Preemies
Options

Intro-28 weeker

Hello ladies,

I am re introducing myself, I changed my email and have not had the time to come back and make another account until now.

My DS is a 28 weeker and was recently referred for a PT eval, for stiffness in both legs. The eval was on Monday and per PT, stiffness is "normal" in preemies. My main concern is that DS suffered a brain injury, PVL, and per neuro, his left leg or foot will be affected. I am slowly coming to terms with the injury and the services that he is receiving. He just started EI and a teacher is visiting our home once a week. He will be starting PT in about a week (once a week for an hour). DS is 5 months actual, 2 corrected.

If your LO is currently in PT for stiffness, how is she/he doing?

TIA

Re: Intro-28 weeker

• Options
    Welcome! You are a few months ahead of us. My 26 weeker has a grade IV bleed on the right side along with PVL and porencephaly. Now at almost 34 weeks, the PTs are already working with us on exercises and we'll be referred to EI upon discharge. I hope it goes well! Please keep us updated :)

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Options
    Welcome! My boys were not in PT for stiffness but for torticollis. I'm very thankful for EI's services since both have resolved. They received PT twice a month for six months.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejbranden12:
    Welcome! You are a few months ahead of us. My 26 weeker has a grade IV bleed on the right side along with PVL and porencephaly. Now at almost 34 weeks, the PTs are already working with us on exercises and we'll be referred to EI upon discharge. I hope it goes well! Please keep us updated :)

Thank you, I will definitely keep you updated! How is your lo doing so far? 

• Options
    We are also very thankful for EI services and are really looking forward to seeing if the stiffness will go away. Thank you for your input
  • Options

Hi! My DS (born at 27wk5d) went into cardiac arrest at 3 months old while still in the NICU and we were told he could have brain injury because of the lack of oxygen for the 30 minutes it took to resuscitate him. After the cardiac arrest, his legs were completely stiff....like if you tried to force them to bend you couldn't. We were told he may never even bend his legs, let alone walk. He was put on a muscle relaxer and he has been getting PT 2x a week for the last 9 or so months (along with other therapies for other delays). I am so happy to report that now at 18 months, DS is completely bending his legs, crawling, standing, and even started cruising along furniture! The PT said he will definitely walk eventually :) He does wear AFOs to give his legs extra support, but he can stand up without them. We actually even just weaned him off of his muscle relaxer and he hasn't stiffened back up at all!

Best of luck to your DS! Just keep doing what you are doing...getting him the services he needs...and I am sure he will really benefit! Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelilmog_85:

imagejbranden12:

Thank you, I will definitely keep you updated! How is your lo doing so far? 

The doctors are pleased with her progress. Thankfully our only big issue was/is the bleeds. She has been off cpap for a few days now and though she is now on a cannula, we hope to wean her slowly, Our next step is feeding!

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Options
    Welcome :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"