Working Moms
Options

Interesting blog post on Marissa Mayer's no WFH move...

Re: Interesting blog post on Marissa Mayer's no WFH move...

• Options

My take from that - I'm tired of people trying to fight a "cause" for me.  She and Mark's sister (can't remember her name suddenly....) want women to be equal to men in the office, etc.  Well- good for THEM.  When that means working 120 hour weeks, i'm not interested and I'd rather not have anyone tell me that this is what I'm supposed to strive for.

How about working on getting men - and really all people - to realize that obnoxious hours like that shouldn't be the norm?  how about getting parents - moms AND dads - to realize that having children means putting in TIME w/ those kids? 

Why is this all about being successful in business?  What about being successful in your family life?  

I just feel like the focus here is totally wrong. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

My take from that - I'm tired of people trying to fight a "cause" for me.  She and Mark's sister (can't remember her name suddenly....) want women to be equal to men in the office, etc.  Well- good for THEM.  When that means working 120 hour weeks, i'm not interested and I'd rather not have anyone tell me that this is what I'm supposed to strive for.

How about working on getting men - and really all people - to realize that obnoxious hours like that shouldn't be the norm?  how about getting parents - moms AND dads - to realize that having children means putting in TIME w/ those kids? 

Why is this all about being successful in business?  What about being successful in your family life?  

I wish there was a clapping icon because I totally agree.  I am sick of feeling like it is one or the other.  If I take a step back I am doomed for life etc? I am also sick of being expected to do two or three full-time jobs at work and be paid for one and told I should be happy to have a job at all in this economy.  To be honest I think the ability to work at home has made this worse, not working from home all the time but just being connected now my boss thinks it is fine to interrupt my dinner, I should work before bed etc? I went on a job interview and the interviewer told me that part of my job required me to check blackberry before bed, which means I could end up working until 2 am? really I am sure that press release, unless in time of crisis, can wait until I get in at 8.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think this says it all:

"Silicon Valley, home to Facebook, Google, Airbnb,none of most desirable companies make room for a personal life. They don?t have to. They have plenty of people hoping to give up their whole life to the company."

It's one of the main reasons I chose my career as a teacher.  I knew I would have balance and be paid decently, but not a lot.  DH on the other hand, works for a huge oil company.  He gets paid a lot, but he's also more stressed, works more, and has strict deadlines all the time.  

He has "flex time" where he can come in as early as 6AM so he can leave by 4. He has to work 80 hours in the office every 2 weeks and gets every other Friday off.  If our child is sick or something comes up, he can work from home, but he asks to do this less than once a month.  

He doesn't have as much time for a personal life compared to me because, like the article states, the company can find plenty of people to work for them who would be fine without that because of the pay.  Can't say that for the teaching profession...

• Options

imagebeaubecca:

Disagree. I took some issue with this blog post, but I did agree with the overall point, which is some career paths aren't kid-friendly and you have to eventually make a choice in which priority is more important. An extreme example is being the POTUS. I mean when someone sets their sights on being president, he/she is saying I will put my family second and my career first, for however long it needs to be that way.

There are very few Fortune 500 companies in the grand scheme of things and Yahoo happens to be one. If you set your sights on working at a company that is competitive like that, you have to be ready to sacrifice to make it work. Or, you have the option of going for a slower-paced company that is more conducive to balancing a family/personal life.

I don't necessarily think you can't "have it all" meaning a successful career and a family life as well, but I do think you can't be a leader/CEO/President/exec or even work a demanding job for a leading company without sacrificing your personal time.

I completely agree with this and think it is a choice that both men and women have been making for decades.  We all make choices in our career, and just becasue you have to work crazy hours in one company doesn't mean that there aren't companies out there with more flexibility.  Both my husband and I have made changes in our careers to change to jobs with more flexibility, because we knew that this was something we wanted when we started a family - we also did this without sacrificing salary or potential growth.  People can have it all - they might just not be able to do it all at Yahoo, Facebook, or any other company like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    I think my issue with her post is that it's all fine and good to say that you can't have a high powered career and be an involved parent, so everyone needs to make a choice. But when it comes down to it, women still disproportionately make the decision to scale back. And that's problematic when so many of our resources are going to educate women; as the article points out, women are more likely to graduate from college, to go to grad school. There are more female doctors going into residency than men. What happens when all those women just decide to "opt out?" Do we want to just shrug our shoulders at the brain drain or do we want to think about whether we can work not just harder but also smarter?

