Preemies

6m+ preemie doesn't lock legs

So a little back story on DS. He was born at 34.5w. Our pedi is concerned that DS doesn't like to lock his legs and stand. He has started doing so when we try to make him stand, but only for a few seconds at a time and not consistently.

Our pedi is recommending PT for that and his shoulder strength. They said when you pick him up (to make him stand) his shoulders "sag." To me, it's because he's not supporting his weight on his legs.

Anyway, they are recommending PT and early intervention. To me these "issues" seem a little premature because he's a preemie, but just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and let me know what they did.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 6m+ preemie doesn't lock legs

• imageBostonKisses2:
    It's possible that it is a little early for him when you take his adjusted age into account.  I remember at 6m actual Judith wasn't doing that either, but she was born earlier than your LO so that's a factor too.  Honestly, take the services if your pedi is going to get you in.  By 6m actual, we already had her in PT for a month and a half because she had mild torticollis, and they kept her in PT for a year so we could work to get her caught up and walking.  Go through the eval and see what they say.  If there is a delay developing, it helps to catch it early and intervene so it doesn't become a bigger issue.

We have private PT set up starting next Tuesday and it's every Tuesday in March (for now). We also have an eval set up with EI, which include a PT. I do want to take advantage of the services and do what's best for my LO, it's just that I work full-time and between these appointments, his helmet appointments (he has a helmet for a flat spot) and his regular/sick pedi appointments, I feel like I could spend an entire day a week at appointments. I'm sure you know what I mean and I'm preaching to the choir here.

• I don't have experience with this particular issue, but if the pedi has some concerns, I would recommend following up with the evaluation. They might tell you nothing at all is wrong, or they might recommend some therapy for him. Either way, it can't hurt to have it checked out.  Good luck!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Does he get a lot of time to play on his belly? I had 31 weekers .. twins. My boy twin is strong and all over the place and my girl twin is not. She struggles with the physical stuff. I noticed after she started letting herself lay on her belly and play she started doing better. She would not let us put her down on her belly for the longest she would scream like we were torturing her. The more she practices being on her belly the stronger she is getting though. Just keep practicing I am sure he will gain his strength in time. 

I play with her legs and have her lay on my lap and I help her kick .. she thinks its a game now and likes to play 'kicky legs and wiggle feet'   =)  The more they move their legs the more the muscles build. 

My 9 yr old was born at 28 weeks and doc's were always saying he was slow at this or that. He is 9 now and can do everything any other 9 yr old can do.

Good luck to you and the little one.  =)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • imageDenaRenee78:

Does he get a lot of time to play on his belly? I had 31 weekers .. twins. My boy twin is strong and all over the place and my girl twin is not. She struggles with the physical stuff. I noticed after she started letting herself lay on her belly and play she started doing better. She would not let us put her down on her belly for the longest she would scream like we were torturing her. The more she practices being on her belly the stronger she is getting though. Just keep practicing I am sure he will gain his strength in time. 

I play with her legs and have her lay on my lap and I help her kick .. she thinks its a game now and likes to play 'kicky legs and wiggle feet'   =)  The more they move their legs the more the muscles build. 

My 9 yr old was born at 28 weeks and doc's were always saying he was slow at this or that. He is 9 now and can do everything any other 9 yr old can do.

Good luck to you and the little one.  =)  

Thanks! He's not a huge fan of tummy time, so I'm sure that's part of the issue. His legs are pretty strong though. He LOVES to lay on his back and kick constantly. We start PT on Tuesday so hopefully we'll get some more tips there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"