June 2012 Moms
Options

Bf question...

I'm still nursing through the night...my pedi and everything else says infants this age can go through the night without nursing...I know it's going to be so hard to wean because DS is also comfort nursing. He doesn't take a paci. Anyone else still nursing through the night?

Re: Bf question...

• Options
    Yep. I know it's because DS is hungry, though. He is extremely distracted during the day and even nursing in a adrkened, quiet room he might get three full sessions during the day and a few more 5 or 10 minute sessions. Add to that he moves non stop.

I know he's not getting enough during the day but nighttime feedings are all business. I try to offer every 2 hours during the day to try to get daytime intake to increase, but he'll refuse or only nurse for a couple minutes each time.

Because of all of that, I'm not going to night wean. He's up every 3 hours to nurse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes. Still night nursing here. I do it because he needs it. He doesn't intake enough during the day so I know he wakes genuinely hungry.
    Are there others ways to soothe him? Maybe picking him up and rocking him a bit?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wish to goodness that I could have been successful at BF. I kind of envy all you ladies, night wakings and all.

• Options
    Just this morning I resigned myself to the fact that my son gets up once a night on a regular basis. Usually, it is because he poops, but then the fastest way to get him back down is to nurse. He is otherwise, quite angry.
  • Options

About half the time she sleeps from 7pm to sometime between 4:30-6am, nurses and goes back down.  Maybe 3x per week she wakes between 2-3am, nurses then sleeps until 7am.  

Our pedi said if we don't think she's actually hungry at night we can offer her an oz of warm water in a bottle to try to curb the habit (basically not "rewarding" a night waking with nursing).  But I think my girl is actually hungry so we haven't tried that yet.   

image   image

• Options

We still are at least 4x / night. I don't rush to DD but if she cries I pick her up and nurse her.

I won;t night wean until she can communicate better. I know my pedi will say that we should CIO but I won't.

Kellymom has great topics on night feedings. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Thanks all! Good to know I'm not the only one..;)
  • Options
    My LO wakes up one time each night to nurse.  I don't mind but...since I'm now pregnant I'm going to try to start weaning her within the next few months!  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yep, we still nurse to sleep and at least 2x throughout the night.  My pedi said I can night wean/sleep train if it bothers me.  I'm going to tough it out.  I miss sleep, but my DS wont be this little forever.  Also, he doesn't like his bottle and I think he makes up for missed ounces at night when mama is home. 

When it comes down to it, you will know what it right for you and your LO.  Go with your gut and whatever you choose will be the best thing for you both.  GL!

First we had eachother.5.27.11
    Then we had you.6.16.12
    Now we have everything.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

You are definitely not alone and I don't think its out of the norm to still be night nursing at this point. 

Still nursing 2-3 times a night, but this is down from 4-5 a month ago. 

Not planning on doing anything about it. I don't think its comfort nursing anymore (he used to do that during the day but now never does). His daytime intake is 6-10 oz from the bottle and at best 2 nursing sessions, one side only. Try as we might we can't get him to eat more during the day. So nightime feeding is obviously going to continue.  If it makes you feel any better my pedi says he DOES need to eat at night, so I really just think it depends on the kid (based on daytime intake, weight etc.) and of course the pedi.

• Options

imageunaveragejane:
    I wish to goodness that I could have been successful at BF. I kind of envy all you ladies, night wakings and all.

This makes sense to me. I'm sorry that BF didn't work for you.I had a terrible time with thrush and really wanted to quit, and still do. BUT at the same time I feel very lucky that I have been able to BF and that my kid wants to see me 2-3 times a night, even if its really about hunger and not me. I started off pretending to like the night waking to see if I could trick myself into being less stressed. And now I've realized that if not for those night wakings I wouldn't get to see him from 11am to 6am.  I guess I'm not ready to sleep through the night!

• Options

DS still wakes several times at night wanting to nurse. We bed share so it's minimally disruptive to either of our sleep. I don't mind at all and I couldn't even tell you how many times it happens. Sometimes he just needs a quick comfort back to sleep and sometimes it's a serious eating session. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageStarbear06:
    Yes. Still night nursing here. I do it because he needs it. He doesn't intake enough during the day so I know he wakes genuinely hungry. Are there others ways to soothe him? Maybe picking him up and rocking him a bit?

im thinking he's hungry as well,....he is easily distracted during the day and eats mostly at night.. 

• Options
    I still nurse to sleep and night nurse. She was down to nursing twice a night, but lately she's been back up to 3-4. I'm exhausted, but I'd really like to let her lead with what she needs/wants. I'm certainly grateful I'm a SAHM, I don't think I could handle these frequent wakings if I worked out of the home!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageviolajack:

DS still wakes several times at night wanting to nurse. We bed share so it's minimally disruptive to either of our sleep. I don't mind at all and I couldn't even tell you how many times it happens. Sometimes he just needs a quick comfort back to sleep and sometimes it's a serious eating session. 

this is us too 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"