Baby Names

Spelling of Rowan

DH and I have put Rowan on our 'seriously considering' list. But he is concerned about the spelling. Neither of us know anyone with that name, so we're unsure about variations. Personally I prefer Rowan, but are there any other acceptable versions?

Also, I have this on our boy list, but I've had several people suggest to me that it is also a girls name. Does it work for both genders?
I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 

Re: Spelling of Rowan

• I have a nephew Rowan, and a male friend from school also called Rowan. Both spelt that way. There might be other spellings, but I'm only familiar with that version.

I think I have heard of it for girls, but have only ever known boys (I've taught a couple of Rowan's) and would immediately assume it was a boy if I heard it.

If I wanted that kind of sound for a girl, I would opt for Rowena (which I think is super pretty)

FWIW I think Rowan is great name, and would definitely consider it if I didn't have a nephew already. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Our 16 month old son's name is Rohan, pronounced exactly the same as Rowan.  We prefer it with the 'h'.

My daughter did have a little girl in her class called Rowan but she is the only other Rohan/Rowan we have met.  I prefer it on boys but it suited this little girl.

�2008 - 2009 - 2011
    No. 4 due January 2014.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've only seen it spelled Rowan.  And while it may be getting used on girls, it's still very much a male name.

Good choice! 

Met my soul mate October 2011 ~ Married August 2012

BFP September 2013 ~ Our baby boy is due May 2014

• I think I might've come across Rohan before (not IRL, but online), but I almost always see it as Rowan.

And while I have seen it on a girl once or twice before, I mainly know it as a boy's name and I don't think it's crossed into complete unisex territory where some people will think it's too girly.

I think it's a nice name! I like it. (And I prefer the Rowan spelling much more than with the "h").

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We know little boy who spells it Roan.  Pronounced the same way as Rowan.

His mom did say that some people pronounce it "Rone" which doesn't surprise me.  I think it is a legit variant though.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• i have only seen it as Rowan. To me, its totally gender neutral.
  • imagebsinno:
    i have only seen it as Rowan. To me, its totally gender neutral.

This!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Rowan is the proper spelling.

I know some people use it for girls but it's all boy IMO.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I prefer Rowan. Although its used on girls, it's still a boys name. It was ranked in the 300's for boys and 500's for girls last year. It was my number 1 pick for DS.

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

• imagebsinno:
    i have only seen it as Rowan. To me, its totally gender neutral.
     This.
  • I'm only familiar with Rowan

• I know no one with the name Rowan, because it's a popular University in South Jersey, so I think people tend to stay away from it for that reason.  I do like the name though, spelled Rowan.

And I actually like it better for a girl, than a boy.  But it seems gender neutral to me. 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• imageJoy2611:

Rohan - I'd pronounce Ro-han.  The H is in there. 

Cohan isn't pronounced Co-han.  It's basically the same thing. (Although, I like the spelling Rowan much better.)

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• I definitely prefer it spelled Rowan. All the other variations don't seem right to me. And IMO it is a boys name. It seems odd on a girl to me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
  • Rohan with the H reminds me of Lord of the Rings. Like the Riders of Rohan.
    photo JamieMasonWedding-8992-S.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"