March 2013 Moms
Options

RTF vs powder formula

XP

My daughter is 1 week old today and I am switching her from the Similac Advance ready to feed bottles to the powder. She has had 3 bottles of powder today and has been super gassy. I gave her 1 bottle of liquid concentrate after that to see if that helped. She barely ate it. Then I gave her a bottle of her RTF that I had leftover and she vomited like crazy. Could it be the powder that's making her sick? Is it just a bad day? Is it the bottles? She was in those premade bottles before and is now using the playtex drop ins system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to call her ped in the morning if it continues because she is a little peanut at only 5.5 lbs down from 6 at birth and has been losing weight still. I'm just really worried about her tummy feeling okay and getting enough nutrition. It would be very hard to keep her on the RTF formula because it so expensive and I have a very tight budget. I will do whatever I need to for her, but I really will struggle and it would be a last resort to keep her on it.
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.

Re: RTF vs powder formula

• Options
    Forgive my ignorance, but is breast milk an option? (like pumping)

I ask because I don't know if you are still producing, or if you are able to begin with.
  • Options

Some babies have a hard time transitioning from formula to formula.  When I stopped nursing and DS went to formula 100% of the time, it took just shy of a week.  At first we just went with regular Similac but he spit up a lot so we switched the "sensitive stomach" and after his body got used to it (again, a few days) he did great on it.  He was BF'd until 4 months so I can't speak for the early weeks- I think talking to your pedi is a good idea. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageVirginia&Joshua11052011:
    Forgive my ignorance, but is breast milk an option? (like pumping)

I ask because I don't know if you are still producing, or if you are able to begin with.

Not ignorant at all! I am not able to BF because of a medication I take that passes through the breastmilk. It really is unfortunate and was a very tough thing to deal with but its what's best for me and baby right now.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PP that it could just be hard on her switching formula and could take a little bit of time. I totally understand how you feel, my DD was only 5lbs14oz at birth and then had a protein allergy and barely gained any weight the first few months bc we had such a difficult time diagnosing it and then finding the right formula. Maybe something to talk to her ped about? Never hurts to test for it, all they do is take a stool sample. But it could just be switching. I hope it all gets straightened out! And I've always been one that if you're unsure, cal the dr. That's what they are there for and will be able to give you answers!
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies. We are going to continue on RTF until we say ped on Thursday. Her tummy has settle the last few feedings. She is just so tiny I can't afford for her to lose any weight switching at this time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

It might be an obvious question/suggestion but since you are using the playtex drop-ins- are you making sure to push all the excess air out before you feed the bottle? (push the bag up from the bottom while squeezing the nipple to let the air out). If the bags have excess air that could definitely make a difference with the gasiness and general discomfort from the baby especially if she had been taking RTF which is already mixed which eliminates most the gas/air bubbles. 

Another suggestion is to switch formulas- I have found similac formulas are MUCH foamier and frothier after mixing than enfamil. After you mix a bottle try and give it a few minutes to settle all the foam/air bubbles. GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'll second the idea that maybe the bottle is the problem. We've had to supplement with formula since my supply is lacking. We were using sample bottles from the hospital that were almost too easy for baby to eat from. She would suck them down fast, spit up with vigor, then fuss with gas until tooty mcgooty showed up.

We switched to the Dr. Brown bottles and that has made a huge difference. Not nearly as many air bubbles, and very little struggle with gas.

If her tummy doesn't seem to be getting better after some adjustment time, definitely try another bottle.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"