December 2012 Moms
Options

How much is babysitting?

I'm mostly asking for LO's baby book since it has one of those 'How much do these things cost?' Pages, but then it got me thinking that I'd have no idea how much to pay one. I'm not thinking about daycare, but like a teenager watching you toddler for an evening while you go to dinner and a movie. I remember back in the day getting like 2 or 3 per hour, but I'm sure it's gone up in 15 years.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: How much is babysitting?

• Options
    I babysat a lot recently and on average would get either 10 dollars an hour for one child or 5 dollars per child per hour. For example, if there were 3 kids, I would get 15 dollars an hour.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    A cousin who is a very responsible non ddriving 10th grade high school student charges $10 per hr for one and $12 per hr for 2. Only know because her mom mentioned that the daughter makes more than she does.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The high school girl we used a few times for DD1 charged us 7/hr and I think that was low end. 10/hr probably average.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Dang. I remember getting 20 for the whole night with three kids and thinking it was great... Then again, at the time, that would fill my car up.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    I live out in the country and our HS aged sitters were $7/hr. College were $7.50/hr. I always rounded up and left a little tip though. That was for one kiddo. I don't think our favorite sitters would charge more for 2 kids, but I will pay them more. Also, if we are going to be out for the night starting just around our toddler's bedtime (i.e. he would be asleep pretty much the whole time the sitter would be at our house), we usually arranged on a set fee for the night, rather than an hourly fee.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I still babysit every week and I charge $7/hour.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageJacqui105:
    The high school girl we used a few times for DD1 charged us 7/hr and I think that was low end. 10/hr probably average.

Our neighbor's teenage daughter babysat DD1 who is 2 and 1/2 and we gave her $10 an hour. Around here, I think the going rate is anywhere between $10-$15 an hour, depending on experience.

• Options

It's definitely a regional thing, but I think on average around here it's about $12 an hour for one kid. 

I honestly can't get over how much it has gone up, like you, I used to make $3 an hour and thought that was great.  

• Options

You know you're old when...

I used to get $1 per hour, regardless of number of children. In fact, one family used to have the friends they were going out with drop THEIR kids off for me to babysit as well so they could cut the cost...oy!

Eventually I started to get $1 per hour PER CHILD. But that was 5 years later.

The last time I hired a sitter (5 years ago, highschool student) she charged $10 per hour.  (didn't seem worth it to go out for the night) 

**baby N born Nov 29 2012** 

• Options
    Most sitters here want 101 to 15 an hr... I pay my sitter 10 an hr to sit in my house for 2 hrs and watch tv, then drop LO off at daycare...

I was surprised, to say the least. I'm a pharmacy tech, and when I started out 3yrs ago, I was making 10 an hr...

Seems a bit much to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"