Trying to Get Pregnant

Buying Things For Future Baby?

DH and I are on vacation, and I found a gender neutral mobile that I've adored on Pinterest [and can't find at home]with the single best word written on it's tag: sale. I thought about going ahead and getting it, but then i realized i felt crazy buying something for a future [probably] unconceived babe. It just feels like bad juju.

What are y'all's thoughts about buying baby things now?
TTC #1 as of Feb. 2013
BFP on Mar. 4, 2013, DX with MMC (blighted ovum) at 8 weeks, D&C
TTC again as of May 2013
BFP on June 24, 2013, EED March 12, 2014
Diagnosed with endometriosis, PCOS, heterozygous MTHFR and positive for ANA

GROW BABY, GROW!
BabyFruitTicker

Re: Buying Things For Future Baby?

• Couldn't do it...having baby stuff staring at me for months would be horrifying...plus I would feel like I'd be jinxing myself.

**Siggy/Ticker Warning**   

TTC #1 since May 2012

May 2013: First R.E. appointment

DH: SA is good

May 2013: CD3 Blood work-normal
               June 2013: Hsg-Right tube blocked

July 26, 2013: Starting Follistim for IVF #1

August 2013: IVF #1 Cancelled- Abnormal embryos

October/November 2013: IVF #2 w/ICSI

November 8, 2013: Transferred two early blasts (no frosties) 

November 18, 2013: First EVER BFP! 

Beta#1: 91  Beta#2: 288

1st U/S- 5w2d Saw yolk sac!

3rd U/S- 7w4d HB of 157bpm!

TEAM BLUE!

http://movingtolight.blogspot.com/

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• I had the same thoughts about a onsie & diaperbag I found. I want to buy them. But feels like bad juju to me too.

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
    image image imageimage 
  • Loading the player...
  • Call me crazy, but we'll probably buy some baby clothes at yard sales this summer. I don't believe in karma or that I'll jinx myself by doing that and I'm all about being frugal. Even if it takes me a while to get KU, I'm okay with having a few little things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image   image
  • I'm not superstitious, so I have no concerns about "bad juju." However, I'm not buying any baby things until I have a positive pregnancy test at a minimum.

There is a possibility that it could take us a very long time to conceive, or it might never happen. In that circumstance I think owning any baby items would just make me really sad.
    BabyFruit Ticker 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't. It's been 16 months if trying and I sincerely hope this is not the case for you, but having baby stuff in my house would kill me.

I also feel like it's a jinx
  • imagecjchio:
    I've bought a few things. I don't believe in superstitions.I bought a Coach Diaper bag super cheap in an adorable print. It was practically free. Why not buy it now since I'll want the same thing anyway?

I feel exactly the same. I haven't picked up anything yet, but I wouldn't have anything against it. We have a very large house and currently it's just DH and I and our two kittehz. It's more sad that we have three bedrooms completely unused than it "would be" if I had bought something for a future baby.

If you don't have a problem with it, don't let someone's superstitions mess with your head.

• I've purchased a few things, but it's all tucked away in a closet. I know that someday we'll be able to use these items. :)

ETA: I'm a SAHW, but I do a bit of babysitting. I have tons of baby/kid stuff in the house. Doesn't bother me at all.

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• It could be more than a year before you have a baby in your arms. What if you change your mind about this mobile?

I wouldn't. But thats just me. I change my mind like I change my underwear.

• I don't believe in jinxing yourself, but when it takes a long time to get KU and/or you have an early loss...it's really hard to have all of that just staring at you. I actually had a harder time looking at it when we were ttc than after my mc. To each his own though...
  • I have a box under my bed where I keep baby related purchases. Sometimes when I'm thrift shopping I come across things that are too cheap to pass up (mostly books), as well as very unique vintage items that would be awesome for a nursery. 

I'm not sure how I'll feel in the future, but right now buying things here and there and stashing them away has been fun.   

TTC #1 since July 2012
  • A Hallmark store by us is closing and everything is 40% off and will get even cheaper before it closes. I bought a pair of A&M (FI's fave college) booties and I may go back and see if any other baby stuff is cheap. At most I'd buy 2 more things, the hat and onesie probably. These items are for when we get pregnant; I'll give them to FI to tell him. That's as far as I'll go in terms of stuff for our future child.

One of FI's best friends is pregnant though and due in July, so I can have fun buying stuff for her little boy :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We haven't been buying things for our future baby, but I've been collecting ideas on myregistry.com.  We actually used it for our wedding registry too.  It's nice because you can pull from anywhere online and put it all in one list.
  • I wouldn't buy anything for a baby I haven't conceived yet... but as soon as I have a BFP I'll be spending.

