September 2013 Moms

SO excited to have a midwife!!!!

I don't know how it usually works in the U.S. but where I am in Canada you pretty much have to call as soon as you find out you're pregnant to get a Midwife. I didn't know this, being a FTM, and I also had some misconceptions about Midwives only doing home births, which I didn't want. So I ended up calling when I was 9 weeks along after a friend of mine cleared the air on some things and they were already booked for September. I was pretty disappointed about it but they did put me on a waiting list. Turns out that there was so much demand for summer and early fall births that they had to bring in 2 extra Midwives from another clinic to take on some patients. I was one of them! My biggest fear was that I would get a spot because someone else had had a loss which would have broken my heart and made me feel pretty bad about the whole thing. But this is the best situation! Now, it means my appointments are going to be pretty strict as up until June she will only be there for a few days a month. But I'll take it!  SO excited and such a relief to know I have someone who will be there from beginning to end to deliver my baby! YAY! lol!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: SO excited to have a midwife!!!!

• Wonderful! The pregnancy gods were smiling down on you!
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • My friends who both had midwives made me call as soon as I POS.  I'm glad I did.  It gets crazy!
  • Loading the player...
  • That's great! I think you'll love midwifery care...I don't think I could do anything else.
  • That's great! I love my midwife. Originally she wasn't taking any new patients and she's the only midwife that a lot of people recommended so I was bummed. My mom is a lactation consultant and talked with her and she agreed to see me. I was sooo excited. At my first appointment she said that she hired another midwife for her practice (after a few years of searching for the right lady) and so I'll be seeing her too. I completely trust her and I am very happy to have a midwife who will be there for most of the laboring and birthing process.
    DH and I are both 25
    Married 8/18/12
    Baby Jack's EDD is 9/18/13
    photo 229108e9-b31e-41b9-80f6-d27bce908989_zpsa243562b.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• That's exactly how it is where I am (CAN) so i totally understand your excitement! Congrats on getting in! I'm sure you'll love it :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congratulations!  I'm in Ontario, and snagged my midwife right away.  I didn't know you needed to book right away either, but happened to notice on the midwifery website I was looking at that they said to "call very early in pregnancy to talk to a midwife". 

Have you gone in for your first appointment yet?  I did when I was around 7 weeks.  All they did at my first appt (so early on) was take down some basic information, let you tour the facility, and discuss care options with you.  I found out I'll have three midwives (one primary, two secondary) as well as possibly a student midwife observing.  My first "official" appointment with them where I get my blood drawn and all that good stuff is March 14th.

Oh, and FYI, You're (we're) lucky to be where we are in Canada..  Midwifery isn't covered under provincial health insurance in all provinces yet.  Kinda sad, but hopefully that will change soon. 

• So glad you got the midwife you wanted AND no one had to miscarry to get you there. I used to work in an organ transplant lab so I get that feeling of discomfort you may get when benefiting from someone's loss. (PSA - Most of our organ donors didn't wear seat belts)

EDD 9/3/13
  • imageNukke:

Congratulations!  I'm in Ontario, and snagged my midwife right away.  I didn't know you needed to book right away either, but happened to notice on the midwifery website I was looking at that they said to "call very early in pregnancy to talk to a midwife". 

Have you gone in for your first appointment yet?  I did when I was around 7 weeks.  All they did at my first appt (so early on) was take down some basic information, let you tour the facility, and discuss care options with you.  I found out I'll have three midwives (one primary, two secondary) as well as possibly a student midwife observing.  My first "official" appointment with them where I get my blood drawn and all that good stuff is March 14th.

Oh, and FYI, You're (we're) lucky to be where we are in Canada..  Midwifery isn't covered under provincial health insurance in all provinces yet.  Kinda sad, but hopefully that will change soon. 

First, thank you ladies for posting and understanding my excitement!

I'll be 12 weeks on Thursday (Baby is actually measuring bigger by 4days as of my 8w US so I don't know where that puts me for dates). I had my first prenatal at my Dr's office just before I hit 8w, I've had one US so far and having my scan US on Thursday. I don't get to see the midwife until March 21. She only has a few dates booked per month at the clinic here (I'm in Ontario too) so I have to work with her schedule until about June. They were a little concerned that it will be 6 weeks since my last appointment (my Dr. never told me to book another appointment with her) but since I have my scan on Thursday to partially confirm that things are still ok with the baby, I don't mind waiting another 2 weeks to see my midwife.
    I'm so glad to have someone who will work WITH me. I want to have this baby in a hospital and I'm totally for an epidural but I like the personal care that comes with a Midwife. And to know I'll most likely have the same Midwife the whole way through is such a comfort to me. My alternative was to rotate through a group of family physicians, never being guaranteed the same person, or an OB - I would have gone with an OB if I couldn't get a Midwife. But the problem with OB's is they're on a 24 hour schedule a lot of the time and I'd be nervous about their fatigue being an issue if they happened to have a busy shift. At least now I know I'll only need them if there's an emergency - crossing my fingers that doesn't happen!
    It's such a fantastic feeling knowing that I'll get to meet the lady who will be responsible for delivering my very first baby. Bah...I'm a little emotional lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"