Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Newbie to charting question

I've been doing lots of reading and researching about how to chart and when to take temps etc.  I'd love your thoughts on a timing piece since many of you have been charting for a long time.

So I wake up a lot of mornings before I need to be up. Sometimes an hour or so, but every morning it's different. The first morning I temped at 5:45am, but I'd been in and our of sleep since about 5am. Today, I tempted at 5:35am, but again, in and out of sleep for the hour and a half beforehand.  I'm thinking I'm just screwing myself over because of this. I mean I don't get out of bed at all, so I'm not sure if that changes things.  I'm only on day 4 in my cycle, so I'm thinking I still have plenty of time to get this temping time figured out.

So what would you do? Would you temp the minute you open your eyes or wait till I'm ready to get out of bed?  I've read about needing at least 3 hours and that's where I think I'm going wrong since I'm waking. I just worry that since my eyes pop open at different times I won't get a good read with charting.

Thanks so much for your thoughts as this go around I'm charting since I'm coming off of mirena so I feel so new to this. 

image @wa_tracy image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
My Ovulation Chart

Re: Newbie to charting question

• Options

I am a light/bad sleeper in the early morning hours, although I don't actually get up until after 8am.  I started setting the alarm on my phone for 5:40am every morning.  Then I temp, enter it in FF and roll over to go back to sleep.  If I just did it when I wake up every morning, my times (and open circles) would be all over the place. 

If you're in and out of sleep after 5am in general, perhaps you could set your alarm for then and just go back to sleep after you temp?  Also, I believe temping within 30mins of your usual time will still give you a closed circle, 10mins here and there won't be a big deal but you may want to double check FF on that one.

*********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I kind of have the same issue.

My alarm is set for 6:15am, but some days I wake up around 5 or 5:30am, check te clock, and go right back to sleep. So far I've just been waiting until 6:15am, unless I wake up at like 6am...then I just go ahead and temp. I'm not sure if the way I do it is right per FF, but I've been able to see a shift. My temps do get a little wacky and sometimes FF gives me fake-out CHs, but I can pretty much tell when I've actually O'd.

good luck to you!

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejaytee16:

I am a light/bad sleeper in the early morning hours, although I don't actually get up until after 8am.  I started setting the alarm on my phone for 5:40am every morning.  Then I temp, enter it in FF and roll over to go back to sleep.  If I just did it when I wake up every morning, my times (and open circles) would be all over the place. 

If you're in and out of sleep after 5am in general, perhaps you could set your alarm for then and just go back to sleep after you temp?  Also, I believe temping within 30mins of your usual time will still give you a closed circle, 10mins here and there won't be a big deal but you may want to double check FF on that one.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think my husband would kill me if I set the alarm because I'm already up earlier than him, but I think it's good to know the 30 minute time frame and I can just do the best with that knowledge.  My body does this to me on the weekends when I'm not working too. And my thermometer saves the last temp so I can read it when I actually get out of bed. 

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    imageCycloneErin:
    imagewaTracy:

Thanks for your thoughts. I think my husband would kill me if I set the alarm because I'm already up earlier than him, but I think it's good to know the 30 minute time frame and I can just do the best with that knowledge.  My body does this to me on the weekends when I'm not working too. And my thermometer saves the last temp so I can read it when I actually get out of bed. 

I set an alarm on my phone and put it under my pillow so I don't wake H up.  

I did that when I'd wake with my first daughter to pump when she was sleeping through the night. My husband, he just knows. And of course he could care less about the temping. ;) 

My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"