Health & Exercise

PP weight loss...suggestions/experiences

Hi Ladies,

My son is just over 6 weeks old now, and I've always been a little overweight, but also have always been active and a primarily healthy eater (though my portion control SUCKS). I exercised throughout my pregnancy (walking/jogging w/ the dog and modified Jillian Michael's workouts w/ my dr's approval, of course). I'm finally getting back into the swing of working out hard, and it feels great. But I definitely have some baby weight to lose (gained about 40lbs during my pregnancy- eeek!) and I just feel generally flabby.

What are your experiences with PP weight loss? How long did it take you to lose the majority of your baby weight? Any different ideas or suggestions? I'm always trying to switch up my routine to keep things fresh. I've tried on a pair of my "fat jeans" (one size up from my normal pre-pg size) and they are definitely still snug on me, so I haven't even attempted to try on my normal pre-pg jeans.

Edit to add: FWIW, we are FF due to some underlying structural breast issues causing my supply to be extremely low, so unfortunately BFing is not an option at this point.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PP weight loss...suggestions/experiences

• I spent the 1st 6 months PP trying to increase my unexplained poor supply, so I didn't start exercising for weight loss until almost 8 months after I had DS.  Still concerned about supply, I went with mostly Phase 2 of the South Beach diet, allowing one meal with a healthy carb per day (otherwise my supply tanked) and I did the 30DS alternated with walking or the elliptical and toning workouts from pinterest and shrinkingjeans.net.  I am pregnant again, but I was able to lose almost 30lbs by January with 2 "slacker" months in there due to surgery and infertility treatments again.  The loss went in stages...I lost the first 10 pretty fast, then struggled with the next 5, no loss during June for surgery and general lack of effort...fought like hell to lose the next five, and then the last 10 came off pretty quick after scrapping the elliptical and just doing level 3 of the 30DS daily (and going to a strict low sugar, no bad carb diet for my infertility stuff).

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Thanks for the input and congratulations on your pregnancy! Same here about the weight loss in stages...the first 20lbs fell off in my first 3 weeks PP, but now I'm struggling to lose the last 20, and that's just to get me back to where I was pre-pregnancy. I was already about 15lbs heavier than I'd like to be before I even got pregnant. So needless to say I've got my work cut out for me!
  • Loading the player...
  • I also gained forty pounds with DS1 and could not breastfeed. I lost 25 in the first two weeks pp and then my weight wouldn't budge. I exercised and ate right for four months and lost seven pounds total. Then I did weight watchers and lost ten pounds in five weeks. I then lost another ten pounds over the next six months. I actually hit my goal weight two days shy of my son's first birthday and that afternoon found out I am pregnant again, hahaha! I am now due in ten weeks and plan on going back on ww right away if I have the same issues breast feeding.

Good luck to you hope that helped!!
  • Well, I didn't drop any weight BFing, so there's no guarantee that would even work for you. I wouldn't sweat that.

It took me 15 months total, but I wasn't "trying" that whole time to lose the weight. In all reality, I was only actually trying (and was successful) in losing the weight after about 7 months.

I used WW for the first 3 months to get myself in check with what I was eating and to help with portion control (this is also something I struggle with) and I only really did walking around the neighborhood as my exercise. After that I slacked off for a while then started back up getting serious again and was watching what I ate, walking, and doing Jillian Michaels workouts.

BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"