December 2012 Moms

Swaddle Ended Up Over Face

We use AA swaddle blankets. I checked my video monitor this morning and noticed that I could not see my daughter's face. When I checked on her I saw that she had pulled her arms loose enough that they could move but not enough to pop them out. She was resting her arm on her face which meant she was pulling the blanket over her face. Has this happened to anyone else or are we not swaddling her correctly? I put her in a sleep sack tonight but we liked using the blanket better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

Re: Swaddle Ended Up Over Face

• I don't like using those blankets for swaddling. They seem too stretchy or something as LO always frees herself from them too. I like using the Halo sleep sack with attached swaddler, those work great!
  • I swaddled dd tight, tight but she can still sometimes shimmy herself and loosen the fabric. I now swaddled in an A&A and then use a cotton SwaddleMe over it. It works great for us.

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This happens to DS all the time because he likes to sleep with an arm above his head. We started swaddling just 1 arm at night so he could put it over his head without pulling the blanket with it.
    image image image
  • I've noticed it before and it freaked me out. I just try to swaddle tighter but lo is pretty strong. I end up going in a couple times a night if it looks like he's loosened it. I also use the aa muslin and try to find comfort in the fact they are lightweight. Can't wait to not swaddle anymore
  • I have started using the AA swaddle blanket with a cotton swaddle me over it. LO is too tall for the small halo sleep swaddle and could break free of a regular cotton swaddle. That combo has worked great for us for two weeks.
    I actually just started swaddling her with her arms in first time since birth when we moved her to the crib. She has been sleeping great!
  • imageLaurakidd88:
    I've noticed it before and it freaked me out. I just try to swaddle tighter but lo is pretty strong. I end up going in a couple times a night if it looks like he's loosened it. I also use the aa muslin and try to find comfort in the fact they are lightweight. Can't wait to not swaddle anymore

You can try not swaddling. We stopped a while ago bc LO seemed to prefer having his arms free, and he is sleeping well. That doesn't happen with every baby, I know, but you could be one of us lucky ones ::insert mobile smiley::
  • We're in the same boat. If it's during a nap when she's in her swing and I'm right there, I normally try to fold it down a little wo waking her up. If I can't, I won't change it as long as I can see her nose and know that she can breathe.

I'm also looking forward to not swaddling, but she'll still startle herself awake. Anyone know when they tend to grow out of that?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• This happens all the time to DD using the AA swaddle blankets. I recently switched over to the velcro kind because if she gets her arms out it doesn't pull over her face.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This happened to us too. We use the halo sleep sack with Velcro swaddle. But one night it wasn't as tight as it should have been and he got his arms up along with the fabric. Luckily I could hear him trying to suck on his hands, which prompted me to check up on him. The experience was scary! And now I will always make sure his arms are completely secure.
  • imageMrsBigTime:
    I swaddled dd tight, tight but she can still sometimes shimmy herself and loosen the fabric. I now swaddled in an Aamp;A and then use a cotton SwaddleMe over it. It works great for us.

We used to do this too before DS grew out of the swaddleMe sacks we had. It worked really well. Now we use the halo swaddle sleep sack for convenience and because the double swaddle is too warm for him now we live in Cali
  • I use this method, but with an AandA swaddle instead of the SwaddleMe

https://styleberryblog.com/thesecretswaddlemysleepsolution
  • Check out the double swaddle... Use a receiving blanket first to secure the arms, then swaddle with the A and A blanket.
    ~~Kelly~~ Mommy to Aiden 6/2007 and Lilah 2/2010 www.kellybeans.wordpress.com BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageBeth.1212:
    imageLaurakidd88:
    I've noticed it before and it freaked me out. I just try to swaddle tighter but lo is pretty strong. I end up going in a couple times a night if it looks like he's loosened it. I also use the aa muslin and try to find comfort in the fact they are lightweight. Can't wait to not swaddle anymore

You can try not swaddling. We stopped a while ago bc LO seemed to prefer having his arms free, and he is sleeping well. That doesn't happen with every baby, I know, but you could be one of us lucky ones ::insert mobile smiley::

Did it take awhile for your LO to settle? When I put mine in his crib he flails and cries until he's swaddled. When he breaks loose he wakes up.
  • This is why we can't/don't use a blanket to swaddle LO. We have YET to find a swaddle tight enough to hold her...even the nurses in the hospital couldn't get it tight enough to hold her. We've used the Swaddle Mes every night since we got home, and although she occasionally manages to get a couple of fingers out from under the swaddle panels, or an arm loose enough to stink her fingers out of the top of it, it's tight enough she can't get it up to her face.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Yes! It's happened a few times with our DS. We use Halo Sleepsacks and Swaddlemes now instead.
  • Two words --> Miracle Blanket.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageStefandTodd:
    Two words --> Miracle Blanket.

Yes! This is the best way to secure their arms. Mine likes to play Houdini as well but has yet to escape the Miracle Blanket. 

BFP#1 2/18/2011, EDD 10/18/2011, natural m/c 2/28/2011 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#2 5/28/2011, EDD 2/1/2012, chemical pg
    BFP#3 10/22/2011, EDD 6/30/2012, natural m/c 11/3/2011 @ 6 weeks
    BFP#4 4/16/2012, EDD 12/24/2012, Beta #1 23 @ 10dpo, Beta #2 68 @ 12dpo, Beta #3 370 @ 16dpo, Saw baby and heartbeat on 5/11/2012.

It's a boy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Happened to us too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"