Stay at Home Moms

KateMW and Chapter79

I just saw your posts in the McD thread and was wondering what else besides protein shakes you give your LOs.  Li is teeny, 17 months and 18lbs, she's in the 1st percentile.  My pedi basically said we will worry about nutrition later, she can eat ice cream all day if she wants, just get some weight on her.  She isn't an eater, she will have 3 pieces of penne and some peas and be done.  I've tried the shakes, but she takes 2 sips and pushes them away.  She's also insanely active, so what little I can get her to eat, she burns off immediately. 

Do you guys have any other suggestions? 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

Re: KateMW and Chapter79

• Oh I understand. Mine was 2% until this year.  It's a bit easier now that she's older, though, and I can reason with her (ok and heck, bribe too).

Peanut butter has always been with a big one for us- lots of healthy fat in a small amount. Is she having PB yet? She like it? If so, try and push that some. On toast, crackers, etc.

Yogurt is another one of our big ones. Don't get low fat, go full fat.

Have you tried avocado? You can mash it. Lots of fat in there, if she'll eat it.

Whole milk, no 2% or lower. 

Eggs? Will she eat scrambled eggs?  Cheese (mine used to love little chunks of cheddar when she was little).. anything dairy, if she'll have it. Cottage cheese? 

Also- tip from my daughters pedi when she was little was to add some olive oil to her pasta and what not.  Not a ton- but it adds a good healthy fat in there, if she'll eat the penne.  You could do a mix of butter and olive oil. Sprinkle some parmesan on, see if she'll go for it.

I know, it's hard.  In all honesty, they'll eat what they want and when... no matter what you do.  Stubborn things, they are  :/ 

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • DD was a great eater when she was younger, so I'm probably not that much help. She ate tons of meat and pasta at that age, so she kept some weight on her. I mean, she's always been in the 10-15% for weight, so her doctors never really worried. Are you giving her pre-made shakes? I make them from scratch with the powder and they taste just like chocolate milk according to DD. I also use full fat everything for her, except milk since she won't drink "thick milk" What weight does your doctor want her to be at?
  • Loading the player...
  • imageChapter79:

Oh I understand. Mine was 2% until this year.  It's a bit easier now that she's older, though, and I can reason with her (ok and heck, bribe too).

Peanut butter has always been with a big one for us- lots of healthy fat in a small amount. Is she having PB yet? She like it? If so, try and push that some. On toast, crackers, etc.

Yogurt is another one of our big ones. Don't get low fat, go full fat.

Have you tried avocado? You can mash it. Lots of fat in there, if she'll eat it.

Whole milk, no 2% or lower. 

Eggs? Will she eat scrambled eggs?  Cheese (mine used to love little chunks of cheddar when she was little).. anything dairy, if she'll have it. Cottage cheese? 

Also- tip from my daughters pedi when she was little was to add some olive oil to her pasta and what not.  Not a ton- but it adds a good healthy fat in there, if she'll eat the penne.  You could do a mix of butter and olive oil. Sprinkle some parmesan on, see if she'll go for it.

I know, it's hard.  In all honesty, they'll eat what they want and when... no matter what you do.  Stubborn things, they are  :/ 

All of this...I'm too lazy to type t all out...watching the Bachelor! :) 

• Try adding flax seed when you make waffles or any other baked good.
  • One of the things she will eat is PB&J, when we have lunch at home, it's usually what she'll have.  She does like nuts, so she will snack on those. 

She only drinks whole milk, but only at wake up and bed time, other than that, she just wants water. 

Last summer, she was a great eater, would eat anything we put in front of her, then she started hard core teething and now will barely eat. 

She won't eat pasta with butter, olive oil or parmesan... she will eat mac and cheese, so I give her that.  She goes back and forth with liking cheese.  One day she'll eat lots of cheese and the next day she won't touch it... she's a big pain in the butt!  Same with eggs, some days she loves, others they go right on the floor, but I always order them scrambled with cheese for her (I don't cook, that seems to be hugely flammable on this board, but oh well). 

I would love to be able to bribe her... when do they get old enough for that?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imagecrystalbaby:
    I'm unsure if you meet the proper protocol for asking questions on this board. To receive advice, you must post your stance on pouches, judgments on McDonald's, and what you do to keep your housekeeper in check.

Pouches - love them!  McDonald's - love it!  My cleaning ladies are wonderful, they can do whatever they want!

