November 2012 Moms

Smokers

Do you or your SO smoke?
I used to and I quit when I got pg with my son who is now 6yo. I never started again.
But my dh smokes and he has tried to quit but not successfully. The smell bothers me so bad. I don't like kissing him or getting close sometimes. We've talked about it but nothing changes. Ugh!!!

Re: Smokers

• I smoked for 14 years. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant. I refuse to start up again, though sometimes I would kill to have a cigarette. My husband still smokes. If I tell him he stinks he tells me to stop acting holier-than-thou. He has attempted quitting. One time he made it a whole week but he always goes right back to it. I wish he would just quit once and for all. It's too expensive and he has been smoking for 20+ years so I worry about his health. 
  • No neither of us smoke. Although my mom does and all of DHs family does. I can't stand it, it reeks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageClareS732:
    I smoked for 14 years. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant. I refuse to start up again, though sometimes I would kill to have a cigarette. My husband still smokes. If I tell him he stinks he tells me to stop acting holierthanthou. He has attempted quitting. One time he made it a whole week but he always goes right back to it. I wish he would just quit once and for all. It's too expensive and he has been smoking for 20 years so I worry about his health.nbsp;

My dh is the same way. When I tell him he stinks and to quit, he tells me I need to start again. Just as a joke. He says now that I don't smoke it's a big deal. I tell him yes it is. Someone people don't date another person if they smoke and I'm married to one. I really hope he can quit one day. If not for me or himself then maybe for his kids. I pull that card too...saying that his kids want him around in 20yrs etc. We do it in a good conversation, we don't fight about it though.
  • imageaimee413:
    imageClareS732:
    I smoked for 14 years. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant. I refuse to start up again, though sometimes I would kill to have a cigarette. My husband still smokes. If I tell him he stinks he tells me to stop acting holierthanthou. He has attempted quitting. One time he made it a whole week but he always goes right back to it. I wish he would just quit once and for all. It's too expensive and he has been smoking for 20 years so I worry about his health.nbsp;
    My dh is the same way. When I tell him he stinks and to quit, he tells me I need to start again. Just as a joke. He says now that I don't smoke it's a big deal. I tell him yes it is. Someone people don't date another person if they smoke and I'm married to one. I really hope he can quit one day. If not for me or himself then maybe for his kids. I pull that card too...saying that his kids want him around in 20yrs etc. We do it in a good conversation, we don't fight about it though.

I do the same. I tell him that I'd really like him to be around to see DS graduate from high school.. I say it nicely but he never takes it well. I'm just trying to get through to him. He also hates that I make him change his clothes before holding the baby.  

• I've been with DH for 10 years. In the time I've known my MIL, she has unsuccessfully tried quitting 5 times. She'll last for a few months when she quits but always goes back. Thankfully she doesn't smell like it when she is around LO.

It's difficult for some to quit their nasty habits when they've done it for so long.
  • Agreed! My dh is 32 and he started smoking at 7yrs old!! that is not a typo
  • DH smokes.  I did for 10 years but quit when we decided to start trying to get preg.  He was supposed to quit too, but it never took, or whatever.  I get a little more mad about it every day.  Not only does he stink to high heaven, but it means that when he comes home from work I can't count on him to take W and give me time to do whatever (usually finish dinner).  Which pisses me off because a) I'd like to cook dinner in under 2 hours once in awhile and b) he should want to hold the baby as soon as he comes home!  That should be more than sufficient motivation to quit!  WTF?  

I make him wash his whole head, change clothes, and brush teeth.  Sometimes I make him wash his hands twice, if I can still smell something.  I can't withhold our child from him, but honestly I want to because I don't think anything short of a very thorough shower is good enough to get rid of the third hand smoke.  Other than quitting, of course.  

We can't afford it, it's bad for him, and it's terrible for W.  He's such a smart man but he's being so stupid about this, I want to lock him out of the house till he's quit for good.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageredwood807:

Also, ClareS732, are those your arms holding LO in your siggy pic? Nice ink. I always wanted a sleeve.

Those are actually DH's arms but I have a 3/4 sleeve and I'm working on the other arm. I say go for the sleeve. :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"