August 2013 Moms

Question on A/S

So I just had my second appointment for my NT scan on Tuesday at 16 weeks. I was just curious if anyone knows if this scan is supposed to cover the A/S testing as well? My OB didn't bring it up today at my check up. The only thing is I thought those test were better done at 20 weeks. Just curious as if anyone else is not getting another scan at 20 weeks who got the NT scan. My OB just said we will have routine check up in 4 weeks.

Re: Question on A/S

• a/s are usually done at 18-22 weeks. 

Are you sure the 16 week appointment isn't just a check up? That's all mine is. I pee in a cup, they check my BP, listen for the heartbeat and ask if I have any questions.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My 16w visit was the Doppler, a pap, a general checkin and the second blood draw for the sequential screen. The NT scan and another blood draw was the first part.

ETA my AS is April 1, at appx 22w.
    image"">imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I would call your OB and ask. Maybe your OB assumed that you had your next appt. shceduled as an A/S or maybe they just didnt realize the dates? They will be able to look in your records and see what tests/scans have been done so far and be able to tell you what you need to schedule.

• NT scan is done before 14 weeks, a/s is usually done between 18-22 weeks. I have no idea what they are doing at your appt.
    Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• imageBelhurstBride:
    a/s are usually done at 1822 weeks.nbsp;Are you sure the 16 week appointment isn't just a check up? That's all mine is. I pee in a cup, they check my BP, listen for the heartbeat and ask if I have any questions. nbsp;

I had my check up today and on Tuesday at the second part of my NT scan done where they did another ultra sound that measured the baby and more blood work.
  • imageScarletOflaherty:
    NT scan is done before 14 weeks, a/s is usually done between 1822 weeks. I have no idea what they are doing at your appt.

I had two appointment for my NT scan. One at 12 weeks and the second one was this Tuesday at 16 weeks. When I went in today to have a check up she just said the next testing I will have done will be the glucose test at 24 weeks. And my next appointment will just be a routine check up.

Edit: I go to a perinatal office for my NT scan and that's where I got two ultra sounds and blood work done at both visits.
  • Just give them a call. Normally that doesn't cover the a/s that early.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imagebtexeira1:
    imageBelhurstBride:
    a/s are usually done at 1822 weeks.nbsp;Are you sure the 16 week appointment isn't just a check up? That's all mine is. I pee in a cup, they check my BP, listen for the heartbeat and ask if I have any questions. nbsp;
    I had my check up today and on Tuesday at the second part of my NT scan done where they did another ultra sound that measured the baby and more blood work.

I've never heard of a 2 part u/s for the NT scan.  With both pregnancies I had the NT u/s and bloodwork around 12 weeks and then had a second round of bloodwork at 16 weeks.

My OB schedules the A/S between 19 & 21 weeks.  It is much more detailed than the NT u/s as they are checking all the body parts/organs etc.

I would call your OB and ask.

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • imageshelbell1028:

imagebtexeira1:
    imageBelhurstBride:
    a/s are usually done at 1822 weeks.nbsp;Are you sure the 16 week appointment isn't just a check up? That's all mine is. I pee in a cup, they check my BP, listen for the heartbeat and ask if I have any
    questions. nbsp;

I've never heard of a 2 part u/s for the NT scan.  With both pregnancies I had the NT u/s and bloodwork around 12 weeks and then had a second round of bloodwork at 16 weeks.

My OB schedules the A/S between 19 & 21 weeks.  It is much more detailed than the NT u/s as they are checking all the body parts/organs etc.

I just figured it was a second part to my NT scan because I thought it was to early for the A/S and they did another ultra sound and did measure the baby. I am supposed to be receiving a call back tomorrow so I can ask then. Thank you! I was just wanting to make sure that 16 weeks is to early and I should still be getting the A/S done.
  • imageBelhurstBride:

a/s are usually done at 18-22 weeks. 

Are you sure the 16 week appointment isn't just a check up? That's all mine is. I pee in a cup, they check my BP, listen for the heartbeat and ask if I have any questions.  

this.

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• imageV&G101808:
    imageBelhurstBride:

a/s are usually done at 18-22 weeks. 

this.

I went to both appointments this week already. The OB I went to today and had my routine check up. Tuesday I went to the same office I had my NT scan done at 12 weeks and they scheduled another at 16 weeks which was Tuesday. They did another ultra sound and took measurements of the baby and I had my second blood work done. I thought when I went in today my OB would bring up the AS but she didn't. So I wasn't sure if it was covered with my appointment on Tuesday and I thought 16 wks was to early for that test. I will just call an ask her thoughts. Thank you
  • imageshelbell1028:

imagebtexeira1:
    imageBelhurstBride:

I was told I'm getting a 2 part A/S, in addition to the NT scan I already had. So I'm getting 12w, 16w & 20w. My MFM has repeatedly referred to the 16w & 20 as Anatomy Scan. When I asked my OB about all of this (whose with a completely different practice), she said it was "pretty standard" and just additional genetic screening. I still don't know exactly what it's all testing for....

Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • imagekatharine25:
    imageshelbell1028:

imagebtexeira1:
    imageBelhurstBride:

I was told I'm getting a 2 part A/S, in addition to the NT scan I already had. So I'm getting 12w, 16w & 20w. My MFM has repeatedly referred to the 16w & 20 as Anatomy Scan. When I asked my OB about all of this (whose with a completely different practice), she said it was "pretty standard" and just additional genetic screening. I still don't know exactly what it's all testing for....

I stand corrected!  Neither of my OB's have ever mentioned this.  I wonder if its something new they are doing?

And I keep meaning to ask - what is MFM?

image imageimage

• imageshelbell1028:
    imagekatharine25:
    imageshelbell1028:

imagebtexeira1:
    imageBelhurstBride:

I stand corrected!  Neither of my OB's have ever mentioned this.  I wonder if its something new they are doing?

Maternal Fetal Medicine. They are high-risk Dr.'s. There's also Perinatologists. My very loose understanding is MFM's deal with high risk patients when the thigh-risk stems from the mother, and Peri's specializes when the high- risk is the baby, but I think there's a huge overlap as well.  I see an MFM for clotting risks. Also, a lot of OB's don't have the equipment for level 2 scans like the NT or the A/S so you'll get  a referral to a MFM or Peri.

Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • imagekatharine25:
    imageshelbell1028:
    imagekatharine25:
    imageshelbell1028:

imagebtexeira1:
    imageBelhurstBride:

Maternal Fetal Medicine. They are high-risk Dr.'s. There's also Perinatologists. My very loose understanding is MFM's deal with high risk patients when the thigh-risk stems from the mother, and Peri's specializes when the high- risk is the baby, but I think there's a huge overlap as well.  I see an MFM for clotting risks. Also, a lot of OB's don't have the equipment for level 2 scans like the NT or the A/S so you'll get  a referral to a MFM or Peri.

Thank you!

image imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"