Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

It's all my fault =(

I'm so upset. I felt bad that I wasn't taking my DS (he's almost 6 mths) anywhere lately because I didn't want him to get sick. On the other hand I felt bad because he wasn't getting any exposure to other kids which he seems to enjoy the few times he has. So I took him to a 2 year old's bday party Saturday and now he has his first cold. If I never took him, he wouldn't be sick right now. My sister said its fine, he needs to build his immunity but I still feel awful. I'm just babbling....

Re: It's all my fault =(

• Options
    Don't feel bad. I think all winter babies end up with a cold somehow. I am a teacher so I bring home lots of germs, but thats just life. My LO has a cold now too, but she doesn't seem to worse for the wear. These things happen and he will be better in no time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I mean, you can't keep him in a bubble his whole life.  He's gonna get sick, Mama.  It's actually good for them to get sick when they are this little--it helps them build their immune systems.  Just watch him closely for any signs of a bigger problem:  fever over 100.4, retractions when breathing, or if he doesn't start to get better after about 5 days, I would call the pedi.  It's hard seeing them like this, but he will get better!!  And its not your fault at all.
    Josh + Meagan 06.12.10/Baby J 11.8.12

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your sister is right. It's just a cold. He can't live in a bubble his whole life. Try to relax.

• Options
    It's okay ;) my pedi told me is actually good for them to get these colds. It builds their immunity so they won't get sick easily in the future. Don't feel bad, I'm sure he loved watching all the kids a the party ;)
  • Options
    I will probably react just like you when DD gets her first cold. It is gonna happen but you always feel sorry for them bc its their first time experiencing a cold...here to baby clearing up soon

• Options
    Even if I never took DS anywhere, he would still get sick because DD is a magnet for germs.  She gave him his first cold at 2 months and now he's on his second round of it!  It's life.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageg8trkim:
    Your sister is right. It's just a cold. He can't live in a bubble his whole life. Try to relax.

Uh, not to be unsupportive, but yeah. It's just a cold - you didn't drop him on his head or something.

He's going to bump his head learning to walk, skin his knees learning to run or ride a bike, and maybe even break a bone learning to climb a tree. None of these things will be your fault and if you get this worked up over a cold, you're going to be a basket case.

As parents, we care about and want to protect our kids, but we also need to let them actually be kids... /soapbox

• Options
    my LO is 4 months and i had chest infection and gave it to him and my 3 yr old, he has had his first lot of antibs. my 3 yr old starting nursery or kindergarten as you might say it. and then the fun will really start with her bringing bugs into the house....... thats life!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    It's going to be really hard to keep your child away from any and all germs. Keeping them away from other kids is unrealistic. It sounds like its just a cold. I wouldn't worry about it. It's going to happen, KWIM?

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options
    I must say,everyone is very supportive on this site. Thank you. Your responses made me feel much better. I suppose he would have gotten a cold at some point. And it's unfair to him, if I keep him home all the time and not give him the chance to experience new places and people.  It's still tough to see him stuffy and uncomfortable but it seems mild and hopefully it will be gone in a few days. Thank you again.
  • Options
    I've been keeping lo home because I am worried about rsv or flu. I made the decision to start music class in april since he'll be six months and have his flu shot. I know he'll get sick one day. I think it's good your protective
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"