Adoption

Flying Tips?

I am flying to MI to surprise my mom for her birthday in a week and a half.  It'll be DD's first time flying and I'll be doing it on my own, without DH.  She's 5 months and well behaved so I'm hoping for the best.  I made sure to get a direct flight and luckily it's only about an hour.  Any tips to make it go as smoothly as possible? 

Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Flying Tips?

• Find out if they'll let you pre-board.  Some airlines do, some don't.  Are you holding DD on the flight or did you buy a seat?  If you bought a seat, definitely try to pre-board so you can install it.  Take a change or two of clothes with you for DD, just in case she has a an accident on the plane/at the airport.  Maybe even a change for you, if possible.  I think you're still allowed to take bottles/formula with you - they may test it at security.  If you think it might help in case she's awake, take a few small toys that aren't super noisy. 

Flying with DD when she was that little wasn't too bad.  It's when she was older - almost a year - when she got squirmy and louder! 

Not sure what the temp will be like in a week and a half but it's been fairly chilly here...I'm in MI :)  I know the next 2-3 days the temp is supposed to drop again. 

Have a safe trip!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When I flew with a cousin and her 7 month old (who was flying as a lap baby, no seat) she opted not to pre-board. In fact she was one of the last people on the plane because she figured the less time she spent confined on the plane, the better. I should just be a balance of what works for you.

The extra change of clothes is a good idea- but try not to carryon to much if you're going to be holding her in your lap. It just makes it awkward for you in the tiny seats. 

GOOD LUCK and have a great trip!!! Happy Birthday to your Mom!

TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • Loading the player...
  • The worst part is getting through security and actually boarding the plane, but at 5 months, it's really not so bad. Bring plenty of diapers/clothes and be prepared for flight delays, etc. They do allow bottles and such, but I always packed them in a separate ziplock and pulled it out for security because that made things easier. A one hour direct flight shouldn't be bad, but of course it's still an ordeal because the process still takes a long time so don't forget transit time, waiting time, etc.  They likely will not allow you to wear a baby through security, so keep that in mind, but having a carrier of some sort was helpful for getting on and off the plane when I traveled with her by myself. Depends how much you carry on.

I always stress out about travel, but we've done it a lot with our little one and it is always better than I think. Security folks have been extremely helpful. I always bring a stroller, even though it's a pain through security because carrying a baby and a diaper bag gets old fast.  

If you're using a snap&go stroller and infant seat, ask at the check in desk if there are any extra seats on the plane and they may let you move to have an extra seat. Then you can bring the car seat on and it's soooo nice to have a place to put the baby down for a minute or two. 

Good luck! 

***************************** Our beautiful daughter was born in October 2009. Turns out she was quite the miracle. After two years of TTC, diagnosed with DOR. A couple of failed treatment cycles later, we decided to let go of our hope for more biological children and explore adoption.
  • I've heard some peoe have been allowed to wear babies through security, but that's not been my experience and most people I know have been asked to remove the baby from the carrier and send it through the scanner even if it's a mobytype wrap.

Some airports have "family lanes" but others don't and you have to wait with everyone else. It just depends where you are.

It is a good idea to make sure the airline has the baby listed with your ticket. You can generally take care if it all at check in, if you haven't yet, but it's easier to have it noted in advance. Baby will need a boarding pass.

Some airlines have asked for a birth certificate especially southwest, do I'd make sure to bring a copy of it, or some document my friend ended up using her baby's shot card from the doctor. They basically want to see that it's really your child. Southwest is the only airline that has asked for it, but they asked every single time.
    ***************************** Our beautiful daughter was born in October 2009. Turns out she was quite the miracle. After two years of TTC, diagnosed with DOR. A couple of failed treatment cycles later, we decided to let go of our hope for more biological children and explore adoption.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"