. Just to get a tie breaker I bought a First Response test and it came out positive as well but I took that one at night. I think the First Response and EPT and more likely to be accurate but not by much. I think for just an over the counter test to determine if you should see your doctor it doesn't matter much. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageCourtneyRenee9109:
    They worked for me! Got a positive at 3w4d. I've actually heard they test for a lower amount of HCG than the more expensive brands. I threw away SO much money on pregnancy tests the first time around, this time, I ONLY used the dollar store/dollar tree tests and they all worked just as they should. I know a lot of women who have used them and gotten the correct results. No complaints whatsoever here!

Same here! I got a BFP on a dollar tree test at 9dpo.

Bison (FCS) beats Big 12 Champs Kansas St (24-21)!!!
    imageimage

• My friend used a dollar store/dollar general brand test with success.  
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagelbethke99:

imageCourtneyRenee9109:
    They worked for me! Got a positive at 3w4d. I've actually heard they test for a lower amount of HCG than the more expensive brands. I threw away SO much money on pregnancy tests the first time around, this time, I ONLY used the dollar store/dollar tree tests and they all worked just as they should. I know a lot of women who have used them and gotten the correct results. No complaints whatsoever here!

Same here! I got a BFP on a dollar tree test at 9dpo.

I've heard the same about the 88cent walmart "first signal" ones. I didn't test until 14 dpo, but the line was as dark as it could get and the FRER I took the next day wasn't any darker. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • 10 dpo with a dollar store brand test = BFN at the 3 minutes

two days later, I found it, and it had a positive result on it

took a second dollar store brand test at 12 dpo and got a faint BFP within the 3 minute window

DH was skeptical, and made me retest with a FRER = BFP 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My period was 1 day late, and a 1 store test detected the pregnancy! Was a SUPER faint line, but it was there! And then I followed with 3 others and they were all positive too lol
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageAjoyd:

At 11 DPO I got a suuuuuper faint positive on a Dollar Tree Test (New Choice maybe? Something like that). That afternoon I got a clear positive on a FRER.

Two days later I freaked myself out by testing in the evening with a Dollar Tree test. It was negative. A FRER using the same urine was clearly positive.

Bottom line, I wouldn't test too early with a Dollar Tree test and would always use FMU with them.

Agreed, this.  I tested 11 DPO with a dollar store kind, stark negative.  16 DPO still nothing and temps were up, I used a FRER, obvious positive.  I also did another dollar store test and it was barely a positive. 

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • I took one and there was NO question it was positive. It took less then 10 seconds for the lines to show up very dark. I was only 5 weeks along. I had gotten 2 just because I had heard that they were iffy, that second one is under my sink now.
  • I used all dollar store tests this time here's how it went:
    Day AF was due bfn
    3 days late bfn
    7 days late bfn
    15 days late BFP!
    It likely had nothing to do with the tests. Used a dollar store test for my BFP with my DS in 2011 too, that was fine.
  • I had a negative on the dollar store tests at 13DPO and a barely there line at 14DPO. I retested at 14DPO with a FRER and had a very clear line. I suspect I would have gotten a positive a few days sooner with a FRER. I was temping too, so my dates are good.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • It was the only test I took when I found out I was pg with DD2.  It was positive, so why test any more?
  • I remember with my 1st pregnancy we spent about 40 on 4 test and they all were positive and second time around I got 4 dollar store kind dollar tree brand they were all positive too. I realized they work just as well as the top brand. Save your money! ;
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"