September 2013 Moms
Options

Furious! Vent/warning

So, I've been on a medication called sertraline (Zoloft) for years to help with anxiety/worry. When I first found out I was pg, I asked the RE's nurse if Zoloft was okay, and she said, yup, it's a class B, so you're fine! Fast forward to today, when at work we get this email with a new JAMA article warning against the use of SSRIs (medications like sertraline) in pregnancy. I went to Dr. Google and found such conflicting information (different sites classified sertraline as either a B, C, or D class medication) and saw that it was indeed linked to low birth weight and premature delivery. So I finally called my OB. His response? "Um, Zoloft is nowhere near a class B medication!!" It's apparently a class C. 

I'm livid and have a half a mind to call RE and say something about his nurse. I'm also mad at myself for not doing my research, and to make matters worse, I'm a clinical psychologist! 

OB was awesome though. He said the only way I should stay on it is if I can't function w/out it. I told him I definitely could and the only thing that might happen is that my crazy worries about the pregnancy will increase. He said "That I can deal with all day. I say, let's bring it on!" 

I guess this just goes to show that you always need to do your own homework and don't trust information at face value... 

BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Furious! Vent/warning

• Options
    You should call the RE
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I would call the RE's office and discuss this with them- it's a serious issue if the nurse didn't know what class the drug was in.  The doctor should have also reviewed all your current meds with you and the safety of continuing them during pregnancy before and procedures were performed.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You definitely have a right to be upset. You should call RE's office if for no other reason so that person wont give out bad info to others. I am really sorry to hear about this!
    Also I wanted to say that I used to take zoloft and depending on how long you've been taking it, you may want to wean off of it instead of quitting cold turkey. I am sure your doctor can give better instruction, but it took me a while to wean off it and even still I had some withdrawal symptoms. With everything our bodies go through during pregnancy you may want to factor in what a cold turkey withdrawal would do to you. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Toby, my furry baby
  • Options
    Thanks all. I don't watch much TV so haven't seen the commercials and I work mostly with combat veterans so I wasn't aware of it in my professional life until today. I still feel like an idiot though.

Yes, excellent point about the titrations. I'm going to do a pill every other day for a week and then stop completely. I'm pretty sure the most damage is done during the third trimester so I'm just glad to have caught it now.

I think I will call RE and see if he'll speak to me directly I usually talk to his nurses. In his defense, he didn't do any procedures on me; I went in for a consult bc of TTTC, but was actually already pg at the time and didn't know it. That's the other sketchy thing they want me to call them when I deliver with the date and sexes so they can add me to their success registry. Um, they didn't treat me!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    imagejunewife:

This is so frustrating!  A NP put me on a prescription for acne that she promised me was safer than OTC cleansers, and then 4 weeks later my midwife told me to discontinue it immediately.  I was livid at the NP.

Sorry :(  Hope your anxiety won't increase too much. 

Honestly, I'd trust the word of an NP over a midwife on that.  Only one of them has the power to write prescriptions for a reason.

But then again, I'm assuming you're not talking talking about a CNM because you specified NP.

OP, I think you're right to call the RE. 

• Options

Actually, Zoloft is thought to be fairly safe during pregnancy, and a lot of women stay on it. I actually just went back on it last week, and I'm not worried about it at all.

It is class C, but the chances of anything actually happening to your baby while you're on a low dose is not likely.  

ETA other info 

• Options
    I am a nurse and was on Zoloft as well. I researched and slowly came off mine before my first appt. My MD is extremely smart so I trust his judgement. He said I could go back in it toward the end of the pregnancy but some research has shown a connection bw newborns developing pulmonary edema after birth with use in the third trimester. All this to say no Zoloft for me until after delivery but postpartum day 1 I will happily greet my friend Zoloft again.
  • Options

Wow thank you for this! 

I just went to the doctor last week and she filled a prescription for my Zoloft because I had been seeming a little more frustrated than usual. She told me any anti-depressant it fine during pregnancy. Apparently not! I also told her on my bottle it said not to take in the 3rd trimester and she said that it's fine to take then. I just took her word for it because I figure she's been doing this for years.

Definitely not taking it anymore! Luckily I only took it once. I'm so annoyed!!!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

photo f67a54b1-ddce-4538-bf7e-65a79c0165f1_zps84df8eb7.jpg
  • Options

imageCleo421:
    Thanks all. I don't watch much TV so haven't seen the commercials and I work mostly with combat veterans so I wasn't aware of it in my professional life until today. I still feel like an idiot though. Yes, excellent point about the titrations. I'm going to do a pill every other day for a week and then stop completely. I'm pretty sure the most damage is done during the third trimester so I'm just glad to have caught it now. I think I will call RE and see if he'll speak to me directly I usually talk to his nurses. In his defense, he didn't do any procedures on me; I went in for a consult bc of TTTC, but was actually already pg at the time and didn't know it. That's the other sketchy thing they want me to call them when I deliver with the date and sexes so they can add me to their success registry. Um, they didn't treat me!

