February 2013 Moms

Is it just me or

Does it seems like everyone is breastfeeding? Everywhere I turn it seems like that is the only thing people are doing or do the formula feed mothers not discuss? I am still trying the breastfeeding route and supplementing after every feed, but I don't want to give up yet. So i was just wondering who is supplementing along with breast feeding or just straight formula feeding?

Re: Is it just me or

• I thought your question was going to be is it just me or is everyone having trouble breast feeding? I am having a lot of trouble and feel like others are too. It's so frustrating because this is supposed to be so natural yet it's so difficult. Good luck to all I'm getting ready to quit and can't stand the mommy guilt.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes the mommy guilt is the worst! My SIL had a baby in July and is still BF. I feel like if she can do it for 7 months i can do if for a few months, but it is so hard and with low milk supply that is not helping. I know no one is judging me and my husband will bd supportive no matter what, but what a failure to throw in the towel so soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • To me it seems like everyone is formula feeding. It seems that most people are not exclusively breastfeeding. 

I agree with people that we hear a lot about BFing because it's so gosh-darn difficult. I know it's the only thing I ever post about. 

• I'm supplementing along with breastfeeding! So you are not alone in the not wanting to give up on BF'ing.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm EBF, but my roommate's LO lost a lot of weight after leaving the hospital and wasn't gaining it back fast enough. So she started supplementing with 2 formula bottles a day. It helped to get her weight up. I think making sure LO is healthy is the most important thing. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not able to bf due to medication I take so I'm ff only. 

My sister just stopped bf'ing after a year, but she pumped. 

BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• IRL I have several friends who also just had babies. All but one is having to supplement with formula, so you are not alone. I have had really good luck with BFing, but it still has its challenges.
  • You are not alone!  We are also supplementing- since my daughter was in the NICU for 4 days and being fed formula due to hypoglycemia we have not had much success with latching.  Went to a BF support group at the hospital yesterday and the LC's think she may also have tongue tie so need to ask the Pedi about that tomorrow.  What you need to remember is that formula or breastmilk will nourish your baby!  We are not bad Mom's because we are giving them formula, we are good Mom's for making sure that our babies have what they need to grow.  I had issues with my son latching as well and I wrecked myself with guilt over it.  A little perspective (once the pregnancy hormones were gone) really helped me realize that nobody was judging me as much as I was judging myself.  My son is a happy and extremely healthy toddler- in fact he has only been sick a handful of times- probably the healthiest kid I know.  Hang in there- it does get easier!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was really trying to breastfeed.  I thought it would save us money in the long run, but my milk never came in.  Even though the nurses said just keep trying my DS was starving.  I supplimented at first and then I went all formula.  Its acutally a lot easier.  My son was born 9lbs 14 oz lol so he likes food.  I feel like you are looked down on if you don't breastfeed, but I had to do what was best for DS.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Verovladamir is right about judgment either way!! Today is he first time I'm venturing out for a social function, and will be the first time I may have to nurse in public somewhere other than my OB's office. I'm already preparing myself to have to explain the legal protections for breastfeeding in case someone complains, especially since I'll be at a restaurant and people seem especially weird about that. But I can guarantee I'd get just as much judgment, even if it was silent, if I were to give DD a bottle at the restaurant, even if it was pumped breast milk!

Ultimately we all have to do what's best for our babies, and sometimes that means supplementing with formula to make sure they get the food they need. Just keep trying on the breastfeeding front if that's your goal remember to pump when you supplement so your body still knows it needs to make milk, etc, etc and as long as you've given it your best effort and are doing what you feel is best for you baby there is no need to feel guilty no matter how things work out breastfeeding, formula feeding, or a combination of the two.

• I was pumping and supplementing while we worked on DD2's latch, but as of yesterday I stopped pumping and we're FFing. My supply tanked - same as it did with DD1 about 3w after my EDD (DD1 was a preemie, so it was 9 weeks after she was born, thankfully).

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I'm also BFing and supplementing. I know exactly how you feel! I felt horrible about giving DS formula because I wanted to badly to EBF at least until I go back to work in the fall, but he was starving and I needed to do what was best. All the ladies on this board have made me feel so much better about that decision. I still feel a little guilty, especially because FF is so much easier - but I'm determined to stick it out a little longer. Good luck to you - I think there are a lot of us in the same boat!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• I am exclusively formula feeding due to personal choices. I never say anything about it because people will just lash out at me about. I suspect others probably feel the same way so perhaps thats why you dont hear too many people talk about FF only. Just a thought...
  • I think it just feels that way on these boards because there are way more questions regarding BF and BFing is much more stressful in the beginning for a lot of people. Also, as another poster said, a lot of people try in the very beginning but ultimately end up FF. In real life, I have only 2 friends that BFed. Everyone else I know FF. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • For my first, this describes my situation exactly: 

imageverovladamir:
    The guilt is the worst. I started supplementing when my son was 9 months old because I wasn't pumping enough and I felt terrible. Honest, there is guilt/shame either way. When I nurse in public I feel like everyone is judging me, but if I bottle feed I feel like people are wondering why I don't love my baby enough... .

I feel like you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. Mothers are harshly judged in our society? everyone thinks they should have a say in what a "good" mother is!! Why do I feel like my behavior is more policed now that I am a mom??

My second is 2 weeks old. I hope I will be able to continue breastfeeding, but who knows? Do what you think is best for your kid! Ignore the haters:) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"