March 2013 Moms

baby to his own shower?

Michael was born yesterday 36weeks. He is in good health and we are set to go home tomorrow. My in laws were throwing us a shower this Sat. Mostly family and a handful of friends. Most of the family seems to think we should still have the party. Thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: baby to his own shower?

• I'd say as long as you are up for it then you should go for it, if not is there a way they could postpone for a while? I do think the wee one should be there, people love baby's.
    I had a shower thrown by my sister when we were there during Christmas Holiday's, I also have another friend who is planning to throw us a shower after the wee one arrives, some people just like having the baby there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I personally wouldn't want to expose my little guy to a crowd of people (family or not) at this time of year and before he has his first round of vaccinations (plus-in our area there is a nasty GI bug going around). I suppose you could always "wear" your LO to the gathering to reduce the number of hands on him. That being said, if I were to bring a newborn to any type of family gathering, "wearing" him would not deter many of my own family members from touching/insisting on holding him. I would try to reschedule especially if its mostly family and close friends. I don't think anyone can be upset over that. You're a new mom who will be exhausted and trying to figure out the whole "parenting" thing. Good luck with whatever you decide! (and congratulations on the arrival of your LO!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • First, congrats on your little boy!  Glad to hear that he was healthy even though he was only 36 weeks.  

How many people are expected?  Do you feel up for being around a lot of people already?

As long as I was feeling up to it, I would most likely still go.  But I would request that anyone sick or who had been around someone sick did not come.  Also, I would ask that everyone wash their hands before holding your son. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• As long as you feel up for it.  I personally don't think that I would want a bunch of people holding my newborn.  If you do go, I'd bring your own bottle of hand sanitizer!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • As long as you're up to it, I would go!  What a great way for everyone to meet the little one!  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congrats on your new arrival! 

I was concerned about Easter since my LO will be here just a few days before.  My OB said if it's a SMALL family gathering she'd be ok with LO going.  No sick people allowed.  That said, it could be awkward telling people if they are sick then stay away.  I'd also feel weird making people wash their hands but would do it anyway.  Doctor's orders!  If i were in your shoes I'd probably postpone the shower but that's just me.

• Congratulations!  I'm 41 weeks and jealous.  Personally, I don't think I'd feel comfortable passing around my week old baby, but I'm a FTM.  I know our family though, and if the baby is there, they will all want to hold him.  If you family/friends would be content to see the baby, and your husband would come to the shower to watch him while you opened presents, then sure.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would probably ask to postpone it at least a week or two. There's no rush now that your little guy has arrived, right?

In my circle, more often than not, baby showers are held after the baby is born. They typically take place about 3 weeks to 2 months after the baby is born. So maybe that's why I wouldn't see it being a problem to postpone the party. I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable with my baby potentially being passed around by everyone when he's not even a week old.

On another note...Congratulations! :)

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"