Sure, there are a number of jobs where the discussion is irrelevant; someone mentioned the POTUS. But let's face it. There's one president. But how many female lawyers, doctors and investment bankers do we have and how many of them need to sacrifice EVERYTHING just to have some semblance of a successful career?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageamy052006:
    imageEastCoastBride:

Seriously. The whole thing is just gross. If that is what it takes to be successful, well thanks but I'm not interested, and thankfully neither is my husband.  Neither one of us is delusional enough to think that that type of lifestyle is conducive to having kids.

So, I guess rock on Melissa. You want to run Yahoo and have a nursery next to you office because you can't separate work and family, go for it.  I'm just not gullible enough to believe that's "having it all". 

I agree.  Problem is she cant see past her own way of life.  Sure take away telecommuting for your VP's and President, they live the job and get paid well for it.  Its the data programmers and middle management who are loosing because their CEO doesn?t understand some people are happy making a decent salary in a job that fits their lifestyle.

photo a1c2c501-51d6-4155-bc5d-e15072d2426d_zps1135e754.jpg 

**Siggy Challenge What You're Looking Forward to Most after Baby Arrives**

• Options

I haven't read the replies yet, but here is my response to the article.  It makes a lot of sense.  It's true that we can't have it all, let's just admit it and stop trying.  If you want to have work-life balance, then Yahoo (or any F500) is not for you.

I know we all hate the people who ask working mom's "why did you have a baby if you're going to let someone else raise it?"  For most of us, this is an unfair question b/c we are parenting our children outside of those 40hrs/week that we work.  Well for Marissa Mayer, I would love to ask her this question.  If she is working 100hrs/week, when is she spending any time with her child?  I'm sure her round the clock nannies are the ones raising her baby.

One problem I have with this article is that the author says that since Marissa Mayer works 100/hrs a week, she can hold all her employees to the same standard.  This is just not fair.  She is making millions of dollars compared to the average employee.  She can afford to give up everything, she can afford FT nannies, personal chefs, maids, housekeepers.  The average employee has to run their household as well as their job.

On the whole, I'd say I agree with the blogger.  I just think that it's a shame that this is the reality.  But like the blogger states, we all have choices.  Personally I would never choose to live like that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagebeaubecca:

imageNechie122:
    I think my issue with her post is that it's all fine and good to say that you can't have a high powered career and be an involved parent, so everyone needs to make a choice. But when it comes down to it, women still disproportionately make the decision to scale back. And that's problematic when so many of our resources are going to educate women; as the article points out, women are more likely to graduate from college, to go to grad school. There are more female doctors going into residency than men. What happens when all those women just decide to "opt out?" Do we want to just shrug our shoulders at the brain drain or do we want to think about whether we can work not just harder but also smarter?

Sure, there are a number of jobs where the discussion is irrelevant; someone mentioned the POTUS. But let's face it. There's one president. But how many female lawyers, doctors and investment bankers do we have and how many of them need to sacrifice EVERYTHING just to have some semblance of a successful career?

But the question is, why is it mostly women making the decision to scale back? Personally, I think it's in our DNA and not so much in the male biology. I know people will argue years of sexism and social norms and that could definitely have something to do with it, but overall I think it is mostly women who want to stay at home or scale back on behalf of their families.

I'm saying you have to make a choice. If you want to be a high-powered career-driven professional, you need to sacrifice your family time. I think Marissa Mayer has seen this at Yahoo - too much work-life balance in a competitive field does not work. You become less competitive. So in our society, for better or worse, to stay competitive, something needs to give. There are just not enough hours in the day to balance equally.

The same holds true for men. I know you're saying it's rare that it's men so it's not fair women are sacrificing so much, but we're lucky that we have a choice. It's not like the government or our husbands are forcing us to be the ones to sacrifice. My DH has said time and time again that he would like to be the one to SAH with our LO. But right now we're both choosing to work and see how it goes.

In looking back, I think my comments make it seem like our children/families suffer if we choose working a demanding job. I don't necessarily mean that. I just mean you can't have it all - perfect family life, tons of time with your child, etc. means sacrificing at work because you're competing with those in line with no other cares/priorities/responsibilities.

To me, the "why" part of the question doesn't matter as much as the "so what?"

Let's take medical residency just because it's a field I know. Residency used to not have any work limits and young doctors routinely had to work 120 hours a week; actually, it was called "residency" because you practically lived at the hospital. Now work limits are capped at 80 hours per week. We're also seeing changes in primary care. Instead of treating patients in the office and then doing rounds in the hospital, we now have a division of labor where PCPs work in the outpatient setting and hospitalists do inpatient. All of these changes had a number of drivers, patient safety included, but they're all examples of the way medicine has evolved and become a profession where women and men no longer have to make extreme sacrifices. And women are the ones entering the field in record numbers. I don't know about you, but I like having more women doctors.

