November 2013 Moms

Nursing while Pregnant?

Do we have any mommies here that plan on nursing through their pregnancy?  How is your milk supply so far?

I plan on nursing most of my pregnancy unless DS decides to wean in the meantime (which I do not see happening anytime soon).

My milk supply is pretty good.  DS was sick over the weekend and nursed more than usual so my supply increased a bit. 

Since finding out I'm pregnant my boobs feel like they are constantly filling up.  Does anyone else have this feeling? 

Re: Nursing while Pregnant?

• I'm still nursing, but only morning and evening. The evening one she barely nurses, so that one may be going soon.

I haven't decided how I feel about nursing throughout my pregnancy and tandem nursing. It works for us now, so I just plan on going with it and seeing what happens.

My boobs are a little more sore and I notice it when she nurses, but it isn't really uncomfortable. I haven't noticed a change in supply, but my DD also doesn't nurse much at this point, so I'm not sure I would.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I am still nursing, though I started gently weaning a couple months ago because I thought I would need to wean completely to get pregnant (I never got PPAF).  

DD will be 27 months when this LO is born, and I don't think she will still be nursing at that point, so I plan to continue to wean over the next couple of months.  I don't want her to think weaning is directly related to the arrival of #2, so I'd like to have some space between the two events.  

I haven't noticed any changes in supply yet, but my supply has adjusted to the point where I need to go about 24 hours to feel really full.

* Married June 2008 * * DD born August 2011 *
    BFP#2 2/19/13 EDD 11/1/13!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejonesygrrl:

I am still nursing, though I started gently weaning a couple months ago because I thought I would need to wean completely to get pregnant (I never got PPAF).  

I had to wean a little to get PPAF.  I didn't have mine until a week before DS first birthday.

My other question is would you consider pumping a bit after the first trimester to start building a supply for #2?  I had a rough time with pumping (I could never get a good letdown and it would take me 45 minutes to get a few ounces) so I want to get a head start on freezing my supply for #2

• imagefiddlefern:
     I had to wean a little to get PPAF.  I didn't have mine until a week before DS first birthday.

My other question is would you consider pumping a bit after the first trimester to start building a supply for #2?  I had a rough time with pumping (I could never get a good letdown and it would take me 45 minutes to get a few ounces) so I want to get a head start on freezing my supply for #2

I struggled with pumping and I'm really hoping it works better with #2.

I don't think I'll pump while I'm pregnant. First, I have no idea if I could get anything out at this point, I haven't pumped since my DD was around 11 months.

I also would worry that it would go bad waiting. I won't need it until I go back to work, so around the end of January. BM lasts in the freezer between 6-12 months, so it would already be around 6 months old. I don't have a deep freeze, so it probably wouldn't work for me.

The other thing is that the milk will be different. The milk a toddler gets is slightly different from an infant, especially once the weaning gets started. I think the taste and fat content change. This is probably not that big of a deal, but it is another thing to think about.

One thing I do plan on doing differntly this time is starting to pump in the first few weeks. I know they say not to since you need to regulate the supply, but after dealing with low supply, I'll take my chances with an oversupply.

• "

"

Frozen BM is only good for three months, so you wouldn't be able to use it if you started that early.  Another thing to consider is that your BM will turn to colostrum sometime during your pregnancy.

I do have friends who have had better luck pumping for #2 because their body was more used to it the second time around.  I hope that is the case for you as well! 

• imagejonesygrrl:

Frozen BM is only good for three months

Hmm, I must use a different source and definitely used some frozen for way more than 3 months.

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

• imageMsCrispy:
    imagejonesygrrl:

Hmm, I must use a different source and definitely used some frozen for way more than 3 months.

Most sites say 3-6 unless you have a separate chest freezer.  My LC said 3 months because the milk was several stages behind once you passed the 3 month mark in terms of fat content and such.  With my own milk, I could see a noticeable difference in color/composition of breast milk more than three months apart, so it always seemed to make sense to me, but I think as long as your freezer supplies are good, 6 months is fine. Sorry to add any confusion.

• imageMsCrispy:
    imagejonesygrrl:

We have a deep freezer so I abide by the 6-12 month rule.  My little guy is getting milk from August now and he doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

• imageMsCrispy:
    imagefiddlefern:

The other thing is that the milk will be different. The milk a toddler gets is slightly different from an infant, especially once the weaning gets started. I think the taste and fat content change. This is probably not that big of a deal, but it is another thing to think about.

One thing I do plan on doing differntly this time is starting to pump in the first few weeks. I know they say not to since you need to regulate the supply, but after dealing with low supply, I'll take my chances with an oversupply.

I know the milk is different, but I wonder if it would be awful for a newborn.  I guess I will have to check with my LC on that before I get started.

I didn't however think about the colostrum coming in.  I know with DS I didn't notice it until the last few weeks of pregnancy (that's a funny story I will share with you ladies), but I suppose because I'm nursing now it may happen sooner since my breasts 'know' what they are doing. 

• I am exclusively pumping for my 18 month old and my milk supply is pretty good. I have quite a stockpile in the freezer and have used frozen milk up to 8 months old deep freezer and it was fine. My plan is to start weaning in 23 months to give my body a break before 2 comes along!
  • During my last pregnancy, I was nursing DS. He was 18 months when I became pregnant, so he was only nursing nap and bed time. I nursed him until I was about 4 months pregnant but my supply dropped almost completely and it was colostrum by then, not milk. He didn't seem to mind too much, but having a toddler nurse when you are practically dry AND pregnant is no fun! DD is 19 months and she is still nursing. I'll keep going until everything dries up in the second trimester. If you can get over the second trimester hump, I've read that it gets easier. But for us, nearing the age of 2 is perfect.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just found out I am pregnant about 4 weeks 3 days and am still nursing my 26month old DD. I only nurse still at most 3 times a day am/pm and nap on weekends. So far she doesn't seem to mind but I am not sure how long that will last and I would prefer not to tandem, but I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it. I really want her to self wean and so far that has not happened. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS is 21 months and still nurses about three times a day for his nap, when he goes to bed, and randomly throughout the night. I would love to at least night wean him and I would also love for him to self wean... I don't see that happening anytime soon but I would love to be surprised!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"