Breastfeeding
Options

Formula samples.

Everywhere I go I keep getting these formula samples..my family keeps telling me to keep them just in case but I feel like if I have them around and baby and I have a rough start to breast feeding that ill give in and either supplement or start exclusively formula feeding. I guess my question is should I keep them for a just in case situation? Or should I toss all of it so I won't be tempted?
BabyFruit Ticker
BabyName Ticker image

Re: Formula samples.

• Options
    If you decide not to keep the formula, please send it to me, I will pay for the shipping!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I kept them - I remember reading some people believe having bottles or formula in the house is risky because its an "easy" out - honestly - we live 10 mins from the store - if I had wanted my DH to run to the store and buy formula and a bottle I could have... so I didn't get that thought process.  I kept it in case I needed it - its free - now I have tried to give it away before it expires once its clear I won't use it (aka I got some newborn stuff that is for 3 months and under - she's five months now)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It pissed me off that they sent me formula samples. It really did. Like the companies were assuming I would just give up that easy? I threw them all away and never regretted it. We did get some later on in the summer after she was born that I dumped on my compost pile instead of tossing out.
  • Options
    If you don't want them there's really no need to keep them unless you really font live anywhere near a store. If you want them.keep them frees always better than not but im sure you wont need them, im thinking positive fir you. I actually had a really easy time with bfing I used the infant led method if that's something you're interested in....I want to make a Smiley so bad but I can't lol
  • Options

I say keep them. I have had to supplement due to a true low supply. I never would've anticipated this happening, and of course had planned to EBF. They saved me about $40. 

Surely you'll be able to EBF as you wish, but maybe at some point you'll give a formula bottle for whatever reason. Then you'll be glad you have them.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had to supplement in the beginning so it was nice not to have to buy any. After we got bf established I gave them away
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We've kept them ... I have like 900oz frozen, and still adding to that stash slowly these days, so don't ever anticipating needing it. We do have to use Neosure to up the cals of the BM to 22cal since my girls were born soooo early, but we get that thru insurance, since its 'medically necessary.' I plan on donating or selling all we don't end up needing ... I'm sure someone can benefit from it besides me! I was never tempted to give up pumping the whole time the girls were in the NICU, and now that they're home, it would take a major supply hit to make me stop early. So, yeah, I never had issue having the stuff in the house. And, because of what we get thru insurance, we have a TON. Like 15 cans of the stuff!
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagekalette:
    It pissed me off that they sent me formula samples. It really did. Like the companies were assuming I would just give up that easy? I threw them all away and never regretted it. We did get some later on in the summer after she was born that I dumped on my compost pile instead of tossing out.

If you decide not to keep them, please don't throw them away. Donate them to a women's shelter or homeless shelter that serves families. Every little bit will help then.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I kept them as a just in case.  I never ended up using them and gave them to a friend who FF her daughter this last weekend. 

For me it didn't matter that I got sent them, because I would give them to someone who needed it or use it myself if BF went horrible.  I had some hard BF days but not bad enough for me to go to formula and my supply never went down  low enough to have to supplement.

Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageKatFCo:

imagekalette:

If you decide not to keep them, please don't throw them away. Donate them to a women's shelter or homeless shelter that serves families. Every little bit will help then.

I totally agree! I am EBF right now but had to give LO a few bottles of Enfamil early on due to problems with a tongue tie. I was glad I had the stuff in the house in this scenario, but I only used a few scoops and I have a few cans left over that I plan to donate. A lot of families out there would really appreciate the donation!
  • Options

I donated mine to the food bank as I got them.

I figured even in the scenario I needed formula, I live in a city of 24 hour pharmacies, and I can afford it. Food bank patrons can't. 

• Options
    I say keep it because you never know.  I EBF but had to supplement for 24 hours due to weight gain issues.  I would have been pussed if I had to go buy $20 worth of formula for one day of use.  I have friends who use one of the brands I have so i will give some to them and the rest I will donate, with the exception of a small amount I will keep to have on hand just in case.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I kept the samples just in case and ended up needing to use them due to low supply. I had samples from four different types of formula, which was great because it helped us know which formula we needed to buy when it was clear that my supply was never going to catch up to her demand (I had major breastfeeding issues at first and switched to exclusively pumping at about a month, and because we couldn't ever get a good latch at the beginning my supply was never very good).

Honestly, if you feel strongly about breastfeeding then I don't think you'll be tempted to switch to exclusive FF just because you have formula in the pantry. It was devastating to me just to give her a 2oz supplement bottle at first when LO had been losing too much weight, and it made me work even harder at breastfeeding so we wouldn't have to keep using the formula. In my situation I ended up having to supplement with formula every day despite all my efforts, but I always made sure to give her as much breastmilk as I could produce before she got any formula. It really depends on your situation.

And if you end up in a situation where you need to use formula, IT'S OKAY. Seriously, that was the hardest part for me because I had such a huge guilt trip over using formula as a supplement, but it's not poison. I was a formula baby and I turned out ok. Breast is best, but formula is not *bad* for baby. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    https://m.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/72351824.aspx

I kept them around. Once I settled into BFing and had a little in the freezer in case if emergency I donated to the local women's shelter.

• Options
    I get the samples and checks often. I just got 2 full sized jars of formula and a free bottle last week. It is funny because I exclusively breastfed my son until 10 months, and I still breastfeed now (he is 13 months). I never even used bottles. I donated the bottle to shelter and I sold the checks and the formula on ebay. When my son was born I kept the samples for a while, but they have expiration date; so I just gave it to a girl that I know that used formula. I wish you all the best, and hope you won't have rough start breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is an art that you learn it. I was lucky my sister supported me on the beginning (which was hard), and didn't allow me to even buy bottles! I am glad I listened to her and believed in breastfeeding. Best decision I ever made. I recommend you read the book: Milk, Money and Madness by Naomi Baumslag. It reveals the truth about formula companies and how they influenced our society to formula feed. Remember 99% of women are able to breastfeed.
  • Options

I put most of the samples we received in our emergency kit, just in case DD and DH are home without me (we live in California and you never know when/if an earthquake will strike). I have a big stash of BM in the freezer, but who knows if he would think to grab it in an emergency. I say keep it but out of sight, out of mind. DD is 6 months old today and I have never once thought about supplementing with formula.

• Options
    imagejillyjill1026sr:

I put most of the samples we received in our emergency kit, just in case DD and DH are home without me (we live in California and you never know when/if an earthquake will strike). I have a big stash of BM in the freezer, but who knows if he would think to grab it in an emergency. I say keep it but out of sight, out of mind. DD is 6 months old today and I have never once thought about supplementing with formula.

That's a good idea. You never know what can happen. We should always be prepared when emergency strikes.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"