Breastfeeding

1 week nursing schedule advice

LO is 1 week today and he lost 14oz. In the hospital so the LC and pedi told me to feed every 2-3 hrs then supplement ,5-1oz. After each feeding. We did this and I started pumping on day 3 to increase supply/decrease formula intake however it was so painful to wake him up and he'd cry/fuss for 30 min., then keep falling asleep on my breast while feeding. He rarely does 10-15 min. On a side before fussing and switching. His latch is great,  per the LC, and he gained 2oz. In the two days we've been home! Pedi now told me to feed him about every 3 hours during the day and let him wake up to feed at night, no more supplementing/pumping and to only feed for 30 min. Each time- for the past week it's taken 1-1,5 hrs. Per feeding so he want getting any sleep or very little in between feedings. I've read a bunch of posts on here and keep seeing 2hr. Intervals between feedings. If I have to continuously wake him up during feeding, does that mean that he want getting enough sleep and 3 hours is sufficient or just normal and I should feed more frequently by forcing him to wake up and eat?

Re: 1 week nursing schedule advice

• I would continue 2 hours by day and go to 3-4 overnight. I also wouldn't cut a daytime feed off - keep him on the boob as much as possible / as much as you can stand.
  • I fed my LO by demand until he was about 10 weeks, then since I went back to work it became a more scheduled thing. About every 3-4 hours.

Personally, I wouldn't supplement. Unless your comfortable with it of course. I think since your baby is only a week old your should still be in the transition phase before your milk fully comes in. It took mine about 2 weeks. They give you all these specific dates an then us new moms panic if we don't hit said timeline. Nursing when baby wants is a good way to get your body used to cluster feedings and to keep baby full.

As for the falling asleep while eating, that's super common for newborns. If you feel like baby isn't getting enough then tickle his feet to gently wake him or remove blankets or clothing to change the babies tempurature. Usually at that age 10-20 minutes of nursing is common.

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with nursing every 2 hours during the day, and keep feeding him at night. Until his growth is consistently steady, I probably would get him up after 4 hours of sleep at night, and then at least once more, if he's not waking himself.

Can you explain more why it's taking 1-1.5 hrs to feed him each time, is it because he's dozing off so much?  Some things you could do: feed him in a diaper only, keep him on the cool side and not as warm and cozy; change diaper between sides; tickle feet as someone else said; compress your breast after letdown slows - when flow slows, he'll fall asleep. If it looks like he's falling asleep, tickle under his jaw, or do so in advance of when you think he might be getting drowsy; switch sides sooner, and don't be afraid to go back and forth a couple times.  It's ideal to get QUALITY feedings in to establish your supply and for him to get the whole letdown of milk in the course of that feeding, both the carby milk and the gradual change to fattier milk. 

• We are two weeks out with slow weight gain as well.  I wake every two hours from the start of the last feeding to eat again.  At night I try to go every three hours, but I won't lie that sometimes I just sleep and let him wake me.  There's only so much lack of sleep one person can take. :)   It's important they eat frequently though.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies. We've tried letting him wake us at night for the past 2 nights and that's gone well. If he wants to eat in between theb3 hr. intervals, I'm feeding him as well, so we'll see how he does with weight gain. I'm happy to abandon the formula :) I appreciate all of your feedback!
  • imagevmjones05:
    Thanks ladies. We've tried letting him wake us at night for the past 2 nights and that's gone well. If he wants to eat in between theb3 hr. intervals, I'm feeding him as well, so we'll see how he does with weight gain. I'm happy to abandon the formula :) I appreciate all of your feedback!

Do keep us posted how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"