Baby Names

Brigid?

Not pregnant, but love names. What do you think? Obviously it rhymes with frigid and rigid, which isn't great. I went to school with multiple Brigids (Catholic school), so it is normal to me. Do you know any? FWIW, DH and I are both Irish.

Re: Brigid?

• I've never heard this name so I'm surprised you know multiple Brigids. The first thing I thought was frigid. I like Bridget though.

• I've known many Brigids too, both in the US and Ireland. I think it is a nice name, look up St. Brigid of Kildare, she was quite a feisty woman for church standards. My mother, who was born/bred in Ireland though is named Bridget, her mother liked the "french" feel and thought it was an exotic spelling.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never heard this name before, I honestly thought it was a typo for Bridget. 

First impression is I'm not a fan. Don't like how it sounds like frigid and rigid. I think she'll get called Bridget a lot, too. 

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• I know someone with this name and people call her Bridget all the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the input everyone! Jalla - I love St Brigid :)
  • My adviser in college was named Brigid.  I like it.
  • I think it's terrible. 

• I prefer Bridget.
  • Know one and love it!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I like Brigid, but prefer Bridget.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My sister is Brighid, nn Bid or Biddie. She's named after our gggrandmother. I like the spellings with the D, as they seem a bit softer than the T.
  • I think it's a great Irish name.  I know several (including my Granny), but they all use the Bridget spelling.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagemj.reilly:
    If this baby is a girl, she will more than likely be Bridget.I like Brigid, but much prefer Bridget we had considered both at one time. You and DH being Irish helps.nbsp;

This!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• imageLeahB12:
    I would assume that you are Irish. I like it but prefer Bridget.

This. I've only known one & it was spelled Bridget.

DS1-7/21/2011 @ 1:51am

DD-5/29/2013 @ 2:40pm

DS2-5/29/2013 @ 3:21pm

#4 EDD- 9/28/2016

• LOVE Bridget (and prefer it to Brigid).
  • Whenever I come across it in a book or something, I pronounce it BriGEED in my head, is that an alternative prounciation, or is my brain being youneek?
  • Every Brigid I ave known in the US has been "bridge-id," which is how I would say it if we end up using it. But there are a bunch of spelling variations (Brid, Brighid) as the language evolved. I'm no expert though - I will ask my family in Ireland for what's most popular now. 

Also thanks for your opinions. Very polarizing name, lol. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"