June 2013 Moms

How late is too late for glucose test?

I lagged on scheduling my appointment, and the earliest Saturday I can get in is at 30 weeks. Anyone else do it this late, or should I bite the bullet and skip work to do it earlier? The girl on the phone was no help when I called.
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
BFP#1 - 11/13/11, Natural MC - 12/24/11 at 12 weeks
BFP#2 - 10/2/12, Please be our rainbow.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How late is too late for glucose test?

• I was told by my OB that it was best between 24 and 26 weeks because it is best to catch GD earlier if you fail it, rather than later. 

• My Dr said 28wks is the latest. I didnt have to schedule an appointment though, he just sent in the paper work and I went in on my next day off. Maybe yours can do that for you?
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd call your doc and see if he's okay with you waiting until 30 weeks.  If he's okay with it you won't have to worry about taking off work.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine will be at 29 and half weeks, that's when my doc office scheduled it. I'm going to double check with my doctor when I see her on Friday jut to make sure that's not too late.
  • My doctor said it needed to be done by 28 weeks
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mine told me the closer to 28 weeks the better. I got a lab slip from her at my last appointment and just have to walk in to the lab (no appointment) for the test. I'd see if that's available in your area. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagemajwv8:
    My doctor said I had to schedule it between weeks 26 and 28.

This is what i was told too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Darn...I guess I am pushing it. Thanks, ladies! :)
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1 - 11/13/11, Natural MC - 12/24/11 at 12 weeks
    BFP#2 - 10/2/12, Please be our rainbow.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagetxaggster:
    Mine told me the closer to 28 weeks the better. I got a lab slip from her at my last appointment and just have to walk in to the lab (no appointment) for the test. I'd see if that's available in your area. 

My doctor gave this impression to - she gave me a reason as to why 28 weeks was best (they catch more of the cases?) - but she said she also felt comfortable waiting this long because I don't have any risk factors for GD that would warrant earlier testing.  I'd definitely call your OB back - you don't want to miss the window!

BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • My deadline is a week before my 28 week appointment. It varies between docs but generally 28 weeks is when you're tested so I would check to see what your doctor says
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • I'll be having mine at 28 weeks.  My dr wanted to schedule it then because I also need to get the rhogam (sp?) shot for having a negative blood type.  This way they can draw all the blood at once and I don't have to go in for a separate blood draw.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor does it at your 28 week appointment.  No earlier, no later.  I was also told to move my appointment up(due to scheduling I am seeing her on the late end of my weeks not the early end), so if I had waited my normal 4 weeks between I would be closer to 29 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LuthyLuthy member
    My deadline was 28 weeks -- I'm doing it next week at my appointment. At my practice they also do the TDAP then so that may have something to do with the timing. Maybe call again and see if you can get someone more helpful, haha.

• My OB said between 26-28wks. I will be getting mine done next week at 27wks because that is when my MIL is free to watch DS1.

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • I guess I'm the odd one here, but at my 26 week appt my doctor said she was fine with going another 4 weeks until my next appt [and gtt]. She said that because my weight gain and bp have been good she was fine with doing the glucose test at 30 weeks, then switching to every 2 week appts after.

Then she measured my uterus and said...umm, nevermind, see me in two weeks! But, she acted like the test at 30w is totally normal so long as you don't have any risk factors.

• All of the labs where I live are walk in - no appointment necessary. Does your hospital have a 24 hour lab?
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had my 24 week appt today and I went in thinking I was going to have the 1 hour glucose test.  (Not sure why I thought that but I guess I just assumed.)  I didn't have it today but am scheduled to take it at my 28 week appt.
  • imagekelseypie:
    I guess I'm the odd one here, but at my 26 week appt my doctor said she was fine with going another 4 weeks until my next appt [and gtt]. She said that because my weight gain and bp have been good she was fine with doing the glucose test at 30 weeks, then switching to every 2 week appts after. Then she measured my uterus and said...umm, nevermind, see me in two weeks! But, she acted like the test at 30w is totally normal so long as you don't have any risk factors.

Same here.  My next appt is 3/20 so I'll be closer to 30wks.  OB said to do it a few days before and I'll be fine. I have no risk factors and have had 2 smaller babies already. 

I was more concerned about doing it too early since my rhogam shot is on the same order.  That's usually done 28-30wks.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"