Cloth Diapering

Considering CDing but a little confused

So this may be a stupid question but I saw the new CD at Target yesterday and thought it was a great idea. I had a very nice young lady come over and tell me about her experience and told me about Sun Baby and Alva. My question is this... When your LO goes number one are you supposed to change the whole diaper or just the insert? I didn't think it would be sanitary if you do not change the whole thing. I am just imagining the tons of laundry already. Although I do believe that it is better for baby and the environment and the pocketbook. Thanks ladies.

Re: Considering CDing but a little confused

• I think some ladies with more experience will be better suited to give a more detailed response, but what I have learned here is that if you are using prefolds (with Snappi) you can reuse the covers through the day unless they are really soiled.  If you only tri-fold the prefolds and use them as an insert inside the cover, you will need to replace the cover at each change. 

If you are using Pocket diapers, you will need to replace the entire diaper at each change.  Like a disposable. 

**Ladies with experience, please correct me if I am wrong in any of that.**

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Sunbabies and Alvababies are pocket diapers, so you need to change the whole diaper.  If you use prefolds and covers, you only need to change the cover if it gets poop on it, since those covers are wipeable.  Laundry for me is once every 2-3 days.  Easier than dressing baby up to go to the store for more diapers!  I have a large stash with a lot of brand name All in ones and pocket diapers, (though, honestly, now that DD poops less, I prefer my prefolds and covers...could have saved a lot more $$$) and for one child I will spend about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of disposables.  Plus any future children will be diapered for free, since I already own them.  The diapers are cute... I'd rather do diaper laundry than my other laundry any day!

• Loading the player...
  • imagemegemoney:

I think some ladies with more experience will be better suited to give a more detailed response, but what I have learned here is that if you are using prefolds (with Snappi) you can reuse the covers through the day unless they are really soiled.  If you only tri-fold the prefolds and use them as an insert inside the cover, you will need to replace the cover at each change. 

If you are using Pocket diapers, you will need to replace the entire diaper at each change.  Like a disposable. 

This is only if baby poops.  Now that DD only poops once a day, I change the cover after she poops.  If it's just wet, it doesn't need to be changed each time.

Usually if I'm just using prefolds and covers for the day, I'll use 2-3 covers each day.

• Additionally, some people try to use a pocket as a cover. While this is good in theory.. You shouldn't reuse it like a cover if poop or pee get on the pocket part of the diaper which is likely. So it mean pockets as covers should still be a one time use.

If you want to reuse a cover it should be a wipeable cover or wool. Otherwise it is a one time use. And it's best to let the covers air dry between uses.
  • imagetjkdlhb:
    imagemegemoney:

I think some ladies with more experience will be better suited to give a more detailed response, but what I have learned here is that if you are using prefolds (with Snappi) you can reuse the covers through the day unless they are really soiled.  If you only tri-fold the prefolds and use them as an insert inside the cover, you will need to replace the cover at each change. 

This is only if baby poops.  Now that DD only poops once a day, I change the cover after she poops.  If it's just wet, it doesn't need to be changed each time.

Usually if I'm just using prefolds and covers for the day, I'll use 2-3 covers each day.

Thanks for the clarification!  Still learning!

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
  • Thank you ladies for the information. I will have to research the prefolds and covers then. This seems like a better option. I am not due until mid June so it gives me some time to get more information.
  • imageNatC5104:
    Thank you ladies for the information. I will have to research the prefolds and covers then. This seems like a better option. I am not due until mid June so it gives me some time to get more information.

I was struggling with information on diapers & someone finally suggested I go to a cloth diaper store. I spent about an hour with an associate & I learned everything I need to know! I am also due in June & I'm buying a little at a time. As soon as you get that clarification, it is quite simple...now, to just put our babies in diapers....that is a different story (I'm hoping it's as easy as using disposables)!

• Cloth diapering 101 on youtube is great!  7 pt series

• I wanted to add that the diapers my target started carrying [charlie bananas] were not higher quality, by the look and feel of them. I would rather spend 17 on a higher quality diaper and possibly pay shipping, then spend 21 on one that seems inferior.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Generally, 2 days of pocket diapers = 1 load of laundry. I really like pockets more than prefolds.
  • Many diaper places offer free shipping or trials, check out Abbyslane, Diaperjunction, and nickisdiapers. :)
    image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"