So my point is that maybe the "something" that "needs to give" is our attitude about work.
  • Options
    imageNechie122:
    So my point is that maybe the "something" that "needs to give" is our attitude about work.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

I concur!  Family comes first for me, and I'm happy to work an environment where that's the sentiment across the board. Male or female, you can and should be able to take time for your family.

I recently went to a transportation seminar on alternative modes of transportation and how cities are dealing with it. Seattle encourages it's major employers to allow for telecommuting to keep traffic volumes down and allow for more efficient travel. (Especially during construction or major events) They found in the process, that not only are employees happier with the ability to telecommute 1-2 times per week, but they're also happier because commute times aren't as ridiculous as they could be with less traffic.  They also found productivity was up...because as it turns out happier people work harder...and less time commuting means less stress and a shorter workday overall.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options

I read someplace, that the thought was this was a way to weed out people without doing layoffs. I can't help but wonder if that's a big part of this: let's see who is reallllly dedicated and who will jumpship.

It's a struggling company, they are desperate and looking to "shake things up" at work. Well, this has done that.  And I feel like we forget that there are people who like to telecommute don't have kids. So this isn't just a parent issue, despite so many of the arguments surrounding it seeming to focus on working moms.

While I can see the blogger's point, that you can't do everything. People have to make choices in life. There are only so many hours in a day, so people prioritize. And if some people want to work a billion hours a week, well good for them. Although I think most people, parents/single/DINKs, like a balance of work/personal life. 

ITA with PPs that the notion that in order to succeed we a) have to be CEO of a huge company, and b) that means having no life outside of that company, is flawed. I have zero desire to be the head of a fortune 500 company, even if I could do it on a 40hr week, I don't want to run a company, period. However, I do think there are lots of positions that demand/expect ridiculous hours and I think the mindset/culture needs to shift. Partly because I don't think it's healthy for the individual, but also because I don't think it's healthy for society at large. 

I don't know that saying an employee must work in the office equates with demanding a 100hr work week though. I am not able to WFH due to the nature of my job, however, I only work 40hrs a week. And I am rarely expected to stay late/come in early/weekends, although it does happen occasionally for special projects.  I just don't think she's expecting her low-level people to be at the office 24/7, just that the must be at the office M-F.

imageimage
  • Options

Didn't read the replies, skimmed the post. I don't think there was anything earth shattering in the article, but I completely disagree that you need every employee in your company to be 100% dedicated to work. That is ridiculous. I made a decision to work PT from home. I understand that I will be mommy-tracked and I am sidlining my career. I see our VP who has 3 yo twins and I do not want to be her. She works 100 hours a week, but her partner does stay home with the kids - I do agree with that part of the post, if someone is going to be that dedicated to work you need the other spouse to stay home. That being said, my company benefits from me working PT from home, I'm cheap! I'm doing about 80-90% of my previous FT work, for 60% of my previous pay and about 30-40% of what I could get at a different company FT. I work for a fortune 500 company and not everyone needs to be working 100 hours a week to have a successful company.

While everyone wants to harp on the negatives of WFH, which I agree there are some, noone likes to look at the bottom line that it saves a company money.

• Options
    imageBooger+Bear:

I read someplace, that the thought was this was a way to weed out people without doing layoffs. I can't help but wonder if that's a big part of this: let's see who is reallllly dedicated and who will jumpship.

It's a struggling company, they are desperate and looking to "shake things up" at work. Well, this has done that.  And I feel like we forget that there are people who like to telecommute don't have kids. So this isn't just a parent issue, despite so many of the arguments surrounding it seeming to focus on working moms.

While I can see the blogger's point, that you can't do everything. People have to make choices in life. There are only so many hours in a day, so people prioritize. And if some people want to work a billion hours a week, well good for them. Although I think most people, parents/single/DINKs, like a balance of work/personal life. 

ITA with PPs that the notion that in order to succeed we a) have to be CEO of a huge company, and b) that means having no life outside of that company, is flawed. I have zero desire to be the head of a fortune 500 company, even if I could do it on a 40hr week, I don't want to run a company, period. However, I do think there are lots of positions that demand/expect ridiculous hours and I think the mindset/culture needs to shift. Partly because I don't think it's healthy for the individual, but also because I don't think it's healthy for society at large. 

I don't know that saying an employee must work in the office equates with demanding a 100hr work week though. I am not able to WFH due to the nature of my job, however, I only work 40hrs a week. And I am rarely expected to stay late/come in early/weekends, although it does happen occasionally for special projects.  I just don't think she's expecting her low-level people to be at the office 24/7, just that the must be at the office M-F.

