Third-Party Reproduction

Estrogen and migraines?

Hi, I've been taking estridol pills to prepare for transfer and they have given me horrible migraines. Has anyone else experienced this?

Two days ago I was so sick and vomiting so yesterday I got switched to estrogen patches. I'm hoping it will help.

I've never gotten migraines in my life so I'm wondering if it is related to estrogen...
M&K met 8/2002 married 6/2012
TTC with RE since March 2012
3 missed O's, 6 IUIs = 1 BFP then 8 w M/C, 5 BFNs
(2 unmedicated IUIs, 2 clomid IUI, 2 femara IUI)
Shared maternity/partner IVF, transfer #1 BFP!
EDD 11/28/13

Re: Estrogen and migraines?

• Yes, they absolutely can be linked.  I've gotten them since I was a teenager but always struggled to figure out the cause.  As a young adult, I was on birth control for years and never once considered that was the cause of my migraines. Then when we started TTC, I weaned off my daily migraine meds (meant to help prevent them).  I was so worried getting off the meds would mean migraines every day but instead, I was barely getting any.  I hadn't put together the fact that I'd also stopped my BCPs at the same time.  Then, when I did IVF last year, I had to take BCPs for a couple weeks and the migraines were awful.  They definitely contribute to migraines for me.
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I only used estrogen patches and prometrium suppositories to prepare for my transfer and did not have any noticable headaches until after I was pregnant. Then I definitely had some 'hormone headaches' that were signficant but not to migraine level. Hopefully the patches won't have any side effects for you!

Excited you are getting ready!!

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I had them this cycle also. They were horrible. Dr gave me Tylenol with Codeine .Once I started progesterone the headaches went away.
  • I've had migraines all my life. Hormones play a huge part in them. hormonal BC gave me tons of issues with them and now I can count on them during certain parts of my cycle. When I was pregnant with DD I was so lucky and grateful not to have any, but less than a week after she was born they came back with a vengeance. Sorry you're having to deal with them, I know they suck. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thank you ladies, the pharmacy told me that it wasn't a side effect and shouldn't be happening... Knowing I'm not alone makes it a bit better! So far, my doc switched me to patches and advised me to take baby aspirin. Feeling better today! 

I'm off to my psych eval this afternoon... to have psych sign off on our IVF. Ultrasounds for wife tomorrow to see how she is responding to the follistim and menapur... Exciting! 

M&K met 8/2002 married 6/2012
    TTC with RE since March 2012
    3 missed O's, 6 IUIs = 1 BFP then 8 w M/C, 5 BFNs
    (2 unmedicated IUIs, 2 clomid IUI, 2 femara IUI)
    Shared maternity/partner IVF, transfer #1 BFP!
    EDD 11/28/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"