• Does she like Greek Yogurt?  N looooves some greek yogurt.  I will also mix it with a little fruit and milk and freeze for teething popsicles.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imageKateMW:
    DD was a great eater when she was younger, so I'm probably not that much help. She ate tons of meat and pasta at that age, so she kept some weight on her. I mean, she's always been in the 10-15% for weight, so her doctors never really worried. Are you giving her pre-made shakes? I make them from scratch with the powder and they taste just like chocolate milk according to DD. I also use full fat everything for her, except milk since she won't drink "thick milk" What weight does your doctor want her to be at?

He didn't give us a weight he wanted her to be at, he just said she needs to fatten up. 

• imageLiz4444:

I would love to be able to bribe her... when do they get old enough for that?

When she gets it ;)

"eat 10 bites of your pasta, you can have 3 M&m's."   yeah, I totally did that. 

E+C
    TTC
  • imagemissyishere:
    Does she like Greek Yogurt?  N looooves some greek yogurt.

My N loves greek yogurt too! She's also pretty itty bitty and I'm anxious to hear what her new pedi says at her 18month apt. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLatteLady5:

imagemissyishere:

My N loves greek yogurt too! She's also pretty itty bitty and I'm anxious to hear what her new pedi says at her 18month apt. 

I haven't given her greek, she likes the Yo Baby vanilla yogurt.

She has the oddest tastes.  She loves olives and pickles and edamame.  On Sunday I got a bagel, lox and cream cheese platter for lunch and she ate all of the capers!

• You can put PB in her yogurt.  I even love that.
    E+C
    TTC
  • imageLiz4444:
    imageLatteLady5:

imagemissyishere:

She has the best tastes.  She loves olives and pickles and edamame.  On Sunday I got a bagel, lox and cream cheese platter for lunch and she ate all of the capers!

FTFY.  Greek yogurt is great, because it has a slew of good fat and protein.  I have a very hard time in my town finding full fat, plain greek yogurt, but I'm sure it won't be a problem in your area.  I bet she'd love it. 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imageLalaMama81:

Honest question - why do babies/kids at the lower percentiles need to "fatten up" or gain wait? I realize if they have totally dropped off their own curve it's an issue, but if they've steadily been at 1% or 5% or whatever, why does it matter? Barring a drastic drop/plateau or another medical concern, I thought the consensus was that "someone has to be at the 1% or 100%." 

To the OP, not sure if it matters too much, but my DD has plenty of days like that where she eat like 2 noodles and 1 strawberry. I don't have experience with every day, always and forever being like that, but I find around this age that food is very hit or miss.  

She was consistently at 3% and has dropped to 1%.  She's also 50% height, so, while we think she looks ok, she's a little disproportionate. 

• imagemissyishere:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageLatteLady5:

imagemissyishere:

She has the best tastes.  She loves olives and pickles and edamame.  On Sunday I got a bagel, lox and cream cheese platter for lunch and she ate all of the capers!

FTFY.  Greek yogurt is great, because it has a slew of good fat and protein.  I have a very hard time in my town finding full fat, plain greek yogurt, but I'm sure it won't be a problem in your area.  I bet she'd love it. 

I have to go food shopping tomorrow, I will look!  I know I've seen full fat Fage.  It's finding full fat string cheese that's nearly impossible.

• imageNandaB:
    Its kinda cooking, but does she like bananas? You could make her 'banana pancakes'. Its just a scrambled egg with half a banana mushed into it and then cooked in a frying pan. G used to like that.

Scramble an egg?  You know me better than that!

• What do you do if you don't cook? Order out? Eat from a box like prepared dinners?? I don't like to cook so I'm not flaming just really curious. I do cook but I take short cuts whenever possible.

Both of my kids are skinny. One eats a ton and the other one doesn't care to eat much. Ds2 won't eat much at one time so I feed him frequently. He snacks all day but can't and won't eat a big meal.
  • imageLulobug22:
    What do you do if you don't cook? Order out? Eat from a box like prepared dinners?? I don't like to cook so I'm not flaming just really curious. I do cook but I take short cuts whenever possible. Both of my kids are skinny. One eats a ton and the other one doesn't care to eat much. Ds2 won't eat much at one time so I feed him frequently. He snacks all day but can't and won't eat a big meal.

Honestly? If my child was underweight, I would learn to cook.  