That is pretty sketchy....and kind of unethical.  If they are inflating their numbers, doesn't give prospective patients and accurate idea of their success rate. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So I was wrong about only 3rd trimester being a problem. Apparently 1st tri use of Zoloft doubles the chance that baby will be born with a septal heart defect. I am so, so upset right now. My poor little babies, I hope to God I didn't hurt them.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    I totally understand your concern. However, with my last pregnancy I was on Zoloft the entire time about 250mg. I had a healthy 8lbs baby boy born at term. Of course everyone is different though. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I would call the RE also. I'm sorry you got bad information. I've learned over the past couple years that doctors aren't god, they don't know everything, some have outdated information, and some just don't know a thing about stuff they should. I second guess and research everything now. It's unfortunate that we have to learn this the hard way, but how fortunate are we that we have google now! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm really glad you posted this. I had been told it was safe as well and this was going to be a trust my doctor kind of med. DH and I are both pissed now because I just took my first one today. Same generic as you. I have been sick all day, not sure if it might be food poisening, but I think its the new med. Even more of a reason to be angry is that I was put on this in 'hopes' that it would fix my sleep problem and get me off sleep meds. Not sure why replacing one not safe med with another is being considered a good idea? So sick. And for such a waste
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm sorry you got the wrong info. Definitely a category C. The risks are still quite unknown since doing tests to see how it could affect babies would be unethical. I was in Zoloft for 3 years and got off before ttc. It is a toughy to get off of. You have to do it slowly. I experienced a lot of dizziness from the withdrawals. Good luck to you! 

• Options

I had to work my way down to a half pill, every other day for awhile before I could just stop, and I wasn't even good about taking it every day to begin with! I really think you should wean off more slowly... The longer you take it, the more it builds up in your body. You take 100mg one day, then 100 mg the next, making it about 150mg left in your body, and so on.  

• Options
    for SURE let the RE know, that nurse may have mixed up meds in her head and needs to be corrected... its for everyone's safety not just your anger
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your stories. I have had a change of heart about titrating down; you're right that it would help with the withdrawal headaches and vertigo, but I'd rather experience that then take one more of those damn pills. Particularly after doing more research on the impact of first tri sertraline use and birth defects. I just hope it's not too late. I'm comforted by the fact that I was on a smaller dose (50mg), so hopefully that's good for both the teratogenic effects and the withdrawals. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    That is incredibly frustrating, but I honestly believe you have nothing to worry about. The use of SSRI's was something I discussed with my OB even before I got pregnant. I take cymbalta, which is also a category C. May not seem like an ideal situation, but with my wedding in November, I knew it was not a good time to stop taking the medicine. And then I found out I was pregnant in early January. My OB was incredibly honest with me and said that in many cases the benefits of a mom-to-be being on an SSRI greatly outweigh any risks to the baby (though she certainly did not deny that there are some risks). I believe this is true for my situation. Not to mention, SSRI withdrawals are pure hell, even if you taper off. I can't imagine combining that with some of the nastier pregnancy symptoms I've been having. I actually feel that the war that withdrawal would wage on my body would be worse for the baby than taking the medication as prescribed. Obviously I cannot know for sure at this point, and that is scary, but I am trusting my OB and myself. Also, I am a social worker who does therapy, so I have seen a few different sides of this issue.
  • Options
    I was monitoring a patient at one of my sites in Omaha a few yes back.  It was a flu vaccine study but in her medical history she lost a pregnancy at 5 months due to an incompetent cervix.  She was then clinically depressed and on Zoloft.  Surprise surprise, pregnant again while participating in the trial even though she told the doctor they weren't trying and were using double barrier protection as required per protocol.  Its also crazy when a study pt gets pregnant cause it means a million things of paperwork. Any who I see on a subsequent follow up visit, its still documented that she's on Zoloft. I questioned the investigator because everything I read was that SSRIs were not recommended during pregnancy due to birth defects. He proceeded to respond that some OBs are now actually putting pregnant patients on SSRIs now during pregnancy if they have any risk factors, to help prevent potential cases of post part um depression after delivery. I was very surprised.  I'm still in shock that your nurse did not know the correct drug category. 
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • Options
    Mfranzak, your comment about I'll effects of withdrawal on the babies got me thinking and I called OB to ask. I threw the bottle away, not caring that I would feel ill effects, but not realizing that the babies would too. Waiting on the doc to call me back, as the nurse says they might have to give me a new script to taper down. Ironic!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"