C-sections

For those who have had c sections...

What are some foods to eat the few days before surgery that will help with that first post partum poop. I've heard horror stories. My friend said bring dried apricots and almonds to hospital and start eating them as soon as they allow food. Need some light meal options for next few days. Besides fruit and yogurt I can't think of much. Surgery this Thursday and starting to freak.
Me:40 DH:40 AMH:.21 FSH: 10.9 2 failed IUIs on Clomid; 4 failed IUIs using Follistim; 1 cancelled IVF due to poor response; Switched REs in March 2012; Currently stimming for final IVF. Estrogen priming with microsode lupron; 6/25:8 retrieved,7 mature,5 fertilized with ICSI; 6/30: transferred 4. Beta #1 7/12:92.1 Beta #2 7/16: 528 Beta #3 7/18: 1,042 7/25/12: First ultrasound. 1 bean measuring 6 weeks 1 day Hb 116 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: For those who have had c sections...

• I drank fruit smoothies and took some extra fiber so that I could avoid the horror stories of the 'first poop' and it was thankfully easy.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • They gave me colace twice a day in the hospital and I had no issue. I have eaten prunes at home and still no problems. I also drink a lot of water. 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Loading the player...
  • Fruit, either fresh or dried. Leafy green veggies like kale, chard, spinach, etc. Red and blue foods like strawberries and blueberries. Basically stuff that is high in fiber and not processed. I would avoid anything white: eggs, milk, rice, potatoes, flour/grains... Also avoid meat and cheese. For protein I would go to nuts; for dairy I would stick with yoghurt. Also take some Aloe juice and vitamin E oil. These really help with digestion.

The day before your C I would get on a stool softener regimen, maybe taking half the recommended dosage to prepare your body. I know they wouldn't let me go home from the hospital until I pooped and it was a week before I did!

And if you have family or friends who would be willing to bring you food while you are in the hospital, prep yourself 2-3 days worth of meals consisting of fresh foods like those listed above for after your C. Not only is hospital food pretty gross and very poor in quality, it is also filled with starches and carbs which will make it harder to pass. Not what your body needs when recovering from surgery and trying to produce milk!

If the hospital refuses to allow this then have someone put a large handbag to work in your favor! Like sneaking candy into the movies...

• The hospital gave me stool softener. I don't know why PP's had such a good experience but my first stool was terrible. Granted, it may have just been terrible because my incision and insides hurt so much I refused to push very hard. I also didn't get my first still until a week and a half after surgery. Doc said that was normal. I never skipped a pill and ate relatively healthy and still thought I going to die. haha
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenichhollle:
    The hospital gave me stool softener. I don't know why PP's had such a good experience but my first stool was terrible. Granted, it may have just been terrible because my incision and insides hurt so much I refused to push very hard. I also didn't get my first still until a week and a half after surgery. Doc said that was normal. I never skipped a pill and ate relatively healthy and still thought I going to die. haha

My exact fear!
    Me:40 DH:40 AMH:.21 FSH: 10.9 2 failed IUIs on Clomid; 4 failed IUIs using Follistim; 1 cancelled IVF due to poor response; Switched REs in March 2012; Currently stimming for final IVF. Estrogen priming with microsode lupron; 6/25:8 retrieved,7 mature,5 fertilized with ICSI; 6/30: transferred 4. Beta #1 7/12:92.1 Beta #2 7/16: 528 Beta #3 7/18: 1,042 7/25/12: First ultrasound. 1 bean measuring 6 weeks 1 day Hb 116 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ahh yes.... It gets a little easier the more you have (I wish I could VBAC but that was never an option for me). Drinks LOTS, take the stool softeners, wear the belly band or what ever it is called (ask the hospital for one), and that will help. Also don't push hard. When you have to go bad enough it will just kinda slip out without to much effort. Yes it will sting a little, but not as much as if you are going before you really have to and are putting a lot of effort into it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just took the stool softeners that they give you in the hospital. No special diet. It was no problem.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just took the stool softener they give you at the hospital, and drank obscene amounts of water.  It wasn't really painful just... a lot of poo. LOL  Honestly, the fear of it was worse than the actual event.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • imageNicoleWI:
    I just took the stool softeners that they give you in the hospital. No special diet. It was no problem.

This. And I continued to take them at home for a week or two. 

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone. I hope it's a non event
  • imageGeeksWithSqueaks:
    I drank fruit smoothies and took some extra fiber so that I could avoid the horror stories of the 'first poop' and it was thankfully easy.