I have however, neatly socked away and organized all of our baby toys and clothes that no longer fit my son. I also have stored bins of my neices baby clothes. Just in case :). If you want to buy it... DO IT! I don't believe it would not work out because of that... not sure what 'juju' is.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BFP # 1 - June 2nd, 2011 - EDD Feb 5, 2012 Birthday Feb 10, 2012 BFP # 2 - Jan 19, 2012 - EDD Sept 24, 2013 - CP Jan 24, 2012
  • Totally second what others have been saying about your tastes changing.

I SERIOUSLY wish I could go back in time and not buy anything for my house after we've moved in.  A year later, I wanted to redo everything and it was impossible to justify because everything was brand new.

On a separate train of thought, what about starting a "baby fund"?  It's not as flashy, but perhaps you contribute $x to a liquid account that you can access when you do get pregnant.  To me, I think it'd be fun to have the money socked away to go out and spend without any sort of remorse of thought of worrying about buying second-hand or borrowing things.

Actually, now that I think about it, I should do that.  :)

Me: 27 DH: 27

October 2013: Endo erosion/ Clear HSG

March 2014: SA #1/  2%morph, borderline sperm count, decent motility

June 2014: SA#2/  2% morph, low sperm count, worse motility

Plan: "Quick Start IVF"/antagonist protocol with Follistim, Ganirelix, Ovidrel and progesterone suppositories (yay)

High AMH (11) and Low BMI= low doses of everything to prevent OHSS

July 27, 2014: Started Follistim injections for ten days

July 31, 2014: U/S= 20 follicles, 8.5 lining, E2 is good, Ganirelix for 4 days starting 8/2

August 4, 2014: 14 follicles on-track, good lining, Trigger 8/6

August 9, 2014: 9 ICSIed/ 5 embryos; aiming for a 5dt on 8/13

August 13, 2014: 5DT of 1 4BA almost-hatching blastocyst (Please hang in, Little Bug!)

August 14, 2014: We have 3 frosties! Hope they're having fun hanging out together. :)

August 23, 2014: Beta #1: 144 8/23/14: Beta #2: 374 Beta 8/25/14  Beta #3: 6,600 9/3/14

September 9, 2014: Ultrasound #1 115 heartbeats per minute

September 23, 2014: Ultrasound #2 182 heartbeats per minute 

September 26, 2014: Love my OB's office

October 10, 2014: Our baby looks like a baby and is moving all over!  

December 8, 2014: Anatomy scan- It's a girl! 

"Hope strengthens.  Fear kills."- Karen Marie Moning

"Heaviness is only temporary; the daylight will soon break in."- needtobreathe

• I have bought things for a potential future baby.  I go back and forth on whether or not I regret making the purchases.  Right now they are all packed away, so I don't see them as reminders. If we don't end up having a second child I will donate the items to a local women's shelter.
  • I started knitting baby things when we started TTC 10 cycles ago, so I have those stashed in what would be the nursery. It feels a little old school hope chest to me. So for me, one of a kind items, yes. Diapers, clothes, gear, no.
    Pregnancy Ticker

TTC #1 since June 2012
    Me (28) - DOR (AFC <10, undetectable AMH, >10 FSH), homozygous E429A MTHFR
    DH (29) - MFI low count and morphology

September 2013 IUI#1 - Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN
    October 2013 IUI#2 - Letrozole + Menopur + Trigger + IUI = BFN

Nov 2013 IVF/ICSI #1 - Protocol: BCP prep, high doses Menopur and Bravelle (12 days), ganirelex
    Results: 5 retrieved / mature, 4 fertilized, 1 arrested and 3 complex abnormal after day 3 PGS = Cancelled after ER
    Jan/Feb 2014 IVF/ICSI #2 - Protocol: Estrogen priming, high doses Menopur and Bravelle (11 days), microdose lupron
    Results: Cancelled after 11 days of stims due to low response and E2 levels
    Feb 2014 IVF/ICSI #3 - Protocol: No prep, low dose Menopur (6 days), ganirelex, Bravelle booster with trigger
    Results: 1 retrieved / 0 mature = Cancelled after ER

Officially moving on to embryo adoption! We used and love Embryo Adoption Services of Cedar Park
    October 2014 FET #1 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, transferred 2 of 4 from match #1, BFN
    December 2014 FET #2 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, transferred 2 of 4 from match #1, BFN
    March 2015 FET #3 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, transferred 2 of 6 from match #2, BFN
    May 2015 FET #4 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, lost 2 to thaw, transferred 2 of 6 from match #2, BFN
    October 2015 FET #5 - Natural cycle, lost 1 from match #3 and 1 from clinic backup to thaw, transferred 1 backup, BFN
    February 2016 FET #6 - Natural cycle, transferred 1 from match #4, B FREAKING P!
    Beta 1 = 162, Beta 2 = 316, doubling just over 48 hours

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"