Stay at Home Moms
Options

Socially inept ~ or MIL vent...

MIL calls the home phone and says, "I don't suppose DH is home."
Me:  "Nope, he's on his way to work."

as in - if you want to call him, try his cell phone.

She goes on to tell me how a sibling of DH's aunt was diagnosed with a brain tumor last week and had surgery on it.  Now they will have to do chemo/radiation.

Me:  "Oh how horrible!"  "Man, poor family."  "I'll definitely tell DH."

I feel like I totally do not know what to say because I do not know DH's aunt's brother.  If it was all that important that DH knows this, why not call his cell and tell him (who knows who she is talking about).

WWYD?

Re: Socially inept ~ or MIL vent...

• Options

imageNandaB:
    tell him when he gets home? Doesn't seem like it someone he is close to, or you would know this person. I mean, what would he do, leave work early to visit the relative who has already been sick for a week?

Oh he calls every night, so I told him on the phone.  He agreed that it was just an akward conversation because she wants me to care about someone I don't know.

• Options
    imageArnegard:

imageNandaB:
    tell him when he gets home? Doesn't seem like it someone he is close to, or you would know this person. I mean, what would he do, leave work early to visit the relative who has already been sick for a week?

Oh he calls every night, so I told him on the phone.  He agreed that it was just an akward conversation because she wants me to care about someone I don't know.

I agree with that, it also sounds like she just wanted someone to talk to and you won that prize. I think you handled it well, that is a bit awkward 

Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the PP....  she just wanted to talk to someone about it and you fit the bill. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • Options

I don't know. I can see myself having a similar conversation with my ILs. They would tell me not only so I could pass it along to DH, but also because I'm family and it's a family issue--even if it's not someone I know personally, it's still family.

I would probably respond, "Do you want me to let him know the next time I talk to him or would you like to call him and let him know yourself?"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Aw sounds like she just needed someone to talk to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"