That's a great idea! My first poop was horrible, especially with the air that was still in me from surgery!
  • The hospital will give you stool softeners then buy some and take them for the next few days.
  • I had an emergency c/s at about 9am, and had a regular breakfast of toast and peanut butter a couple hours before and didn't eat anything differently in the days ahead. The hospital gave me colace right after the c/s and if I remember correctly I had a BM that afternoon. It was certainly slow going because you can't really push, but it was fine. I continued to get colace daily while in the hospital.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• I have heard that some of the pain meds can cause constipation. I was off everything at 6 days out and that may have helped. I only took a narcotic for a day or two in hospital,otherwise just Motrin and then nothing bc I was having blood pressure issues and trying to clear my system of all meds. 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Seems like most of you had no major issues. I have been doing colace everyday the last month or so because I had a bout of constipation that was not fun. Dr said totally ok to take. I also have previa and I'm not supposed to strain because it could cause bleeding. I had a forcep delivery and 4th degree tear with my son 4 years ago and let me tell you I thought I was going to die during that first BM.
  • I just took the stool softner the hospital gave me. I had no issues at all.
  • I ate like normal and had stool softeners after the surgery. I had no problems with the first poop. I mean it was terrifying, but I didn't have to struggle.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I have had three c-sections and for me, constipation is the worst part.  With my last c-section, I started taking stool softeneres about 10 days before my c-section, but that only gave me diarrhea.  When I was at the hospital,  I did everything I could think of.  I took every stool softener they gave me, I drank a lot of water and juice, I had raisin bran and spinach salad every day, I walked as soon as I could.  That did nothing.  Finally, after the third day I asked for a suppository.  I got relief in 30 minutes instead of waiting hours or days.  So my advice to you is to try everything you can.  Hopefully, that will get things moving.  However, if that doesn't work, don't be shy about asking for a suppository.   I wish I had done that with my previous c-sections.  Oh my it was bad.  I thought I was going to have to go back to the hospital for a poopectomy. 

• Just eat food high in fiber and take the stool softeners they give you at the hospital!!  Personally speaking my first bowl movement was not bad at all.  Applying pressure to the incision area always helps too if there is a great deal of pain.   

• I had severe constipation after my first c/s and didn't go for 9 days!  It was awful!  The second time around, I took stool softeners for weeks before and drank prune juice like it was job while in the hospital.  I went before I was discharged and it was no big deal.

This last one was a bit more challenging again but stool softeners, dried apricots and prune juice did the trick.

The pain meds just make things worse, so make sure to take your Colace!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagenichhollle:
    The hospital gave me stool softener. I don't know why PP's had such a good experience but my first stool was terrible. Granted, it may have just been terrible because my incision and insides hurt so much I refused to push very hard. I also didn't get my first still until a week and a half after surgery. Doc said that was normal. I never skipped a pill and ate relatively healthy and still thought I going to die. haha

I was similar to this. I tried to wait until I couldn't wait anymore, as I figured it would be easier to let it out than push it out. I took the stool softeners from the hospital and drank a hell of a lot of fluids. I wasn't able to eat solids until I passed gas which took a few days for me. I think the lack of solids and loads of fluids helped a bit also. I took a pillow into the bathroom and leaned on it while I went  and put my feet on a step stool. That helped a lot with the pain. It sucked but it wasn't a shorror story.

• imagestw_77:

I have had three c-sections and for me, constipation is the worst part.  With my last c-section, I started taking stool softeneres about 10 days before my c-section, but that only gave me diarrhea.  When I was at the hospital,  I did everything I could think of.  I took every stool softener they gave me, I drank a lot of water and juice, I had raisin bran and spinach salad every day, I walked as soon as I could.  That did nothing.  Finally, after the third day I asked for a suppository.  I got relief in 30 minutes instead of waiting hours or days.  So my advice to you is to try everything you can.  Hopefully, that will get things moving.  However, if that doesn't work, don't be shy about asking for a suppository.   I wish I had done that with my previous c-sections.  Oh my it was bad.  I thought I was going to have to go back to the hospital for a poopectomy. 

This was me too; I was begging my husband to drive me to the ER so they could cut it out of me.

I'm jealous of all you others... even 15 months later I'm very jealous of your easy poos.

• I was all about the prune juice. I mixed it with apple and cranberry juice because the taste was awful but it really helped. 
  • imagechrisandmonique4ever:
    My hospital gives you a stool softner before surgery.

This, except it was given after the surgery. My C-section was unplanned, three weeks before my due date.

I wish I had taken them at home after the surgery, but I don't think I realized how hard (no pun intended) pooping would be. TAKE THE SOFTENERS! 

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• imageNicoleWI:
    I just took the stool softeners that they give you in the hospital. No special diet. It was no problem.

This.  I was admitted at 7:30am and didn't have lo until 9:30pm so I was starving when I woke up the next morning.  I never had any special diet, just took the stool softeners regularly.  I didn't stop taking those until 24 hours after I quit the painkillers. 

• Lots of water and stool softeners made it easy for me.
  • Mine was a rushed thing so no time to prepare. They do give you something to help you go though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I took Colace a day before surgery, plus the hospital gives you stool softeners during your stay. I was worried about this, too, and I wound up having the opposite problem! My insides turned liquid :) So don't assume you'll have a problem!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageIdani:
    I have had two c-sections and honestly didn't find the horror stories of first poop as horrible as they were made out to be.  I drank juice and lots of fluids both times after my surgery and went fairly easy both times.

This plus colace at the hospital.  I had an emergency c/s so I had no time to worry about what I ate before and I was totally fine.  

DX: Anovulation
    TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
    IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"