September 2013 Moms

Intro Q

Hi,
I've been lurking here for a while. My DH and I start TTC Jan 2012 and after months of issues due being on birth control pills, we were successful! Currently I'm about 10wks and just had an appointment with my GP we don't get to go to an OB/GYN until much later here. Anyways at the appointment she tried using the Doppler to find the heartbeat but was unsuccessful which I was fine with. I am supposed to go back in a few weeks to try again but I am starting to panic. My DH and I decided to limit the number of u/s we get during the pregnancy. I didn't realize the Doppler was worse than the other u/s because it uses continuous waves vs. intermittent. Now I am so nervous that I did something wrong and have caused unnecessary harm.
Just wondering people's opinion on both u/s tests.

Re: Intro Q

• Congrats and welcome.

I haven't seen any credible research that shows that dopplers or u/s increase risks to baby. If it were the case, you'd have to sign a waiver to get the procedure done.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTristaD81:
    Congrats and welcome. I haven't seen any credible research that shows that dopplers or u/s increase risks to baby. If it were the case, you'd have to sign a waiver to get the procedure done.

This, exactly. Congrats! 

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • From what i understand the concern comes from frequent or prolonged use of doppler.  The frequency and duration of use when done by your care provider is considered safe and any (small) risk is greatly outweighed by the benefits.  Both doppler and u/s are considered safe when performed by medical professionals.  IF anything goes wrong, it wasn't because of something you did.

Also, from what i hear/read, it's at least as common not to hear the heartbeat at 10 weeks as it is to hear it.  I know i would worry in your shoes, but there's no reason to.

Feel free to ignore if you want that to remain private, but I'm curious where you live, given your comment, " I'm about 10wks and just had an appointment with my GP we don't get to go to an OB/GYN until much later here." 

Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • imageCDMay2006:

From what i understand the concern comes from frequent or prolonged use of doppler.  The frequency and duration of use when done by your care provider is considered safe and any (small) risk is greatly outweighed by the benefits.  Both doppler and u/s are considered safe when performed by medical professionals.  IF anything goes wrong, it wasn't because of something you did.

Also, from what i hear/read, it's at least as common not to hear the heartbeat at 10 weeks as it is to hear it.  I know i would worry in your shoes, but there's no reason to.

Feel free to ignore if you want that to remain private, but I'm curious where you live, given your comment, " I'm about 10wks and just had an appointment with my GP we don't get to go to an OB/GYN until much later here." 

all of this. dopplers are safe, and at my 10w appointment in my first pregnancy they did not hear a hb though with a u/s the baby was happy, healthy and moving around. 

I'm just hoping that at my appointment next week (=11.5 wks) they will hear the hb because I don't have a u/s scheduled yet and I might have to wait another 4 wks if they can't find one. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the info/replies!

CDMay2006, to answer your question, I'm in Atlantic Canada. 

• imageCDMay2006:

From what i understand the concern comes from frequent or prolonged use of doppler.  The frequency and duration of use when done by your care provider is considered safe and any (small) risk is greatly outweighed by the benefits.  Both doppler and u/s are considered safe when performed by medical professionals.  IF anything goes wrong, it wasn't because of something you did.

This.  It's the frequency of use and prolonged use that are the main concerns with ultrasound and doppler.  I'm sure your doc has a very well trained ultrasound technician and has nice new equipment.  

• imageGeekyGal:
    Thanks for the info/replies!

CDMay2006, to answer your question, I'm in Atlantic Canada. 

I'm increasingly interested in how pregnancy and birth is handled/talked about in different places.  Thanks for sharing :)
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • No problem. I really wish I lived somewhere else with more resources/options but so that is life :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"