Attachment Parenting
Options

Best carrier for Plus sized gals?

I know you guys get of questions about carriers but I'm not sure I saw anything in regards specifically to plus sized. I think the Maya ring sling in the largest could work from the research I've done but wondering if there are any other options for me?  The ergo doesn't fit at all but I tried when I was already 20 weeks pregnant.  I'm a size 22, 52" waist if that helps.  I weigh 225 pre pregnancy but its more in my hips and thighs then stomachs if any of those details help!

Also, we're expecting a very large baby if that helps as well, they're estimating he will be about a 10lber.  By ultrasound at 30 weeks they said he's already about 5.5lbs, so he will be a very big baby!

TIA! 

-adorUHbuL

Re: Best carrier for Plus sized gals?

• Options
    Action Baby Carrier makes a plus size carrier.  It's not a normal option anymore, but I think they still do them by special request.
    imageimage
  • Options

The Beco Butterfly II and the Gemini have very large waistbands.  I'm like an 18/20 and I've got about 5-6in on either end of extra fabric on the waistband.  

Also, Sleeping Baby Productions Ring Slings are sizable.  She'll make them as long as you like, and her prices are fabulous.  She does great work and is very fast with turnaround. 

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have an ergo sport.  It is supposed to extend to fit 55 inches.  I believe ergo also sells a waist band extender.

I would try to find a store that lets you try them on so you can get a good fit.  Maybe shop for one a couple weeks after baby arrives and use a stroller before that time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the responses! Quality wise which is better: the maya or the Sbp?
    -adorUHbuL

• Options
    When I gave birth to my DD I was a 22/24 and pretty sure my waist was around the size you describe. I used a SBP XXL ring sling when she was itty bitty. The tail ended up being pretty long so I could probably have used an XL or L. I used a Becco butterfly II and it was okay. The waist band was almost to the end but I could wear it. I didn't care for it while at my largest only because with my chest I felt like the inside harness was riding to high in a front carry. Once I lost weight it was fine. I just got a plus sized Kinderpack and I'm liking it a lot. I also have a size 7 and a size 6 wrap that I can do a Foward wrap cross carry in. I own a didytai a wrap converted Mei tai and that is probably one of my favorite right now. There are lots of option for wearing your baby even as a plus size woman. I do reccomend seeing if your area has a baby wearing group so you could try out multiple options, too see what you like best.
  • Options
    I  had the same concern as I'm plus sized and wanted a carrier. I have a moby which fits but didn't work well for DD and I. Then I got a boba 3g which is honestly my little side kick. My baby was also 9 lbs she  fits great. Oh and another plus about boba 3g, I didn't need an infant insert or a waist extender, which with an ergo I would have needed both. I'd recommend the boba 3g!

• Options
    I'm about the same size as you. I have an Ergo Sport that works well. All my RS's are large or XL. (Go for one thats anywhere from 75-80 inches long and you'll have a decent length tail.) I have a Mei Tie that works to, but I can't tell you who made it off the top of my head..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"