VBAC

Male Doctors hate VBAC?

I've noticed in my area that the only OBGYNs that will even consider a VBAC are all female. Male doctors won't even attempt it. Is this normal>
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Male Doctors hate VBAC?

• My ob is a male, he was super supportive, although it was my intent to vbac, he suggested it before I told him.

he was not on call the night I delivered, the on call doctor was female, she didnt realize I was vbacing, and was livid when she found out.  She was very unsupportive. And I made decisions out of fear she was going to force me into a rcs.

I don't think gender has anything to do with it for,what I have seen.  But my hospital has a really low vbac rate, less than 20 a year, which leads me to think my ob is the only one who does them.  The day after he came to see me, practically beaming, saying how happy he was that I vbaced, and saying how much easier it was. 

• I definitely wouldn't make that correlation in my experience.

I'm seeing a male OB and he's more pro-VBAC than I am. In fact, he keeps forgetting I'm opting for a RCS at my due-date rather than induction. Even with LO measuring on the large side he hasn't even blinked. I'm going in for another growth ultrasound, but he says he just wants "all the info possible" for when the time comes.

Meanwhile, when I saw the female OB while mine was on vacation last week, she commented that with the ultrasound results she saw, she'd suggest a RCS over VBAC if my next results were similar to the first ones.

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a female doctor do my c/s and tell me I would never be able to VBAC.  My male doctor was a huge supporter of my VBAC.  He never wavered in thinking I could do it.  What's between a doctor's legs has nothing to do with what kind of doctor they will be--whether they support VBAC, how empathetic they are, etc.  In fact, I've actually had better experiences with male doctors overall.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My area seems to be this way then, although my hospitals VBAC rate is less than 6%. I had a male doctor last time and even though I was a FTM he wanted to schedule a c-section pretty much no matter what, he had to deal with induction though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pretty much opposite in my experience.  My previous OB (female) was definitely pro-section and I know at least one of the other females in the practice was anti-VBAC.  I switched providers to a solo male who is the VBAC king in our area. 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• My OB is male and he has been very supportive of VBAC. It seems that the majority of the OBs in my area are pro-VBAC though. The city is trying to decrease the c/s rate overall and most OBs are allowing women to go to 42 weeks without mentioning c/s at all, unless there is a medical reason for one. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKurimja1210:
    My OB is male and he has been very supportive of VBAC. It seems that the majority of the OBs in my area are pro-VBAC though. The city is trying to decrease the c/s rate overall and most OBs are allowing women to go to 42 weeks without mentioning c/s at all, unless there is a medical reason for one. 

I need to move!  What city are you in?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The very best VBAC OB in MN (and possibly further out than that) is male.  He's also a huge advocate of delivering vaginally with breech and multiples.
    Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In my practice, I definitely got the strongest "VBAC is scary" lecture from the one male doctor in the practice. I think men being anti-VBAC probably fits certain stereotypes about their gender, but obviously, many male docs are breaking that mold.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The male doctor at my practice was the first person who brought up having a VBAC back when I was in my first tri. He was very positive and said I was such a good candidate and that he would encourage me to go for it which is exactly what I wanted to hear.

• The male OB in my practice was actually more supportive than the female OB for my VBAC.  That being said, irrespective of who was on call, they were both going allow me to attempt. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"