Babies: 6 - 9 Months

weaning baby off bottle

Hello there, haven't posted in a long time but have recently heard from some of my mommy friends that their pediatricians want their LOs off the bottle completely by 12 months and so you should start weaning them at 9 months. My LO is 8 months so I was stunned to hear this would need to happen soon, it seems so early to me, they are still so baby at this age and even 12 months. I nurse my LO throughout the day but he gets a bottle of formula at night with my DH. To be honest I love our routine and can't imagine giving him a sippy cup of formula or breast milk before 12 months. He takes a sippy of water of course but only drinks it sporadically when he wants to. Would love to hear you guys thoughts on this and what you are planning to do.

Re: weaning baby off bottle

• My LO is BF but takes a bottle sometimes but if she took a bottle regulary I wouldn't try to wean until she was at least 12 months and I play to let her self ween off the boob when she's ready. I don't feel like there's anything wrong with it.
  • We started DD on a sippy cup with water at her solid feedings-- 2x a day- am and pm.

she got the hang of it fast!

I wouldn't worry about it. And yes it does seem soon.

• Loading the player...
  • LO is 7 months, I haven't given much thought to that quite yet.  I guess I just assumed that around a yr hed be eating more "people food" and would need the bottle less and less. 
  • I personally would never start weaning from a bottle at 9 months...there is no deadline that says they must be done by 12 months, though people often talk like there is some rule about it....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"