May 2012 Moms

Tacky? 2 part invite question...

Ok so DD's first bday party is in 2 months and i'm looking to order invites... OR do a digital invite (evite or something).  

what are your thoughts on this?  is it tacky?  be honest!  (and just FYI there aren't many people on invite list who don't use The Internet)

part 2... if i am to order them to send actual paper invites... have you printed them on your own before or had them printed?  do you have any suggestions as to paper or print place?

TIA ladies! 

Re: Tacky? 2 part invite question...

• I personally don't like email ones but not because their tacky but because I like getting an invit in the mail it's exciting. I mail invites an we only invit aunts uncles and grandparents.

I normally make my own but shutterfly or even Walmart prints nice cards.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • I don't think e-vites are tacky I just tend to forget about the party unless I visually see the invitation on my fridge!

I make my own invitations CONSTANTLY... I did my wedding invitation, birth announcements, 30th bday for my husband, christening etc... I love doing my own (its pretty rewarding LOL)

I use shutterfly, adn target for pic ones... and if I am doing paper ones I will buy them from Michaels, or party city.  A friend of mine was having issues with her invites recently and she took them to kinkos to get printed (I've never done this cause my printer works fine but thats always an option if necessary)

Best of luck :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • like pp said, they're ok, but I like getting it in the mail, and can hang it so I don't forget about it.

When I was printing my friends shower invites, I emailed the pdf file to my local office depot printing station, told them I want it on their typical invite paper in white, and they came out perfect... I got 20 5x7's for like... $7-8... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I do FB or evites for stuff like a BBQ with a couple friends, or movie night or whatever. I think mailed invites are more appropriate for birthdays, showers, weddings, etc. I just find them mroe personal for special occasions.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• It's always fun to get happy mail, but I don't think an evite would be tacky.  If you can do it without a huge headache and expense I would make them. Otherwise, I would send an evite.
  • I dont know that I would consider it tacky to send an evite...but a real mailed invitation is a lot more personal and I feel like I would probably be a little put off by an evite to a birthday party. Evites in my opinion are better for casual get togethers than actual parties celebrating a particular occasion.

I designed an invite for DS's birthday party in Photoshop and printed on cardstock. You can also try local printing places like FedEx office. You just save the file to a USB or email to them and they can print it up for you.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • For my baby shower last March, my host sent out printed invites and only got one RSVP call.  We then did a facebook event (because I was emoitional and thought nobody was going to come) and invited the same people; almost everybody RSVPed there.  I personally keep paper invites and thank yous and the like but most people just throw them away after the event.  I'd save some $$ and do the online invite. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagereb84:
    For my baby shower last March, my host sent out printed invites and only got one RSVP call.nbsp; We then did a facebook event because I was emoitional and thought nobody was going to come and invited the same people; almost everybody RSVPed there.nbsp; I personally keep paper invites and thank yous and the like but most people just throw them away after the event.nbsp; I'd save some and do the online invite.nbsp;

OP, How many people are you inviting, and are they friends, extended family, or close relatives? If you are leaning more toward the evite idea, Maybe print up a few regular mail invitations for yourself, grandparents or any close family members and send e invites to the rest of the guests. I know I definitely will and my parents will probably save the invite to their first grandsons first birthday for sentimental reasons.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • I used to hate the whole idea of an evite because I love paper and making cards, however I am starting to realize that it's 2013 and I don't believe I've received a paper invite for a child's birthday since I was a small child, people with kids that I know have been eviting me for at least 10 years and I've done ok.

Also I was going to do a paper invite for the 1st birthday, however we're doing a recycling theme so to send a paper invite to a "green" party seems a bit wrong :-P

However if I were to do it I would go to costco, you can get 50 invites for  $14.99 (think 6x7 christmas card) and it's really the envelopes where you save, even if I print cards at home I still have to buy envelopes and i can't get any cheaper than going to costco where they give you envelopes with your cards.  If you don't use all 50 you can save the envelopes for another time or mailing large 5x7 photos or something :) 

• imageGromMom:
    I used to hate the whole idea of an evite because I love paper and making cards, however I am starting to realize that it's 2013 and I don't believe I've received a paper invite for a child's birthday since I was a small child, people with kids that I know have been eviting me for at least 10 years and I've done ok.nbsp;Also I was going to do a paper invite for the 1st birthday, however we're doing a recycling theme so to send a paper invite to a "green" party seems a bit wrong :Pnbsp;However if I were to do it I would go to costco, you can get 50 invites for nbsp;14.99 think 6x7 christmas card and it's really the envelopes where you save, even if I print cards at home I still have to buy envelopes and i can't get any cheaper than going to costco where they give you envelopes with your cards. nbsp;If you don't use all 50 you can save the envelopes for another time or mailing large 5x7 photos or something :nbsp;

All the cards to print your own come with envelopes. I got a plain set of white for 7 and have used them for 5 parties so far.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • I wouldn't consider an evite tacky, but chances are I wouldn't see it until after the party because I hardly ever checkup email.

I won't be sending an invite at all because we just have a family party.
  • smart idea to get a print at home  kit, i usually just print on cardstock and envelopes from staples  and the envelope is my high cost item.

for our  birth announcements i actually made my own envelopes because I'm crazy  like that  :)

• thanks for you input ladies!

i think i'll lean towards the invites as it is nice to have something tangible.  and it sets the whole theme!

thanks again and have a great weekend! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"