Cloth Diapering

Telling others you plan to cloth diaper

I really wanted to cloth diaper my first child, but we were using my sister's washer and dryer at that point and she was flat against us cloth diapering.  So we didn't.  We're currently TTC and we have our own washer and dryer and I'm totally excited to cloth diaper our next baby.  I've done tons of research and I know exactly what I'm going to need to start up and get things going. 

Anyway, today my sister was over my house and I was looking at some cute diapers and she was like "what are those?"  So I told her that we would be cloth diapering our next LO and the look on her face was priceless....like I'd lost my mind.  

I've mentioned it to couple other people and I get the same reaction.  Did any of you get similar responses when you started to cloth diaper and told others about it?

Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
<3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
Asher Benjamin  April 2010
Lola Aisling  May 2014

Re: Telling others you plan to cloth diaper

• I got more side-eyes while I was pregnant because people who knew nothing about CDing assumed I wouldn't stick to it.  Now that we're doing it, I've only gotten positive reactions.  Most people are pretty curious about it.

ETA: Of course, it's possible that people just don't want to be outright rude to my face.  Who knows what they say behind my back Wink

• Yup, I get all kinds of responses.

But you know what, I don't ask them to change my child's diaper so I don't really care.

My mom was a little questionable at first, but she changed her mind as soon as she saw my pockets.  She thought they were neat.  My sister is curious, but I think she's too scared to try to change a diaper.  She's also let me wash diapers in her machine.  It probably helped that she has a 3.5 year old and has seen what ends up in the washer with kids.  A little poop and pee isn't going to bother her.

• Loading the player...
  • imagestoneycakes:

I got more side-eyes while I was pregnant because people who knew nothing about CDing assumed I wouldn't stick to it.  Now that we're doing it, I've only gotten positive reactions.  Most people are pretty curious about it.

This for me too. I got a lot of side eyes and a lot of "GROSS!" and quizzing me about what I'm going to do about <insert manageable scenario here.> Granted, we are only almost 4 weeks into it, but FI and I both love CDing in it's entirety. (We also use cloth wipes)

I got some flack from my mom before LO was born, but now she wants to learn different folds for prefolds, what to do with pockets, the different kinds of diapers, etc.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just started cloth diapering and people keep asking me if I am sticking with it. I think they presume I will give it up. Some people seem genuinely intrigued though. 
  • This is why we didn't really tell people beforehand that we were cloth diapering. Most only found out after DD was born. And the reactions have ranged from surprised, intrigued, interested - none of them have been grossed out by it. Once they see the diapers in action, most people react positively to them commenting on how cute they are and how much money you must be saving. And then I just nod & smile. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLennongirl:
    This is why we didn't really tell people beforehand that we were cloth diapering. Most only found out after DD was born. And the reactions have ranged from surprised, intrigued, interested - none of them have been grossed out by it. Once they see the diapers in action, most people react positively to them commenting on how cute they are and how much money you must be saving. And then I just nod & smile. 

This.

We did end up with some disposables gifted (5-6 packs) to us as a result, but we've just used them for extended trips and for when we've needed to use zinc oxide cream to clear up rashes.  We have probably gone through 2 packs total since DD has been born, and we will have enough for similar situations with future children. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Most people I told thought I was crazy. My MIL has come around a bit. My mom still thinks I'm nuts, I think, but has stopped saying much about it.
  • Oh yes!!! I get this reaction all the time. Some people are straight up rude but most just think I'm crazyyyy

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think any parenting decision outside of the norm will get you that reaction.  Most of it has disappeared since we've been CDing for 2 1/2 years.  But I used to get a lot of that when DD was a baby, even our pedi said, "You are one brave mama" when she found out I laundered them myself.  It hasn't all been negative though.  Some people are genuinely interested and one of my good friends has decided to CD because she has seen how easy it really is.
  • I've never really had this problem, but I run in a pretty crunchy crowd where you get the side-eye for using sposies. My mom and husband tell everyone about how easy they are.
  • We were living in Seattle when we started CD, and the people I mentioned it to were also parents of small children, so they've seen their share of different parenting choices and probably also had their share of being judged. So we got some reactions of curiosity, but nothing like what OP was talking about.

It wasn't uncommon to run into others who were CD'ing. There were a few others doing it in the moms groups that I frequented. Also my landlord's daughter was CD'ing her toddler and getting ready to CD her twins that were on the way.

As for family, I just said this is what we're doing and that was that. We are old enough that DS's grandmothers both remember doing CD. The only thing my mom said was that I have a much better laundry situation than she did with my older brother .... she was in a 3rd floor walkup with shared laundry in the basement and no hot water! 

ETA: our pedi didn't bat an eye at the CD's when we brought him in for regular visits. Probably helped that she shared her office with a handful of naturopaths and midwives. 

• My family was really supportive about it but our friends were not. They were like, 'You're really brave..." and "Good luck with that..." Oh well. At least my baby's booty looks cuter than theirs. :)

Our pedi and the nurses think it's awesome that we use those "reusable diapers" and I've had several people give me weird looks when I change DD and we're out and about in restrooms. 

imageimage

• At first I think my mom thought I was crazy but once I showed her the types of diapers I have she thinks it's neat now!  She doesn't want to CD him when she babysits him (hardly ever) but I can live with that.  My friends are curious about it as well.  No one has given me a hard time about it so far.

I think actually showing someone how the diapers work helps them to see how it has gotten easier since we were babies.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • We got a bunch of sposies gifted with comments like 'you're gonna need em!' Now LO has outgrown all that were gifted without opening a pack and I have regifted all of them...
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom was on board - she made our flats from diaper flannel she ordered online. My brother thought we would quit in two weeks; his wife thinks the whole thing is gross. My MIL was the most outspoken about thinking it was weird and how she just wanted to use disposables when she watched DS. She made a bit of a scene at one of my baby showers; everyone who was there has since asked me whether she's changed a cloth diaper.

Well, she has: we give her the Flips to use when she watches him and says they're so much easier than she imagined, and she has been impressed with the fact that we don't have leaks or blowouts or rashes with cloth. 

• Everyone thought (probably still does) that we're crazy. My MIL especially was opinionated about it. She forgot that we don't have a well and tried to talk us out of it by bringing up if the power goes out that we couldn't wash. I pointed out I could hand wash them but she was like not if there's no power, then you have no water! Pretty much everyone said I wouldn't stick with it but we're at 3 weeks CD'ing and I love it. The only thing I miss about our 2 weeks of sposies is the blue line letting me know she's wet lol. The biggest thing is people think it's all flats and pins still. So, at my shower I had gotten my order of Best Bottoms in and I showed them to everyone. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This summer before DD was born, we were living at my parents house for about six weeks while we renovated our new house.  During that time I was getting all of her cloth diapers purchased and organized so I could wash them as soon as we moved into our house.  When I told my parents we were planning to CD, they thought we were nuts because it was a lot of work.  They recommended getting a diaper service instead.  After DH and I went to the class and then I started buying all the diapers, I showed them to my mom and explained how they wash.  She said, "Oh, that is SO much easier than it used to be!" and then she totally got it.

When they watch Charlotte they are happy to use her CDs.  Except one time my dad put a GroVia cover over a disposable diaper, which was cute.  No leaks that night!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"