Toddlers: 24 Months+

Tricky People...

Has anyone started teaching this? Have any suggestions on how to teach this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tricky People...

• "Stranger Danger" has been replaced with the idea of "Tricky People". The idea is that, one day, your child could need to talk to a stranger (a police officer, a grocery store employee, etc), if lost or whatever. Plus, a bunch of scary numbers about how much more likely a child is to get abused by someone who s/he knows.

I'm computer illiterate, but Google Tricky People vs. Stranger Danger and it will come up. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Better??

DD just turned 3 and we have started letting her walk with us a the grocery store and other places.

However, at a recent birthday party she was happy to walk up and sit in anyone's lap. It bothers me that she might be a easy to go with someone she didn't know . I don't want to make her afriad of all people but I do want her to understand never to go with strangers, not to take candy from strangers, etc.

We have taught her all our immediate family members full names and are working on our phone numbers for emergencies. But I am unsure of how to approach this subject.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • There's a good book called, "The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers".  It might be a good place to start.  It's nice because it's taught in a non-scary way.
  • Our daycare also teaches it which is helpful so I can reiterate it at home.

I do some role play and have them act out what they'd do if a stranger tried to get them to goi n the car, eat something, find their pet, what have you... (not that I pretend to grab them but tell them to show me what they'd do. Maybe I should do the pretending part...).  I get the tricky people concept but I am not sure how at the age of 3 to really explain all that since they don't really 'get' that people are capable of terrible things. We talk  separately about our privates and not letting anyone look at them or touch them, good touch/bad touch, and again, role play a little, what do you say/do if someone touches you in a way you don't like.  I also try to encourage them to look out for each other, especially DD for DS b/c he is the one who is more outgoing w/ strangers and who does not go along with my questions & role play as easily... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"