3rd Trimester

Taking Tylenol...

How often do you take Tylenol for relief of aches and pains? I hate to take medicine on a normal day, let alone during this pregnancy.

At this point, my back is a disaster and I thought, "why am I suffering? Take the freaking Tylenol." I just feel as though taking a dose per day is a lot since I typically stay away from it.

Just curious how often others are taking it late in the game...?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Taking Tylenol...

• Can't get through the nights anymore with out taking ti and a heat pad for bed. I take a full 1000mg, Tylenol doesn't do a whole lot for me anyway but some relief is better than none.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I pretty much ONLY take it when I have a headache that is preventing me from sleeping.  That's rare for me.   I also hate taking medicine for anything.  I have probably taken Tylenol 5 times or less since I've been pregnant, and haven't at all in the last 2-3 months.

With that being said, I have had an easy pregnancy and hardly any aches and pains.  If your pain is affecting your sleep, your stress levels, and your day to day well being, I think it's worth taking.  Especially if nothing else is helping (heat, cold, massage, etc).  I don't personally know how often is considered "safe", but I think I have seen some ladies post that they take it on a daily basis.  What does your doctor say?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't needed it, but you're allowed to take whatever the dosage says. It's fine. Even extra strength is fine. Just take it if you need it!!
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • I hate taking meds as well but I've been taking Tylenol daily for the last while to help relieve the pain of SPD. As long as you're taking the correct dosage, you're fine. If it works for you then it will be worth it. Tylenol doesn't work that well for me but it helps to take the edge off so that's why I'm using it.
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • I fake it if nothing else works. I have had nasty headaches the whole time and take it when a nasty one strikes and I can't even sleep it off.

Bumping off phone sorry for typos.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I take it at least twice a day for the last few weeks. When I get up and around dinner. This pelvic pain hurts to even shift.
    imageVincent Julian born on March 27th, 2013 DX with Down Syndrome image
    baby
      BabyFruit Ticker
  • I only started taking it late in the 3rd tri, because like you, I hate taking meds (even OTC) for anything. I'll usually only take them if my menstrual cramps are going to make me cry (about once every couple of months). But over the past few weeks, I have taken tylenol a few times in the evening when my lower back/hips/abdomen hurt so bad I can't think about anything else. I feel guilty, but probably unnecessarily. Take it easy on yourself! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Pretty much every night. Every other night I take Tylenol pm. 
  • Tylenol has never done anything for me, unless I also take ibuprophen (1 of each) at the same time. Obviously, being pregnant Advil is off limits.

So I resorted to take it, but as I said, it will rarely provide any comfort, and I mostly just feel like it's a waste. I'll take one or two (regular strength) once every other week, when migraines are too much, but it's not even enough to help me fall asleep. The extra strength ones make me puke. I'm staying away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I honestly didn't even think to really take it until I called L&D Monday night for severe, constant back pain for 3 hours (was sure I was going into labor).  The on-call doctor told me: "Take Tylenol and stay off your feet."

Last night, I took it before bed around 10pm and I don't think I got out of bed once until 5:30am -- of course only 30 minutes before my alarm goes off!

I think Tylenol might be my new BFF.  I'm glad to hear others are taking it on a semi-regular basis.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I try not to take it too often, but here lately w/ the lower abd pain. I have been taking it every night so that I can get through the night. I have never been a fan of Tylenol. I always prefer Advil, but you have to do what you have to do. It seems to take some of the edge off, but not a lot. It seems to help me rest somewhat better. If i don't take it... I am sleepless and in a great deal of pain.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"