Breastfeeding

can anyone give insight into manual pumps?

I also plan on checking with my copy of baby bargains, but I was hoping some here might have some love it/hate it advice on manual pumps?

I just found out my insurance covers manual pumps at 100%. I'm sure I'll be limited in options - they are emailing me more information now. I had planned on buying an electric, but since I can get a free manual I thought I should at least investigate.

I apologize if this is asked ad naseum. Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!

Anniversary

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

TTC/BFP/FF details in bio

Re: can anyone give insight into manual pumps?

• If that's what they'll cover, you might as well get one. It's good to have as a backup, and they travel well in a purse for situations where it's awkward to bring an electric (say, a  job interview).

Medela Harmony or Avent Isis are the most popular.

If you're going back to work or have a need to pump much, you'll still want an electric. 

• I was given a Medela Harmony from my hospital. It works fine but sometimes loses suction. It only comes with one milk container but Dr. Brown's bottles fit on it fine, you just have to be careful bc they can come off at times if you don't watch them. How often do you plan on pumping! Manuals take a LONG time to pump with! My son was born on January 6th and I'm still waiting for my electric pump covered by insurance!
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan on EPing, though I hear that some women never get "empty" EPing so I might do some direct nursing. I'm pretty skeptical of manual pumps for constant use, but was hoping that soemone had one they loved!

Anniversary

• Most EP-ers will tell you if you can nurse, nurse. It's a LOT of work to EP. And I would say totally impossible with only a manual pump.
  • If you can get one for free I definitely would.  I have a Medela Harmony and I can get just as much milk out as with my PISA, it just takes longer.  I wouldn't rely on it for everyday use, but for short trips out of town where I want to have a pump for backup, I recommend it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• I have the Lansinoh and Medela Harmony manual pumps.  I prefer the Harmony by far.  The handle slopes downward and rotates 360 degrees which makes pumping one handed pretty easy.  It's also a lot easier to clean.  I rarely use the Lansinoh now and tossed it in my car to have just in case.

Even if you have an electric, it's a good idea to have a manual in case the electric one stops working or to toss into your bag or car.  LO only nurses from one side sometimes, so I use the Harmony to pump the other.  I've built a decent freezer stash this way.  I could do the same with my electric but I like being able to easily pump on the couch, in bed, etc. with the Harmony. 

I will say that Medela's customer service left a lot to desire when it stopped working.  My sister gave me hers, though, and I haven't had any issues with it.  Maybe I just got a bad one.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• I honestly preferred my Medela Harmony over my PISA. I can't say why exactly except that it was more comfortable to me. It obviously wasn't practical to use everyday when I went to work but I used it more often than I thought I would. I could pump just as much with it as I could an electric pump. It was very handy when I had to travel for the day for work. I could just toss it in with my little cooler and go.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with both of tokenhoser's posts. I like my Harmony for occasional use (once or twice a week), but I would get a double electric for more often, esp. EPing.

But you might as well get the free manual for backup.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hand Pumps

I recommend that all nursing women have a hand pump, including those that also have an electric pump. It is great for traveling or going to any other event where you don't want to schlep around your huge electric breastpump. I can't tell you how many times I've used my hand pump on road trips, running into the bathroom to get some relief during an unexpectedly long meeting at work, and even during a power outage. Yes, it takes a longer time to express a bottle, but it's really not that bad. I use it every time I fly back East, as there is NO WAY I am checking my Pump In Style or having it serve as my one precious carry-on. Forget it!

A hand pump is perfect for once-in-a-while pumpers. They are cheap, portable, discreet and don't require a power supply. The one that I recommend is the Medela Harmony (~ $30).

Medela Harmony

• Thanks everyone! I appreciate your feedback.

As for why I'd like to EP, it's mostly because I don't want to be the on;y one who can feed LO. I want DH to have that bonding experience, as well as friends and family. I also want to feel like I have some possession of my own body, though I may be overthinking that one. When LO gets here, and I actually experience BFing, I may decide to go that route. Or, if I don't have a decent supply I will go to FF. Just right now, EPing seems to be the most desirable option for me.

I do plan on having a double electric as well, but we'll see how it all shakes out at the time.

Thanks again! Have a great day! 

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"