March 2012 Moms
Options

My LO will not eat soild food

My Lo is turning a year old in less than a week. He loves his pureed food and started munching mum mum biscuits, but when I try to give him food with chunks in it he gags. I keep trying, but I don't want him to choke. He enjoys eating and drinking his bottle...just not solids. Should I be worried or is he just not ready and will get there on his own time? My coworker with a 1 year old told me to stop feeding him pureed food, but I can't do that he needs his nourishment. Please help! The transitions is stressful. Any tips would be helpful.

Re: My LO will not eat soild food

• Options
    As long as the chunks are small enough he won't choke. Gagging, while scary at first, is not the same as choking. Have you tried feeding him solids off of a fork? Sometimes DS is intent on chucking all the food from his tray so I just fork feed him.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    II haven't tried the fork, but I will. Open to all suggestions. Thanks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know my son never liked any of the chunky baby food. I think it was too confusing with the different textures. Have you tried any finger foods like diced up fruits or veggies? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD will not eat chunky solid food, so I am going to try the fork too!!
  • Options

I'm in the same boat. 1 yr next week and still gagging. I just daily keep trying to introduce food with chunkier texture to get him use to it and if he refuses after a few bites back to mush I go. Just keep trying is what I would do. But don't go off what I say since mine is still doing the same.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    All babies get there in their own time. Try not to worry. :) Just keep trying and eventually he'll get the hang of it. And yes, gagging does not equal choking, just keep the chunks small and he'll be fine. DS gags almost any time he tries something new for the first time, but then he eats it right up after a few more tries. GL!
  • Options

Your coworker is wrong - just do whatever works. Your LO will come around in his own time. I think a year old is too early to worry about it. If he's eating, gaining weight, and is healthy, then whatever, right? 

Have you tried giving him slices of hard solids, like apple, carrot, or cucumber? DD really enjoyed those when we were starting her on chunky foods. Not small enough to choke on, but a big slice that he can hold in his fist and such and chew on. She much, much preferred feeding herself to being fed with a spoon. I later also gave her big hunks of banana, kiwi, etc that are easier to eat a lot of.

Would something like meaty tomato sauce might be good because it's mostly loose, but has some chunks to it? Or what about sloooowly pureeing his food less and less? Like, very, very gradually, so the change is barely perceptible each time... hmmm... that could work! 

Gagging is pretty common when they start eating more solid foods, and like PP said, it's very different from choking. They just need to get used to what it's like to eat chunky foods, and then they get over the gagging.

Regardless, I'd just keep trying it with him until it works, and save worrying for much later.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

Have you tried steaming or roasting carrots or sweet potatoes?  SP's get SOOOO soft when you bake them that if you cut them up after, it would be near impossible to choke on them. Also, Ritz crackers are good. Or try spreading some of the chunky puree on the cracker or mum mum.

I found w/ my DD when trying to transition from purees to solids, that she knew that if she didnt eat a lot, she would get a pouch or two.  So I just stopped the pouches.  Or I didn't give them in the highchair after a "failed" meal. Eventually she started eating more.  

I also second the gagging being normal.  Babies have that highly sensitive gag reflex.  It is super scary.  But normal. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"