Working Moms
Options

If you have done Weight Watchers (or your DH)

Any suggestions for favorite recipes that are convenient for two working parents? DH is doing WW right now and I really want to support him (even though I am pregnant and eating nonstop, but that's another story!).

He's starting to run low on dinner ideas. We can only have grilled chicken and steamed veggies so many times. Some of the WW recipes online are a bit more involved than our typical weeknight dinner plans. He gets home around 5:15 and I'm usually there at 6, so we prefer dinner than he can make in the 30 minutes or so after he walks the dogs. Did you have any favorite crockpot or quick and easy recipes?

DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13

Re: If you have done Weight Watchers (or your DH)

• Options
    I've been doing WW since the beginning of the year.  I find a lot of the recipes on skinnytaste.com are really good.  I try to prep some things the night before.  I have a "go to" board on pinterest now and just started recycling the dinners we really like.  
  • Options
    I haven't done WW in awhile, but I do count calories (when not pregnant).  What I did was I wrote down all of our usual recipes and calculated the calories (the same could be done for the point values) for a certain portion size.  It sucked doing it all up front, but now that it's done I don't have to worry about it anymore.  I also think it's easier to find lower calorie/point substitutions to meals when all the ingredients w/ point values are listed in front of you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I bought the WW Complete cookbook and it has some yummy recipes.  I am in my third week...so very new but....

We did a chicken recipe...pound chicken thin, season one side with salt and pepper, place in medium high skillet, season other side.  Cook each side 4 minutes, check for done-ness.  Remove chicken, cover with foil.  In the same pan you cooked the chicken.... 2 containers cherry tomotoes, some cider vinegar, lots of garlic, a couple teaspoons water (I think).

Served it over spaghetti squash (puncture like a potato, 9 minutes in microwave.  Was AWESOME.  Side of broccoli.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

fahitas or quesadillas

whole wheat pasta with lots of veggies

salads

• Options
    DH did WW while I was pregnant (and still does) and I did it after LO was born to get off the baby weight.  We don't necessarily use a ton of WW oriented recipes, rather just making substitutions in what we already make.  We use reduced fat cheeses, whole grain pastas, light wheat bread, etc.  I also bulk up meals with veggies any time I can.  We also are better at measuring things when we cook.  I use the recipe builder a lot to calculate points of things I already make. Using this can help me decide what is an apppropriate serving size and seeing what ingredient omissions/substitutions reduce points the most.
  • Options

There's a SUPER EASY and fast beef and broccoli stir fry recipe from WW that we love, I still make it.

I'm a WW drop-out.  Three months no change in my weight no matter what I did.  Waaa.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    image526SadieSadie:
    There's a SUPER EASY and fast beef and broccoli stir fry recipe from WW that we love, I still make it.
    I'm a WW dropout.nbsp; Three months no change in my weight no matter what I did.nbsp; Waaa.

Thanks everyone!

DH has already lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks BUT he is not eating his full points every day. He did WW years ago and thinks points plus actually gives you too many points and you lose very slowly.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options

In my first two weeks I lost 7.5 pounds...and when I was not eating all my points, I was eating Laughing Cow cheese and WW ice cream sandwiches to make sure I hit my points (still nursing a little bit). 

What is the recipe builder?

• Options
    I make a vegetable soup that is loosely based on the 0 points soup.  I'm not sure of the total points value because I don't really measure everything, but it's extremely filling.  I sautee a couple cloves of garlic and 1/2 a sweet onion with carrots and celery.  Then I add a carton of chicken broth, a can of tomato sauce, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of kidney beans, a whole chopped zucchini, and whatever other veggies I have/sound good.  Then I add a couple of handfuls of pasta.  It's extremely filling and really tasty.  I just made a pot of it the other night, and I haven't eaten any because I've had such bad late-pregnancy acid reflux.  I froze 1/2 of the batch, and what I left out is almost gone because the nanny is eating it all!  She loves it!
  • Options

I've been doing WW for a while and I've never used any special recipies.  I just use different foods (low fat, wheat, etc,), am aware of what I'm eating, and watch portion control.

The two things that have really helped me is changing my bread to 12 grain light and switching to low fat sour cream.  We eat a lot of baked potatoes and I would put butter and sc on them.  Now I just put low fat sc and it's actually better.

• Options

I have a few go-to's. Do you like fish? I usually bake some salmon or tilapia a couple times a week - fish bakes super fast and you can usually put any kind of seasoning on it to make it taste decent.

What about fajitas? I buy some pre-grilled chicken (cut into the strips) and then toss in peppers and onions on the stove for like 15 minutes and then plop them in a tortilla.

We do regular and white chili a lot as well - stick in the crockpot in the AM and it's done when you get home - the regular chili we use ground turkey, the white chili we use black beans, corn, rotel, low fat cream cheese, and chicken and it's really yummy as well.

Not sure how you feel about preparing meals and freezing them, but I have a few of those as well...we just had some lasagna roll-ups last night - we use low fat ricotta, spinach, whole wheat noodles, and no sugar pasta sauce. They are amazing.

BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options

I just cook regular dinners but opt for low fat options when I can  - like lowfat sour cream, 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup, etc.  I eat smaller  portions and leave the bread for my teenage son.  Dinner is my biggest meal points wise.  

I like skinnytaste as a recipe source. Also spark people recipes have lots of ideas and nutritional info so you can input that to find out the points value. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I lost weight under the old WW points system.  At that time, WW had cookbooks and also alot of recipes online on their website.  Calorie King dot com is also an excellent website for finding out how many calories are in certain foods.  I tried their new program (which is different from the one I lost weight on) while BF, but I didn't have much success.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options

Biggest Loser has a great cook book and one of our favorites is the Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf.  It's sort of involved (chopping celery & carrots) but so yummy!  DH loves it.  If you google it, you can get the recipe without buying the book too.  But the book is a good investment.

GL 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"