• imageLalaMama81:

Honest question - why do babies/kids at the lower percentiles need to "fatten up" or gain wait? I realize if they have totally dropped off their own curve it's an issue, but if they've steadily been at 1% or 5% or whatever, why does it matter? Barring a drastic drop/plateau or another medical concern, I thought the consensus was that "someone has to be at the 1% or 100%." 

To the OP, not sure if it matters too much, but my DD has plenty of days like that where she eat like 2 noodles and 1 strawberry. I don't have experience with every day, always and forever being like that, but I find around this age that food is very hit or miss.  

I am not trying to fatten DD up, but I am trying to help her maintain the weight she's at. She has been on her own curve since she was born, so her doctors don't worry very much.  

• imageLalaMama81:

I don't understand this either. I'm honestly just curious. I always thought kids aren't dumb enough to starve themselves. I never make my kids eat if they aren't hungry and DS 2 did drop percentiles but my pedi wasn't concerned either. S there something unhealthy about being small? Op I totally understand being concerned about only being 1 % though...I'm just thinking out loud
    Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  • imageLalaMama81:
    imageKateMW:
    imageLalaMama81:

I am not trying to fatten DD up, but I am trying to help her maintain the weight she's at. She has been on her own curve since she was born, so her doctors don't worry very much.  

Kate, I know you didn't say fatten up, OP did, I think.

Maintaining I get, especially if they're on the smaller side. I'm more confused about why her doctor is concerned that her DD dropped 2 points. My kids have bounced around a bit - but the overall picture is the same curve w/ no major drops or other illness/metabolic concerns, etc.

Someone has to be the tiniest, someone has to be the biggest and a whole bunch in between. I've also never heard a doctor worry about different percentiles for height & weight, it doesn't matter to my knowledge.  

Oh I know you didn't think that about me, I was just explaining a little bit of why we do what we do with DD. Hers is brought on by family history AND her medicine, so we just try to make sure the stuff she is hungry for has lots of good stuff in it. I was 90lbs at 18, so she's already got the tiny gene. Of course, I also don't want to overfeed her and teach her horrible eating habits like my mom did with me! 

• imageLalaMama81:

Lurker here, but I agree with this. DD was born at the 25%ile, dropped to the 3rd by 9 months, and has hovered there since. Around her 12-month appointment we did a couple of weight rechecks and checked for Celiac, but once it was ruled out and she found her "curve" her doctor said it is just her genetic makeup. Dropping from the 3rd to the 1st %ile doesn't seem like a big deal to me at all. In fact most charts I see don't really differentiate (have the bottom line at 5% or 3%). And now DD is a happy, healthy, active 37lb 6.5 year old who eats well but is still small (this morning she had scrambled eggs, an English muffin with butter and honey, strawberries, and then asked for another piece of toast). 

I'm not saying this to try and contradict your doctor. But to let you know I would continue to offer her healthy, high fat foods (as others have suggested) but I wouldn't stress about it (and believe me, I know, it's easier said than done).

• imageLulobug22:
    What do you do if you don't cook? Order out? Eat from a box like prepared dinners?? I don't like to cook so I'm not flaming just really curious. I do cook but I take short cuts whenever possible. Both of my kids are skinny. One eats a ton and the other one doesn't care to eat much. Ds2 won't eat much at one time so I feed him frequently. He snacks all day but can't and won't eat a big meal.

For lunch, we mostly eat out.  The butcher at our supermarket makes pre-prepared, uncooked dinners (meatloaf, chicken kiev, etc) that you just have to put in the oven.  I know they are made fresh because one day I asked if he had the veal meatloaf and he went around the store, got the ingredients, and made me one.  Baked potatoes in the microwave, and steam in a bag vegetables.  DH also likes to cook.

• imageLalaMama81:
    imageKateMW:
    imageLalaMama81:

Kate, I know you didn't say fatten up, OP did, I think.

Maintaining I get, especially if they're on the smaller side. I'm more confused about why her doctor is concerned that her DD dropped 2 points. My kids have bounced around a bit - but the overall picture is the same curve w/ no major drops or other illness/metabolic concerns, etc.

Someone has to be the tiniest, someone has to be the biggest and a whole bunch in between. I've also never heard a doctor worry about different percentiles for height & weight, it doesn't matter to my knowledge.  

I think he is concerned because she is only at 1%.  If she was in the 20% and she dropped 2 points, he wouldn't care.  But, 1% is off the chart and technically failure to thrive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"