I totally agree with all of this!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

My issue, in addition to the above, is the zero sum approach of the article.  Companies can either be populated with 100 hour a week minimum lifeless robots with no family obligations - or not. 

The premise that you cannot "mommy track" and still have a pretty damn great career at a Fortune 500 company is absurd.  (ie, I am not going to be a Managing Director.  That has NOTHING to do with anything other than that is not the life I want, regardless of whether I have a family or not - I made that particular choice before children).  The notion that everyone has to work as if they want to run the place some day is simply absurd.

• Options

You can have it all, you just can't usually have it all at once.

The problem isn't with Fortune 500 companies, or with struggling companies.  The problem is that we've set expectations that anyone can be a senior executive, have an amazing family life, and drive new cars, live in big houses, and come home to their kids every night at 6.  And that's a big fat lie.

If you're going to pursue a career with a big paycheck, like investment banking, management consulting, or executive leadership, you will face intense demands on your time.  There will be times when you will need to put the immediate needs of your family behind those of your job.  It may not happen every day, and it may manifest itself in small ways (like checking your email when you should be listening to your 6-year-old), but it will happen.

And for that reason, not everyone wants to pursue those career choices, and I think that's awesome.  We need to redefine the notion of success, and the only way to do that is to recognize that everyone chooses their own priorities and makes the decisions that work for them and their families.  And those priorities will change over the course of their life, and that's OK too.  

We should be embracing a more flexible career structure that allows someone to work like crazy in their 20s, scale back, ramp up again....or do whatever works for them.  And the most successful companies are starting to recognize this and incorporate programs like Google's amazing 5-month full pay/full benefit maternity leave and flexible hours.  

Marissa Mayer put a band-aid on a bullet hole.  She'll weed out workers who aren't engaged, but she still needs to articulate a clear strategy and create a culture that thrives on performance. Until she does those things, she'll continue to lose the talent war and Yahoo won't recover.  And people will get distracted by temporary, draconian measures when the real problem persists.

(Written by someone who has been a VP at a Fortune 50 company, a C-level exec at a small company, and turned down a CEO offer to take a position with a lower title and salary and greater flexibility.) 

• Options

imagewendy46001:

I agree.  Problem is she cant see past her own way of life.  Sure take away telecommuting for your VP's and President, they live the job and get paid well for it.  Its the data programmers and middle management who are loosing because their CEO doesn?t understand some people are happy making a decent salary in a job that fits their lifestyle.

This completely!  Those people making 60-100k a year at Yahoo didn't choose the CEO track.  And maybe she is trying to force them out, but I'm not sure that's the best plan.   

• Options

imagewendy46001:

This completely!  Those people making 60-100k a year at Yahoo didn't choose the CEO track.  And maybe she is trying to force them out, but I'm not sure that's the best plan.   

• Options
    imageFemShep:

You can have it all, you just can't usually have it all at once.

The problem isn't with Fortune 500 companies, or with struggling companies.  The problem is that we've set expectations that anyone can be a senior executive, have an amazing family life, and drive new cars, live in big houses, and come home to their kids every night at 6.  And that's a big fat lie.

If you're going to pursue a career with a big paycheck, like investment banking, management consulting, or executive leadership, you will face intense demands on your time.  There will be times when you will need to put the immediate needs of your family behind those of your job.  It may not happen every day, and it may manifest itself in small ways (like checking your email when you should be listening to your 6-year-old), but it will happen.

And for that reason, not everyone wants to pursue those career choices, and I think that's awesome.  We need to redefine the notion of success, and the only way to do that is to recognize that everyone chooses their own priorities and makes the decisions that work for them and their families.  And those priorities will change over the course of their life, and that's OK too.  

We should be embracing a more flexible career structure that allows someone to work like crazy in their 20s, scale back, ramp up again....or do whatever works for them.  And the most successful companies are starting to recognize this and incorporate programs like Google's amazing 5-month full pay/full benefit maternity leave and flexible hours.  

Marissa Mayer put a band-aid on a bullet hole.  She'll weed out workers who aren't engaged, but she still needs to articulate a clear strategy and create a culture that thrives on performance. Until she does those things, she'll continue to lose the talent war and Yahoo won't recover.  And people will get distracted by temporary, draconian measures when the real problem persists.

(Written by someone who has been a VP at a Fortune 50 company, a C-level exec at a small company, and turned down a CEO offer to take a position with a lower title and salary and greater flexibility.) 

This!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"