Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Moms with 2+ kids, please come in...

Hi there, I haven't posted here before but thought this would be the right place.

I'm pregnant (due in Aug) and I have a toddler that will be a little over 2.5 when LO is born. He currently goes to a preschool transition class, which means he's in class without me but I'm on campus during the class. Class ends in June. After that its regular preschool drop off/pick up which means I won't be on campus. I'm trying to figure out if I want to put him in summer camp, then straight to school come September (to keep the routine of school), or keep him out of summer school in order to spend as much quality time as possible and then put him in preschool around October so that he's had time to adjust.

For those of you that have 2+ kids, did you have your toddler in school before LO was born or after? What was the school transition like?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Moms with 2+ kids, please come in...

• Options

Personally I think routine is Key for this age.  I would bring him to the summer camp, especially since the baby is due in August.  Not only will it help you because in the first few weeks its pretty exhausting with a toddler and an newborn but he won't feel as though he is being shipped off when the baby comes.  I know that sounds terrible, but I was told No big transitions unless completely necessary for a few months before and after the baby.  I know that is not what you are doing, but from everything I read etc. that is what I was told :)  Because Even in October, the baby will be taking over some territory of his, in his mind, because the baby will be more aware and starting to do more.

Just my two cents though.  My kids thrive in the daycare/preschool environment and they really love their teachers.  Thats just what I would do.  

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Options

We had our second one in October when our first LO was 20 months old.  I was so thankful that he was in daycare and we continued to use it during my 6 week maternity leave.  When I was pregnant--especially during the hot summer--I did not have the energy to really get out there an play with him and I was happy that he was spending the day doing activities and running around with other children.  When I had the baby, once again I was thankful that there were eight hours during the day that he was not stuck inside with me in the living room while I was taking care of a newborn.  I also think he thrives in daycare/school and I felt lucky we had the option of keeping him in it.  

But I should mention I have some SAHM friends who are fantastic and could be nine months pregnant or have a newborn and could still keep a toddler entertained with crafts and playdates.  I would just really consider your child's routine, what he's used to, and what you really think you will have the energy and time to do with him/her.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD was 2.5 when DS was born and we tried to keep her life as routine as normal. As a matter of fact, the morning that I was scheduled to be induced my doctor let me come in a little later than normal and be iniduced in the middle of the week so that DD could keep her routine. (his idea and I loved him for it!) We dropped her off that morning at Preschool and went in to be induced, my mom went and picked her up after nap and brought her to the hospital. She repeated that until we were release. DD continued to go preschool while I was on leave and I pulled her out every other Friday. It worked great for us because DS usually had his awake period right before she got home and so I was able to devote all my attention to her. Everyone is different, but having DD in school before DS really help us all transition.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I only have one kid, but he is 2.5 right now. I'm a teacher so I get summers off. I still send DS to daycare/preschool at least one day a week during the summer. I think the routine is good for him and he LOVES to go. It makes the transition much easier in the fall when he has to go back full time. Trust me, you will also enjoy have a day or two to yourself. Even if it's just for a couple of hours. I think it benefits everyone to keep them in school at least 1 or 2 days a week. 
  • Options
    imagerosesandpeonies:

Personally I think routine is Key for this age.  I would bring him to the summer camp, especially since the baby is due in August.  Not only will it help you because in the first few weeks its pretty exhausting with a toddler and an newborn but he won't feel as though he is being shipped off when the baby comes.  I know that sounds terrible, but I was told No big transitions unless completely necessary for a few months before and after the baby.  I know that is not what you are doing, but from everything I read etc. that is what I was told :)  Because Even in October, the baby will be taking over some territory of his, in his mind, because the baby will be more aware and starting to do more.

Just my two cents though.  My kids thrive in the daycare/preschool environment and they really love their teachers.  Thats just what I would do.  

I agree. DS stayed in daycare my whole maternity leave 

• Options

maybe I'm selfish, but I want as much time as possible with my kids and I don't really care about their daycare routine.  DD was 2 in March, I took her from the sitter at the end of April, had DS in May, and kept them both with me until November.  It was the best 6 months and I feel so fortunate to have that taste of being a SAHM.  

I was switching DD from a sitter to daycare, but I would have done it that way anyway.  I had a friend in the same situation, she was going to keep her DD in daycare 1 day a week, but after a few weeks she decided she'd rather use the money to do something fun with the kids. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your responses. Everyone had really good points here. While I'm still undecided, if I have him go to summer camp and/or school in September, I think I will just have him in 2x per week, half days. This way he will get a chance to be at home, as well as go to school and have some fun with his friends...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think keeping the routine would be the best thing.  Don't worry, you'll get plenty of time with him even if he's in preschool.  It's only a few days a week, right?  It'll be a nice break for you to have with the new baby. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"