Food Allergy
Options

advice. GF kid goes to school

Hello Everyone,

Background- I have celiac but I was not diagnosed until I was 24, so the school issue was gone by then. My little dudes eat GF because our pedi recommended that they do because of the strong family history of celiac on both sides (me, my two grandmothers, an aunt, a great aunt, a cousin..then DH's great aunt, aunt and two uncles) She says we can of course let them eat gluten for a week or so then test anytime we like but recommends we wait until they are older so it can be explained to them if they feel significantly ill due to eating gluten. So neither one of our guys have ever had anything with gluten, except for two times I can say for sure DS1 was glutened while out to eat. I am convinced that DS1 has celiac, not sure much on DS2..but that is beside the point.

Here is my question- DS1 is going to be starting pre school in the next few weeks, He has never eaten outside of DH, my or the nanny's sight so not sure how to feel about this. He knows he eats special food, but because we all do its not really a talked about issue all the time. How do I prep him for this? I don't want him sharing snacks. Also how do people feel about those kid friendly braclets that say wheat free/ gluten free?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: advice. GF kid goes to school

• Options
    I'm a teacher and work in early childhood. In my school the teachers make sure no children share snacks. I would talk to the teacher and see if they have that kind of policy. All kids are different so I don't know how yours is, but most of the children with allergies in my school it wouldn't even enter their mind to try to switch snacks or eat some of their friends' snacks. I think the parents prep them that certain foods can make them feel sick. As for the bracelet, my opinion is it can't hurt. Nowadays so many kids have allergies so teachers are very aware and probably wouldn't need a bracelet to be reminded and the other kids in the class without allergies may not understand, but I guess if there is a sub or visitor it could be helpful. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I teach preschool (special ed) and I have a TON of food allergies in my class this year.  My 3 and 4 year olds are amazing at looking out for each other.  They all know that some kids are allergic to some foods (we've explained allergic as it can make their belly hurt or make their hands itch) we do have a kid who carries an epi pen so we don't "downplay it" we make sure we talk about it in kid friendly terms but that it's very serious.  Each kid knows what they can't have and most of the students know who can't have certain things.  We serve meals from the kitchen so there are alternate foods for kids who are dairy or gluten sensitive and we are a nut/peanut free room.  In addition we've taught those kids with allergies to ask "is that safe for me to eat" when they are served anything that they don't recognize.  Also we have soy butter often and our kid with nut allergies knows to ask is it safe (it looks just like peanut butter) so that if he was ever in a friend's home and is offered peanut butter we hope that that phrase will make the parent stop and inquire and keep him safe. 

I would make sure that your child knows to eat only what you pack or only what comes for them from the kitchen, to ask if they are ever unsure and to work with your child's teacher/administration to make your child's classroom safe and as unrestricted as possible.  Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"