March 2013 Moms

Can someone walk me through the concept of "pump and dump" ?

So lately I've been fantasizing about a glass of red wine...but I plan on breastfeeding.  I've heard other mamas talking about the "pump and dump" method to make sure you are not giving your baby breast milk with any alcohol content... but I'm not exactly sure how this all works.  Is it just the feeding after you have an alcoholic drink, or an entire day's worth of milk..? Anyone? I have a breast pump and plan on trying to pump to have some milk frozen just in case...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can someone walk me through the concept of "pump and dump" ?

• As long as you're not nursing right away, it's generally not necessary:

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/ 

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • There is also Hp strips you can buy to check your milk for any alcohol if you are worried.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, you will very rarely need to pump and dump unless you are getting super drunk. A glass or two of wine or beer is no big deal. My lactation consulatant told me if I could drive a car, i can feed my kid. In the 15 months I nursed my daughter, I only dumped twice-- The combination of physically dumping milk down the drain, and having to deal with a baby hung over, prevented me from ever drinking too much. As the previous poster said, kellymom is a great resourse for all things breastfeeding as well as the test at home strips. I had some strips, but rarely used them.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You really only need to pump and dump if you are having more than one glass. If you are really concerned about it you can pick up breast milk alcohol test strips at Target. They will give you an answer as to if you are really transmitting any of it to your baby. Also, many people will tell you to breast feed right before you drink and this is another great option it just takes some more planning and may get hard during cluster feedings later on.
    Roll Tide Baby BabyFruit TickerBabyName Ticker
  • As PP's have said, a glass of wine is not going to harm LO. Getting super drunk would require pumping and dumping, but there is not really a need to worry otherwise. Places like Target have strips to test for alcohol breastmilk if you are really concerned.
  • The best I have heard is to use the same thought process as if you were to drive. Roughly one drink per hour would be well within acceptable limits. If you couldn't or shouldn't drive then you shouldn't breast feed.

Although to my mind if you shouldn't drive you maybe shouldn't be holding a baby anyway so it kinda self regulates ;
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"